This is a fascinating point in the Gordon-Era.

He's chucked out a fairly respectable manager and squad based mostly on fan pressure.

He's brought in a 'big name' in Maloney which crashed and burned inside 4 months.

He's then gone through a long process to find a manager who is experienced but has won very little and appears to be repeating here what he's done elsewhere, yet hasn't been punted, despite fan pressure.

He's turned the squad over in this time and now realised that running the club needs to be a bit more boring than this and is going after a DoF to sort it all out. 

All the while, he's improved the ground, the facilities and the income; or at least his commercial appointees have. 

This is a lot more interesting than it was under Petrie even though the team is still as sheidt as ever. 

4 hours ago, Tommy Tappin said:

This is a fascinating point in the Gordon-Era.

He's chucked out a fairly respectable manager and squad based mostly on fan pressure.

He's brought in a 'big name' in Maloney which crashed and burned inside 4 months.

He's then gone through a long process to find a manager who is experienced but has won very little and appears to be repeating here what he's done elsewhere, yet hasn't been punted, despite fan pressure.

He's turned the squad over in this time and now realised that running the club needs to be a bit more boring than this and is going after a DoF to sort it all out. 

All the while, he's improved the ground, the facilities and the income; or at least his commercial appointees have. 

This is a lot more interesting than it was under Petrie even though the team is still as sheidt as ever. 

Tommy, there is no doubt that Ron has turned the commercial side of HIbs up several notches. The stadium and corporate facilities are superb however he has shown scant interest in the footballing side and now has a reputation as one of those Chairmen who bullets mangers like a modern day Doug Ellis (showing my age there). The nepotism shown in putting his son in charge of recruitment has been disastrous. 

I was there that night at Livingston when a noisy section of the fans turned on Jack Ross. It was awful but Ron reacted to the galleries and for me that was a huge mistake on his part. The Maloney experiment was just that, and a young coach in over his head.  I'm not sure that LJ is the answer to anything and I don't think he'll survive a Cup defeat at the weekend.

Where Ron is now is with a squad, the bulk of which, that has got several mangers the bullet. The fact that two sacred cows from the 2016 Cup Final still play regularly is an embarrassment.  You cannot blame Porteous for wanting to move on despite the fact Hibs offered him a very lucrative contract. . Hibs pay very good money to their players and they can match Hearts and Aberdeen in the salary scales but a failing Transfer Policy of buying young inexperienced talent has been an absolute shambles and Ron is now finally.... finally... looking to appoint a Director of Football. It's a start I suppose but I'd like to see the club move on from the Ron Gordon stewardship and be sold to people who will invest in the playing side of the club and that will likely be with a new manager as well. 

48 minutes ago, AndyM said:

Tommy, there is no doubt that Ron has turned the commercial side of HIbs up several notches. The stadium and corporate facilities are superb however he has shown scant interest in the footballing side and now has a reputation as one of those Chairmen who bullets mangers like a modern day Doug Ellis (showing my age there). The nepotism shown in putting his son in charge of recruitment has been disastrous. 

I was there that night at Livingston when a noisy section of the fans turned on Jack Ross. It was awful but Ron reacted to the galleries and for me that was a huge mistake on his part. The Maloney experiment was just that, and a young coach in over his head.  I'm not sure that LJ is the answer to anything and I don't think he'll survive a Cup defeat at the weekend.

Where Ron is now is with a squad, the bulk of which, that has got several mangers the bullet. The fact that two sacred cows from the 2016 Cup Final still play regularly is an embarrassment.  You cannot blame Porteous for wanting to move on despite the fact Hibs offered him a very lucrative contract. . Hibs pay very good money to their players and they can match Hearts and Aberdeen in the salary scales but a failing Transfer Policy of buying young inexperienced talent has been an absolute shambles and Ron is now finally.... finally... looking to appoint a Director of Football. It's a start I suppose but I'd like to see the club move on from the Ron Gordon stewardship and be sold to people who will invest in the playing side of the club and that will likely be with a new manager as well. 

