1 hour ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Hanlon was soft as shite in the top flight to be fair.

Disagree, genuinely think if he hadn't been injured for 2nd half of the season we wouldn't have been relegated, looked much weaker at the back without him.

4 minutes ago, The_Tache said:

Disagree, genuinely think if he hadn't been injured for 2nd half of the season we wouldn't have been relegated, looked much weaker at the back without him.

He was definitely the best centre-half in that squad but that's not saying much in my opinion.

For what it's worth I think he's improved since then and hope he continues to improve back in the Premiership.

Hanlon regularly used to get rag-dolled by forwards like Higdon and Kyle. f**k knows what the coaches and managers were telling him back then but he's certainly now more confident in his own ability and is much more able to cope with that side of the game.

3 minutes ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

Hanlon regularly used to get rag-dolled by forwards like Higdon and Kyle. f**k knows what the coaches and managers were telling him back then but he's certainly now more confident in his own ability and is much more able to cope with that side of the game.

That's exactly how I see him.

Even the first season in The Championship he was getting bullied by part-timers. He's come a long way in the last two seasons.

27 minutes ago, The_Tache said:

No way we'd have gone down. We collapsed when he got that injury.

32 minutes ago, Crawford Bridge said:

Was it not more to do with "the Butcher effect" of telling a mob of hopeless shanners that they're a mob of hopeless shanners?

No doubt partly but we lost 8 of our last 9 games and conceded some stupid goals. Can't believe we'd have still gone down if Hanlon had been fit.

2 hours ago, Crawford Bridge said:

That's exactly how I see him.

Even the first season in The Championship he was getting bullied by part-timers. He's come a long way in the last two seasons.

I reckon McGregor has had something to do with it. 

3 hours ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Hanlons injury played a big part along with Butcher imo.

Hanlons injury was "the reason" we went down.  f**k it though, wouldn't swap the last 4 seasons for anything.  Relegation for the Scottish cup? Scraping about 8th or 9th with shite managers instead of the Scottish cup? Winning the Scottish cup is all I've ever dreamed of seeing, going down was a fucking amazing sarafice.  Would I do it all again...,aye 

1 hour ago, Bambino7 said:

Hanlons injury was "the reason" we went down.  f**k it though, wouldn't swap the last 4 seasons for anything.  Relegation for the Scottish cup? Scraping about 8th or 9th with shite managers instead of the Scottish cup? Winning the Scottish cup is all I've ever dreamed of seeing, going down was a fucking amazing sarafice.  Would I do it all again...,aye 

It's not even a contest. Imagine how shite it'd be if we'd stayed up under Butcher.

I cant see us playing 3 at the back every game this season so it will be interesting to see who is dropped when we go to a back 4. All 3 centre halves have their own qualities and faults. McGregor is probably the best out and out defender we have, put his neck on the line and rarely makes errors. But he is honking with the ball at his feet. Efe is calm as f**k and when he's on form is a great defender as well as long mazy runs that King Dom would be proud of, but he can be far too relaxed and has mistakes in him. Hanlon was a wee weak gimp before the turn of 2015, he used to dive in all the time and make daft mistakes. He's cut that out now though and has stopped thinking he is Pirlo with the 50 yard raking hoofs out the park. 

First time in ages we have a dilemma in defence rather than upfront. Unless we sign a couple of decent forwards (which we will) and a couple of midfielders then it's going to be another season of shitfesting our way to low scoring draws.

The annual Hibs hype of signing ex-players, before signing some Clayton Donaldson type jobber, is the highlight of my Summer.

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The annual Hibs hype of signing ex-players, before signing some Clayton Donaldson type jobber, is the highlight of my Summer.

Donaldson is probably not the best example to use tbh. We got him on a free, sold him for around £100,000 a year later. He's went on to score goals in the Championship down south and won international caps with Jamaica.

The highlight of my summer is signing some Danny Swanson type jobber, who was one of our top six rival's better players.