• Replies 16.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• TheScarf

• RiG

• PB1994

There has always been a potential player in Shaw in my opinion but he really needs to be played on the left wing. Thought he was quite poor in the number 10 role last night, especially in the first half, despite him grabbing the opening goal.

50 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Yep, 2 seasons of a really poor standard of team in the league and with the squad and experience we had last year not getting promoted was a failure.  This season has been worse, the last 3 weeks doesn't mask the fact.

You cant go October to February without a win 2 seasons in a row and expect to be kept on.

Last seasons bad run was inexcusable but this season I do mainly put it down to the injuries, some of the lineups we were fielding were majorly lacking in quality, squad depth and pace. Albeit I think we should have still done slightly better regardless of the injuries.

14 minutes ago, NorthStand10 said:

Last seasons bad run was inexcusable but this season I do mainly put it down to the injuries, some of the lineups we were fielding were majorly lacking in quality, squad depth and pace. Albeit I think we should have still done slightly better regardless of the injuries.

Some but not all. The poor back to back defeats against Hamilton recently for example had probably our strongest starting XI save for Robbie Deas who was on the bench. It's had an effect but I also think it's been overplayed as an excuse for our miserable mid season run of form.

A strong argument for Dodds staying would be the benefit of continuity, although this is somewhat undermined by what is likely to be a large turnover of players. There are no managers out there who I’d want, off the top of my head. Doesn’t mean there isn’t better out there though 

I think we're going to see a lot of the current squad move on. Deas is a goner surely but someone like Allardice will probably have some suitors from bottom half Premiership sides. Maybe he is still just under the radar enough that he might not move but I wouldn't be shocked to see him depart. Billy Mckay will hopefully stay. 

But there will be big decisions to make on Sutherland, Walsh, Devine, Doran, Duffy, Samuels and Boyd. Of these Devine has the best case for staying but the others haven't really justified a future contract offer for me. 

Edited by RiG

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

I think we're going to see a lot of the current squad move on. Deas is a goner surely but someone like Allardice will probably have some suitors from bottom half Premiership sides. Maybe he is still just under the radar enough that he might not move but I wouldn't be shocked to see him depart. Billy Mckay will hopefully stay. 

But there will be big decisions to make on Sutherland, Walsh, Devine, Doran, Duffy, Samuels and Boyd. Of these Devine has the best case for staying but the others haven't really justified a future contract offer for me. 

Yeap, Deas will be gone. I don’t think we have any chance of keeping Allardice unfortunately. I’d have thought he would have a fair few premiership teams after him. I hope I’m wrong as I’d love him to stay.

Out of the rest I think Sutherland gets a new deal, did we give him a new deal after he was injured last season? I know it was a good thing to do if so and there will be big question marks if he can reproduce his performances given his injury and age but probably worth a go. I’d keep Devine and I think he’d sign one quite happily. I’d keep Duffy too. He’s not great at all but a solid back up across the back and he has been alright when he played right back with Carson in midfield.

With Allardice probably going, that might be something we see more of next season. Carson and Welsh playing together would be fine and Duffy gets a chance at right back though I’d still like to see us sign a proper one.

As for the rest they can all go. I quite like Samuels but I don’t think you can justify keeping him as you said.

2 hours ago, PB1994 said:

He’s done nothing to deserve a new deal. Battling for 4th going into the last few games of the season isn’t an achievement.

Correct, too much emphasis and excuses on injuries holding him back by his pals and the media when every team above us have been hampered by injuries throughout the season, to be scrambling for a play off spot with four games to go is  unacceptable.

He is not up to snuff for our club.

The season has been a massive failure, again.

If he gets even a sniff of a deal then they can have my season ticket, and I'm not alone in that thought.

50 minutes ago, scottbamby said:

A strong argument for Dodds staying would be the benefit of continuity, although this is somewhat undermined by what is likely to be a large turnover of players. There are no managers out there who I’d want, off the top of my head. Doesn’t mean there isn’t better out there though 

Dodds staying????? the only continuity would be failure again.

For players to go months on end without hardly any win bonuses does not gel a team.

We are facing, possibly, a mass player exodus at the end of May, we need to make a big managerial signing to give players confidence to re-sign, I know money is tight but you have to speculate to accumulate and a good known manager will motivate that.

The players know that the majority of fans want change. 

43 minutes ago, RiG said:

Devine, Duffy and Samuels should get new deals imo, would like to see Sutherland get maybe 6 months/year on a appearance related deal with the option to extend further if he comes back at the same level. As the second half of last season he was superb. 

Love Doran but he’s done at this level I think, Walsh is too injury prone even before this current injury and Boyd is miles off this level. 

Deas and Allardice are as good as gone imo 

45 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Dodds staying????? the only continuity would be failure again.

For players to go months on end without hardly any win bonuses does not gel a team.

We are facing, possibly, a mass player exodus at the end of May, we need to make a big managerial signing to give players confidence to re-sign, I know money is tight but you have to speculate to accumulate and a good known manager will motivate that.

The players know that the majority of fans want change. 

The thing I find slightly unusual is you were disappointed when John Robertson stepped aside along with a majority on this. 

I am genuinely interested to know from all those on this around that time why there were few calls for Robertson to go? Surely he failed too?

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

Robertson has County and United, then Hearts and Dundee to deal with.

Dodds had Killie, and ............. Queens Park?

Hearts aside they were all beatable. They had bigger budgets but so did Killie and Dundee - so what’s your point?

Robertson failed to beat any eventual champions in the league, not a single victory in 4 seasons if memory serves me correctly? 

He also struggled against weaker teams such as Alloa etc just as Dodds has against Hamilton etc.

They've both reached a semi final (Dodds could go one step further.) Dodds did much better in the play offs and took us closer to a title than JR ever did. 

I am in no way saying Dodds is a better manager than JR. However, if Dodds is a failure by certain measures then JR is too.

1 minute ago, NorthStand10 said:

Hearts aside they were all beatable. They had bigger budgets but so did Killie and Dundee - so what’s your point?

Robertson failed to beat any eventual champions in the league, not a single victory in 4 seasons if memory serves me correctly? 

He also struggled against weaker teams such as Alloa etc just as Dodds has against Hamilton etc.

They've both reached a semi final (Dodds could go one step further.) Dodds did much better in the play offs and took us closer to a title than JR ever did. 

I am in no way saying Dodds is a better manager than JR. However, if Dodds is a failure by certain measures then JR is too.

The league is weaker now than at any point when Robertson was in charge.  This season and last we should've been promoted and we won't be.  We weren't expected to do so when the league had bigger, stronger and more affluent teams in it than it does now.

6 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The league is weaker now than at any point when Robertson was in charge.  This season and last we should've been promoted and we won't be.  We weren't expected to do so when the league had bigger, stronger and more affluent teams in it than it does now.

Why should we have been promoted this season?? We don’t have the biggest budget, we don’t have the best squad and we were never favourites in the bookies or most people’s minds so why SHOULD we have won promotion this season?

Edited by Guest

Fuck me, because the league is weaker than when Robbo was in charge. and we have a settled, experienced squad with an experienced Premiership striker that should be challenging for the title.

Look mate, if you're Billy Dodds' son, just admit it to us.

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

f**k me, because the league is weaker than when Robbo was in charge. and we have a settled, experienced squad with an experienced Premiership striker that should be challenging for the title.

Look mate, if you're Billy Dodds' son, just admit it to us.

We don’t have the best squad, we don’t have the best manager, we don’t have the largest budget (4th largest possibly?) so no, while we’d love to win the title there is no SHOULD about it.