'Deadly' Doug Ellis indeed.

I'd agree with with pretty much all of that Andy with one caveat, which is around the sale of the club.

Farmer was listening to offers during the 90s. It took until 2019 for a someone who according to STF was 'the right person, with the right money, with the right plan' to come along. 

This suggests that there's not exactly a queue to buy Hibs. Not even our own fans wanted to buy Hibs when they had the chance.

Ron has bought Hibs to sell Hibs, he's admitted that. He's given himself a 10 year timeframe to do it in, which he's 3.5 years into already. He'll be nearly 80 by the time his ten years are up. 

How often have Hibs had a signing policy of 'proven quality'? I can only think of some of the Lexo years and some of the McLeish years. We went bust and nearly bust on those occasions with a trophy haul of 1 (Skol Cup 1991) to show for it.

Hibs signing kids and pensioners is not unique to the Ron era. We buy kids and pensioners because we can't afford proven quality. Hearts need charitable donations to buy theirs.  

To be fair Tommy, we never had the near death experience our city neighbours had which rallied the troops over Gorgie way so I understand the fans reticence to stump up extra cash as a fan base.

It was only his growing infirmity that convinced Sir Tom to sell Hibs. For years he wouldn't even listen to offers for Hibs and would routinely bat away interested parties, that goes all the way back to Brian Kennedy in 1998. 

Re the proven quality signings, you have Marshall and Boyle. So we have made them recently. Unfortunately that's augmented by a load of dross which we've pissed our budget away on. I don't think we would go too far wrong looking at the likes of Omeonga at Livi or James McArthur who will be leaving Crystal Palace rather than signing another 5 untried 18 and 19 year olds with about 10 first team appearances between them. These would be good signings but I fear the budget is blown unless Ron is willing to dip into his pockets.

The HSL failure is an interesting thing, I was one of those that contributed to it for years however I stopped my contribution after Leeann Dempster came out and said she was going to spend £100,000 on fancy CCTV cameras to arrest our own supporters as I felt bloody hell, if we can afford that then we obviously don’t need the money.

I wasn’t a huge fan of Dempster by the time she left, mainly due to the way she treated some people close to the club that I know, however in hindsight she treated people nowhere near as bad as the current regime (Colin & Kenny, Sue McLernon etc etc).

Obviously lockdown hit and that never happened but IIRC HSL owned about 18% of the club, it was getting there and they would have had a majority stake probably by the end of the decade.

I’m not totally convinced that’s the definitive answer either by the way because it’s all dependent on appointing the right people.

However what I’m sure isn’t the answer are Ben Kensell, Ian Gordon and Ron Gordon; the father, the son and the Holy Spirit.

A DoF is a step in the right direction, if it’s the right person, however I really don’t have faith in those three picking the right person.

Time shall tell.

In the meantime Hearts are 2/1 to beat Hibs on Sunday with Unibet, lump on.

14 hours ago, AndyM said:

To be fair Tommy, we never had the near death experience our city neighbours had which rallied the troops over Gorgie way so I understand the fans reticence to stump up extra cash as a fan base.

It was only his growing infirmity that convinced Sir Tom to sell Hibs. For years he wouldn't even listen to offers for Hibs and would routinely bat away interested parties, that goes all the way back to Brian Kennedy in 1998. 

Re the proven quality signings, you have Marshall and Boyle. So we have made them recently. Unfortunately that's augmented by a load of dross which we've pissed our budget away on. I don't think we would go too far wrong looking at the likes of Omeonga at Livi or James McArthur who will be leaving Crystal Palace rather than signing another 5 untried 18 and 19 year olds with about 10 first team appearances between them. These would be good signings but I fear the budget is blown unless Ron is willing to dip into his pockets.

The fans can't have it both ways though. They can't both turn down the chance to put the money in AND berate those who do. When the opportunity came, the fans didn't take it.

STF batted back Kennedy because it was Kennedy. STF nearly sold in the SKY TV boom years under McLeish. 

