• Replies 14.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SandyCromarty

• RiG

• TheScarf

• PB1994

I see Arbroath have launched a fan Direct Debit payment service to boost their player budget.  I know another couple of clubs do that too, possibly Falkirk and Morton?  I was reading on Twitter the other day that a fan has contacted Gardiner a few times about setting one up only to be told we don't have a big enough fanbase for it to be worthwhile.

I think it's a great idea.  Arbroath have a 1 year minimum subscription too, which makes sense to stop all the fans who sign up to suddenly just cancel the DD and leave the club unable to pay certain wages.

I'd be happy to part with 50 or so a month towards something like that for The Caley.  Seeing as we seem intent on paying Gardiner a 6 figure salary that can't go to the player budget.

Edited by TheScarf

3 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I see Arbroath have launched a fan Direct Debit payment service to boost their player budget.  I know another couple of clubs do that foo, possibly Falkirk and Morton?  I was reading on Twitter the other day that a fan has contacted Gardiner a few times about setting one up only to be told we don't have a big enough fanbase for it to be worthwhile.

I think it's a great idea.  Arbroath have a 1 year minimum subscription too, which makes sense to stop all the fans who sign up to suddenly just cancel the DD and leave the club unable to pay certain wages.

I'd be happy to part with 50 or so a month towards something like that for The Caley.  Seeing as we seem intent on paying Gardiner a 6 figure salary that can't go to the player budget.

Think it’s a class idea tbh. If you had 20 folk paying 50 a month, there’s 1k to give a bit more to any players who we might want to keep. 

Reckon you’d have a load of folk happy to pay £20-50 a month depending on their circumstances.

They could enter everyone that pays in into a draw each month to win a signed shirt, a voucher for the club shop, free tickets etc. 

But f**k all that nonsense, battery farms are the way to go amirite fellas?

Aye even if it doesn’t have a lot of people signing up to contribute. Why wouldn’t you give the option for fans to literally hand you their money for nothing in return.

There’s obviously legal stuff to work out, tax implications possibly but come on to fuck, for the club to shoot it down straight away is moronic.

30 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I see Arbroath have launched a fan Direct Debit payment service to boost their player budget.  I know another couple of clubs do that too, possibly Falkirk and Morton?  I was reading on Twitter the other day that a fan has contacted Gardiner a few times about setting one up only to be told we don't have a big enough fanbase for it to be worthwhile.

Gardiner will have nothing to do with fans contributions, financial or otherwise, as his career is littered with fans criticism.

Any suggestion of financial sponsorship should be proposed to board level.

11 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

There’s obviously legal stuff to work out, tax implications possibly but come on to f**k, for the club to shoot it down straight away is moronic.

There is the option of a charitable trust which would reduce/negate tax liability.

5 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

Gardiner will have nothing to do with fans contributions, financial or otherwise, as his career is littered with fans criticism.

Any suggestion of financial sponsorship should be proposed to board level.

Scot Gardiner is in charge of the day to day running of the club and this would absolutely fall within his wheelhouse and would have the power to veto it.

20 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Scot Gardiner is in charge of the day to day running of the club and this would absolutely fall within his wheelhouse and would have the power to veto it.

He's a one man show who likes to give the impression he has overall control, pitch the idea to his employer the board as any financial decisions can only be made by a Company's Board not an employee.

Edited by SandyCromarty

Just now, SandyCromarty said:

He's a one man show who likes to give the impression he has overall control, pitch the idea to his employer the board as any financial decisions can only be made by a Company's Board not an employee.9

Come off it.  He will have veto'ed it before it got to the directors.

Jesus christ another defender.... please, please keep Boyes or Harper 🙏 would be gutted to see one of those 2 leave let alone both of them.

I honestly couldn't care about Duffy or Davidson let them go... 

Would be sad to see Devine go he can still do a job for us plus he's been a good servant & he has experience which is essential in such a young squad. 

Scouts from England were apparently looking at Harper recently so that's why I have a bad feeling about him...  if we can finish January with him & Boyes still on the books I'll be a happy man

Aye, we have a similar thing which I think we’ve had since about 2016 - literally just called the players fund. Pretty sure we have the option of ongoing, rolling donations or just making a one-off donation every so often. We also obviously have the fan ownership group putting in 10k a month to the club, but the players fund stuff gets specifically earmarked for the playing budget. 

Obviously it would require some work from Caley’s admin team to run the scheme, but even if you’re managing to bring in an extra couple of hundred quid a month it seems entirely worth it. The fact that Scot Gardiner would dismiss it out of hand is entirely in keeping with everything I know about him.

Edit: basically, football fans (including myself) are mugs, and football clubs seeking to maximise their income shouldn’t be turning away mugs seeking to give them money for f**k all. 

Edited by oneteaminglasgow

30 minutes ago, Central Belt Caley said:

1E802B4F-ABD2-4E79-A689-9AF64A6D9F61.thumb.png.6090b41f26cbb301dfd11f437eb2ff06.png

From the Arbroath website, stuff like this getting fans involved would be a great idea, obviously can change the thresholds depending on how many folk they think would sign up.

"Commemorative brick" :lol: