• Replies 14.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

I was too rough to go to that.  I was at the one the season previous against the same opposition at the same venue and it was horrible.

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I was too rough to go to that.  I was at the one the season previous against the same opposition at the same venue and it was horrible.

Other way round for me. Missed the first one with some kind of flu bug. What a day out the other one was. When Tansey’s goal hit the rigging I thought we would skelp them about 3-0. Jamie Hamill’s spot kick was another highlight, somehow we knew he would miss it after us holding out with 9 men, and him being a right wee c**t, then Draper stroked in the winner. We all went back to the Iona and my mate got Dean Brill’s glove 😂

6 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

Other way round for me. Missed the first one with some kind of flu bug. What a day out the other one was. When Tansey’s goal hit the rigging I thought we would skelp them about 3-0. Jamie Hamill’s spot kick was another highlight, somehow we knew he would miss it after us holding out with 9 men, and him being a right wee c**t, then Draper stroked in the winner. We all went back to the Iona and my mate got Dean Brill’s glove 😂

I don’t think I’ve ever celebrated something that wasn’t a goal as much as I did Jamie Hamill missing that penalty. Poetic as he walked down waving his hands and then the smarmy little c**t missed it 

Tanseys goal might be one of my favourite ever Caley goals I’ve seen live, it was killing someone in the stand if the net didn’t stop it :lol:

31 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I don’t think I’ve ever celebrated something that wasn’t a goal as much as I did Jamie Hamill missing that penalty. Poetic as he walked down waving his hands and then the smarmy little c**t missed it 

Tanseys goal might be one of my favourite ever Caley goals I’ve seen live, it was killing someone in the stand if the net didn’t stop it :lol:

I think you can see me in the highlights after that miss absolutely raging with joy having fallen over a couple of people in sheer ecstasy.

Went to both of those hearts games at Easter road. The first one was a horrible experience but the second more than made up for it.

What a rollercoaster of emotions you went through.

As each week goes by I keep going from confident we will stay up to extremely worried we are going down and vice versa.

Our home form is absolutely horrendous and we really struggle to break teams down who are happy to sit in and let us have the ball. I thought Dunc was going to be quite flexible tactically going from a 4 to 5 at the back but we seem to be set with this 3 or 5, whatever you want to call it, and I’m not sure it’s the right option for playing at home. Arbroath, Morton and today all good examples of it not working. We need to have proper constant width and you don’t get that with how we are playing. We also didn’t bring anybody in to make playing with wingers an option.

It is fine for away games but we can’t carry on the way we’ve been going at home. Maybe if you can get Anderson and Macallister in the team together it might help but I’m not sure it will.

Edited by PB1994

For those that are at the games, what are we doing better under Ferguson compared to Dodds? 

To be clear I'm not advocating that Dodds shouldn't have been sacked. I think he had to go but I feel like we are just as rudderless right now and I'm becoming more and more convinced that we are heading for League 1 via the playoffs. 

6 minutes ago, RiG said:

For those that are at the games, what are we doing better under Ferguson compared to Dodds? 

To be clear I'm not advocating that Dodds shouldn't have been sacked. I think he had to go but I feel like we are just as rudderless right now and I'm becoming more and more convinced that we are heading for League 1 via the playoffs. 

To preface this I’ve been to about 6/7 games since Dunc came in. 

For me (and anyone can feel free to disagree) is there’s a clear(er) style of play under Ferguson. It’s very much neat passing and if there’s no opening go back the way and start again.

When it works, it’s brilliant. Last week against Raith we opened them up a fair few times (they were playing some mad 3-6-1 formation tbf).  However, against Airdrie on the 2nd Jan we looked utterly hopeless and had one shot I think. 

There were times against Airdrie, Harper picked up the ball with space to run but he was only 5-10 yards outside our own box so in effect he has to run 70-80 yards to put a cross in. Which is probably a draw back of playing 5 at the back in that the left and right wing backs are expected to provide the attacking width but also defend. 

The 5 at the back probably is hindering us in some games. I think Dunc introduced it so stop shipping goals and make us more solid but if a teams playing 1 upfront do we really need 3 centre backs? The fact we’ve signed no wingers in the window says to me this formation is the one we’ll be playing til the end of the season. 

Some of the games remind me of Yogi’s first half season if I’m honest. I remember a game at Partick where we looked hopeless and Danny Williams was playing centre mid. However in that season we had the luxury of Butchers good start to the season to not have to worry about relegation. 

I’ve not been to any home games so some of the other lads can speak about those

6 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

To preface this I’ve been to about 6/7 games since Dunc came in. 

For me (and anyone can feel free to disagree) is there’s a clear(er) style of play under Ferguson. It’s very much neat passing and if there’s no opening go back the way and start again.

When it works, it’s brilliant. Last week against Raith we opened them up a fair few times (they were playing some mad 3-6-1 formation tbf).  However, against Airdrie on the 2nd Jan we looked utterly hopeless and had one shot I think. 

