On 08/12/2023 at 20:10, Hoose Rice said:

Melks away official for over £1m. 

Norwegian media is saying it's a record fee for Stromsgodset, but are claiming that it's less than £1m (13 million Norwegian krone). IIRC there were similar "arguments" with Millwall in the summer about how much they paid for Nisbet. I guess that means there are add-ons (appearances, etc.) within the fee(s) Hibs are claiming. Whether that's fair or not depends on how realistic they are.

image.png.577d3c93fc81d428813197e467b6641e.png

Edited by JamesM82

Sad to see one of Scotland's biggest clubs reduced to this.

Fortunately, Edinburgh's football lovers can turn to the good guys, the UK's largest fan-owned club in our good fight against the charlatans who used to be Hibernian FC.

ETA: I'm not actually joking. I'd never be back if Hearts became a glorified feeder club.

Edited by VincentGuerin

3 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Fortunately, Edinburgh's football lovers can turn to the good guys, the UK's largest fan-owned club in our good fight against the charlatans who used to be Hibernian FC.

ETA: I'm not actually joking. I'd never be back if Hearts became a glorified feeder club.

You used to be told what Liths to sign/play.

You bought Russian hats. 

You called your master 'Mister' 

Give it a rest eh? 

4 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Agreed. Would not want to be a feeder club for even a big club, never mind Bournemouth.

Just now, Tommy Tappin said:

You used to be told what Liths to sign/play.

You bought Russian hats. 

You called your master 'Mister' 

Give it a rest eh? 

You've got no idea what I used to do.

And, yes, Hearts have been through a form of this. But, we were the main team in it and it was before the world really knew about this stuff.

I'm not kidding. I'd genuinely have no part in it. It's absolutely dreadful.

There'll be some Hibs fans who agree with me, but most will just justify it to themselves. That's what football fans do. Hearts fans would be the same.

1 minute ago, VincentGuerin said:

And, yes, Hearts have been through a form of this. But, we were the main team in it and it was before the world really knew about this stuff.

There'll be some Hibs fans who agree with me, but most will just justify it to themselves. That's what football fans do. Hearts fans would be the same.

If it doesn't happen, we can look forward to the perpetual mediocrity that makes up most of both our club's histories so far. We can go on saying 0-7 and 6-2 and 1-5 to each other. Oh, the bantz. 

If it happens, and it's a disaster, it was a break from the perpetual mediocrity, where we could dream for a while.

If it happens and it's successful, I'll remember to let a trophy catch my tears as I cry at the thought of us selling our souls to the Americans rather than continuing the perpetual mediocrity that we're most known for. 

11 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Friends Tv Lol GIF by Nick At Nite

11 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

My thoughts are - rather than assuming that this is "a form of what Hearts had" perhaps we might wish to wait and see what - if anything actually emerges.

Anything else is just jumping the gun, nothing to get excited about.

Spoiler

Show Me The Money GIF

Just now, Tommy Tappin said:

If it doesn't happen, we can look forward to the perpetual mediocrity that makes up most of both our club's histories so far. We can go on saying 0-7 and 6-2 and 1-5 to each other. Oh, the bantz. 

If it happens, and it's a disaster, it was a break from the perpetual mediocrity, where we could dream for a while.

If it happens and it's successful, I'll remember to let a trophy catch my tears as I cry at the thought of us selling our souls to the Americans rather than continuing the perpetual mediocrity that we're most known for. 

Is that it? That's depressing reading.

Here's my take on why it's bad.

1) Hibernian's identity: Up until now, for better or worse, Hibernian's priority has been Hibernian. You can be good, you can be mediocre, you can be shite, but it's all on your terms. This will fundamentally change this. Hibernian's priority from here on will be its role in The Group; ultimately, its role in making Bournemouth successful. That's a status not befitting of Hibs, to be honest.

Keep in mind Bournemouth's financial fair play obligations in the Premier League. Consider the case of Man City's banking of the transfer money for Aaron Mooy despite him never playing for them. You'd need to be exceptionally optimistic to not forsee such a future for Hibs. If not immediately, then down the line. You're not the main thing anymore, you exist to serve the big club.

Imagine Hibs having a player provided by the goup who has 20 goals in December and Bournemouth have an injury crisis up-front. Keep in mind that the Premier League recently voted against barring loans from connected clubs. There's your top scorer off on a long-term loan to Bournemouth with Hibs receiving the square root of f**k all to replace him. You get a gamble from further down the chain. Does this all sound good? That's the conclusion of this, however light-touch they have to pretend to be to convince you to let the wolf in the door.