In terms of proven quality Marshall is a pensioner who wouldn't have come to Hibs at any other point in his career and Boyle is a return item who wasn't getting paid at his current club.

For me, Omeonga wasn't good enough when he was here and currently plays for a team a whopping 4 points ahead of a poor Hibs side with a -6 goal difference. McArthur is the walking wounded.  

Boyle bust the budget that's for sure. The questions is, if we hadn't has resigned Boyle, would we have spent the budget on anyone of any note or just more moneyball signings. 

On 17/01/2023 at 19:50, AndyM said:

To be fair, Omeonga isn't even really a starter for us. He's good but limited, not really starter quality for us. Out of contract in the summer to be fair so would be free to walk. I'd be thinking Hibs should be looking higher than him though

9 minutes ago, Lyle Lanley said:

Anyone else surprised we haven't' signed anyone? 

Not really to be honest.

We have way too many players on our books still and the people that would be in charge of said signings are all idiots, I would rather wait until we have a non-idiot in before we sign players, certainly for permanent signings anyway.

Having said that I’m not sure I trust our idiots to hire a non-idiot as idiots tend to be attracted to other idiots.

Meanwhile our best player appears to be Blackburn bound, Blackburn a club pushing for promotion to the top flight in England, being managed by a coach that wanted the Hibs job, however the idiots preferred Lee Johnson, somehow.

9 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Not really to be honest.

We have way too many players on our books still and the people that would be in charge of said signings are all idiots, I would rather wait until we have a non-idiot in before we sign players, certainly for permanent signings anyway.

Having said that I’m not sure I trust our idiots to hire a non-idiot as idiots tend to be attracted to other idiots.

Meanwhile our best player appears to be Blackburn bound, Blackburn a club pushing for promotion to the top flight in England, being managed by a coach that wanted the Hibs job, however the idiots preferred Lee Johnson, somehow.

If Porteous leaves before Sunday and we lose. I will consider joining any protest. Might also consider scrapping my away season ticket. 

Edited by Lyle Lanley

On 17/01/2023 at 18:20, Tommy Tappin said:

Ron has bought Hibs to sell Hibs, he's admitted that. He's given himself a 10 year timeframe to do it in, which he's 3.5 years into already. He'll be nearly 80 by the time his ten years are up. 

Not being funny like, but if we all get our shit together in the next 6.5 years and become millionaires, we could - as a P&B Hibernian Supporters Collective - purchase Hibs.

And then… well, then the world’s our oyster.

We all ok with @Hoose Rice as manager? 

Edited by The Other Foot

18 minutes ago, The Other Foot said:

Not being funny like, but if we all get our shit together in the next 6.5 years and become millionaires, we could - as a P&B Hibernian Supporters Collective - purchase Hibs.

And then… well, then the world’s our oyster.

We all ok with @Hoose Rice as manager? 

I’ll take over from what ever role Ian Gordon does. 

2022-23 SPFL Penalty Differential Table:

Rangers = +5
Hearts = +4

Livingstone = +2
Motherwell = +2
St Johnstone = +2
Dundee United = 0
Ross County = 0
Aberdeen = -1
Kilmarnock = -2
Celtic = -3
St Mirren = -4
Hibernian = -5

Are we shocked lads? Are we shocked? ohwell.png

1 minute ago, StellarHibee said:

Rangers = +5
Hearts = +4

Livingstone = +2
Motherwell = +2
St Johnstone = +2
Dundee United = 0
Ross County = 0
Aberdeen = -1
Kilmarnock = -2
Celtic = -3
St Mirren = -4
Hibernian = -5

Now do it for matches with red cards 

1 minute ago, StellarHibee said:

Rangers = +5
Hearts = +4

Livingstone = +2
Motherwell = +2
St Johnstone = +2
Dundee United = 0
Ross County = 0
Aberdeen = -1
Kilmarnock = -2
Celtic = -3
St Mirren = -4
Hibernian = -5

This conspiracy the SPFL have against us has gone too far. The sooner we leave this diddy league the better.