There were times against Airdrie, Harper picked up the ball with space to run but he was only 5-10 yards outside our own box so in effect he has to run 70-80 yards to put a cross in. Which is probably a draw back of playing 5 at the back in that the left and right wing backs are expected to provide the attacking width but also defend. 

The 5 at the back probably is hindering us in some games. I think Dunc introduced it so stop shipping goals and make us more solid but if a teams playing 1 upfront do we really need 3 centre backs? The fact we’ve signed no wingers in the window says to me this formation is the one we’ll be playing til the end of the season. 

Some of the games remind me of Yogi’s first half season if I’m honest. I remember a game at Partick where we looked hopeless and Danny Williams was playing centre mid. However in that season we had the luxury of Butchers good start to the season to not have to worry about relegation. 

I’ve not been to any home games so some of the other lads can speak about those

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up for me. We have a obvious style of play/game plan where as under Dodds it very much felt, to me anyway, that it was stick 11 players on the park and hope for the best.

Much more solid defensively too, though still conceding some questionable goals but going forward we just lack that creative spark or any sort of pace. It’s just that something a bit different to get the opposition worried. 

I don’t think we are far away from where we need to be but trying to get that extra attacking threat is going to be extremely difficult.

4 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

Yeah, this pretty much sums it up for me. We have a obvious style of play/game plan where as under Dodds it very much felt, to me anyway, that it was stick 11 players on the park and hope for the best.

This was particularly annoying under Dodds when we had Samuels playing as a winger, I’m sure there’s other examples too

Where were all the young team today that provided the best atmosphere last time around? 

As for any before and after difference, there isn't much. More possession v more long ball but no end product is the constant. 

Maybe if we could rely on a steady income stream, we could recruit the players that would make a difference. 

22 minutes ago, RiG said:

The obvious difference is we have a clear style / formation now which has been alluded to above. I mainly attend home matches and it’s been tough viewing for the most part. 

The target under Dodds was promotion and under Ferguson avoid relegation, so it’s difficult to compare much.

I would just say if Dodds was in charge for some of Fergusons performances and results this season some folk on this thread would’ve imploded. 

5 minutes ago, NorthStand10 said:

I would just say if Dodds was in charge for some of Fergusons performances and results this season some folk on this thread would’ve imploded. 

I mean, you’re not wrong but Ferguson was left with a complete shambles of a squad, that Dodds helped to create, so he does get a bit of a pass on somethings.

That said he has brought in 7 players this window so he doesn’t really get that pass now.

8 minutes ago, NorthStand10 said:

The obvious difference is we have a clear style / formation now which has been alluded to above. I mainly attend home matches and it’s been tough viewing for the most part. 

The target under Dodds was promotion and under Ferguson avoid relegation, so it’s difficult to compare much.

On your last point, the difference is that this was Dodds 3rd season in charge so that’s 3 pre seasons, 3 summer windows and 2 January windows he had and our squad was significantly worse and there still wasn’t a really a style of play. Whether that’s down to budgets or him not being able to spot a player, we’ll never really know. Dunc’s not had a pre-season and he’s only had a January window which isn’t really the ideal time to be looking for players, unless you’re splashing the cash of course.

If in a years time we’re putting in similarly shite performances I can bet most of us on here will be as negative about Dunc as we were Dodds. 

1 minute ago, Central Belt Caley said:

On your last point, the difference is that this was Dodds 3rd season in charge so that’s 3 pre seasons, 3 summer windows and 2 January windows he had and our squad was significantly worse and there still wasn’t a really a style of play. Whether that’s down to budgets or him not being able to spot a player, we’ll never really know. Dunc’s not had a pre-season and he’s only had a January window which isn’t really the ideal time to be looking for players, unless you’re splashing the cash of course.

If in a years time we’re putting in similarly shite performances I can bet most of us on here will be as negative about Dunc as we were Dodds. 

The budget was cut this season apparently and I do exonerate Dodds from much of the transfer market dealings as we had a director of football above him. 

In regards to your last paragraph, if results and performances are still shite in 1 year you can bet your bottom dollar I’ll be going down on the Big Dunc Ship just like Mr Dodds’!

9 minutes ago, NorthStand10 said:

The budget was cut this season apparently and I do exonerate Dodds from much of the transfer market dealings as we had a director of football above him. 

In regards to your last paragraph, if results and performances are still shite in 1 year you can bet your bottom dollar I’ll be going down on the Big Dunc Ship just like Mr Dodds’!

On your first paragraph, I don’t know if you listen to the excellent Wyness Shuffle (I think @RiG has/had some involvement) but on their pre-Christmas pod Dodds said he had the final say on all transfers and I think his words were “ the wee man (Robbo) did bring me a couple”. Referring to Robbo as “wee man” makes me think there’s truth to the rumours they didn’t get on but that’s another story.

I do think Dodds had the majority of the say over transfers if I’m honest going by his comments, but the secrecy from the club over Robbo’s actual role and what he was upto, only folk ITK will know the truth.