Forget about the quality of player, think of the change in status. You're not even your own priority any more. Get that in the fucking bin.

2) Our league's status: Imagine a Hibs side up challenging at the top of the league having its best player taken off it for f**k all to serve the needs of fucking Bournemouth? Forget about the finances, think of the humiliation. Title race over, ambitions thwarted, firmly put in your fucking place. Nobody cares about our league. Nobody is making big money from a club in our league. You exist to serve. It's utterly humiliating, and, all joking aside, beneath Hibs. I'd feel the same about Hearts or Aberdeen getting involved.

3) The shape of the game ahead: This is part of the move towards competing Brands rather than football clubs. Each country will have its City Football Group franchise, and its PIF francshise, etc. It will concentrate the focus fully on the clubs at the top of these groups. Everything else is subservient. Our game officially second-class. Your club officially second-class. What if the Bournemouth owners (as some of these groups already do) decide that branding requires all the clubs wear red and black? Happened at Cardiff, and they went along with it. And their fans are much harder than yours.

I don't really care if people think this is a partisan issue. I don't see it that way. Hearts wouldn't be getting another penny of my money or another minute of my time if they got involved in one of these groups. Hopefully being fan-owned can keep us from this, but, long-term, who knows? It's not beyond the imagination we end up going the same way. If we do, I imagine many of our fans will lap it up. But I wouldn't. I'd chuck it, and I'd consider it very sad what has happened to the club.

All joking aside, Hibs should be better than this. It's a dreadful decline in status. You're Melbourne City.

Just now, VincentGuerin said:

Is that it? That's depressing reading.

Here's my take on why it's bad.

1) Hibernian's identity: Up until now, for better or worse, Hibernian's priority has been Hibernian. You can be good, you can be mediocre, you can be shite, but it's all on your terms. This will fundamentally change this. Hibernian's priority from here on will be its role in The Group; ultimately, its role in making Bournemouth successful. That's a status not befitting of Hibs, to be honest.

Keep in mind Bournemouth's financial fair play obligations in the Premier League. Consider the case of Man City's banking of the transfer money for Aaron Mooy despite him never playing for them. You'd need to be exceptionally optimistic to not forsee such a future for Hibs. If not immediately, then down the line. You're not the main thing anymore, you exist to serve the big club.

Imagine Hibs having a player provided by the goup who has 20 goals in December and Bournemouth have an injury crisis up-front. Keep in mind that the Premier League recently voted against barring loans from connected clubs. There's your top scorer off on a long-term loan to Bournemouth with Hibs receiving the square root of f**k all to replace him. You get a gamble from further down the chain. Does this all sound good? That's the conclusion of this, however light-touch they have to pretend to be to convince you to let the wolf in the door.

Forget about the quality of player, think of the change in status. You're not even your own priority any more. Get that in the fucking bin.

2) Our league's status: Imagine a Hibs side up challenging at the top of the league having its best player taken off it for f**k all to serve the needs of fucking Bournemouth? Forget about the finances, think of the humiliation. Title race over, ambitions thwarted, firmly put in your fucking place. Nobody cares about our league. Nobody is making big money from a club in our league. You exist to serve. It's utterly humiliating, and, all joking aside, beneath Hibs. I'd feel the same about Hearts or Aberdeen getting involved.

3) The shape of the game ahead: This is part of the move towards competing Brands rather than football clubs. Each country will have its City Football Group franchise, and its PIF francshise, etc. It will concentrate the focus fully on the clubs at the top of these groups. Everything else is subservient. Our game officially second-class. Your club officially second-class. What if the Bournemouth owners (as some of these groups already do) decide that branding requires all the clubs wear red and black? Happened at Cardiff, and they went along with it. And their fans are much harder than yours.

I don't really care if people think this is a partisan issue. I don't see it that way. Hearts wouldn't be getting another penny of my money or another minute of my time if they got involved in one of these groups. Hopefully being fan-owned can keep us from this, but, long-term, who knows? It's not beyond the imagination we end up going the same way. If we do, I imagine many of our fans will lap it up. But I wouldn't. I'd chuck it, and I'd consider it very sad what has happened to the club.

All joking aside, Hibs should be better than this. It's a dreadful decline in status. You're Melbourne City.

Decline in status from what exactly?