I've seen some folk saying they want us to hold out for 4 or 5 million for McGinn as we got 4.4 million for Scott Brown and that was in 2007. McGinn is a legend and helped us win the Scottish cup but Scott Brown was miles ahead of him as a player back then. It's not even close for me. 

Edited by Zing.

I've seen some folk saying they want us to hold out for 4 or 5 million for McGinn as we got 4.4 million for Scott Brown and that was in 2007. McGinn is a legend and helped us win the Scottish cup but Scott Brown was miles ahead of him as a player back then. It's not even close for me. 

Tin hat on in this thread but I think McGinn is a bit overrated.

Don't get me wrong good quality Scottish player with age on his side but I've never felt he was anything other than a good player in Scotland.

Like you say brown was clearly a level above hibs at the time. He looked a proper player. I'm actually disappointed he went down the route of a midfield enforcer as always felt he had the ability to play more of an attacking role at a young age.

quite like st.mirren. for 86, for beating hearts in the league cup final, then drawing with Falkirk to allow us to win the league. good guys IMO. In return we helped you stay up by beating Raith and giving you a point. Don't ruin it now x

Wow! East of Scotland spoon burners supporting West of Scotland spoon burners shocker!

4 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Bear in mind this was tweeted after Gilmour's tenure connected to the club had ended. If he'd been pulling wool over the eyes of disgruntled fans, there'd be no need to continue the charade given that he's no longer affiliated with St. Mirren, he could have easily said 'oh by the way it's only 20%, no 33%'

I have no idea what the deal was and like everyone else, would consider it a good deal at 33% anyway. This seems like a strange argument to make though.

A chairman addressing shareholders at an AGM v a guy with no legal responsibility for his comments on Twitter. An absolute mental guy as well, by the look of it. Gilmour may very well be telling the truth here but his non-affiliation surely gives his statements less credibility, not more.

44 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

Like you say brown was clearly a level above hibs at the time. He looked a proper player. I'm actually disappointed he went down the route of a midfield enforcer as always felt he had the ability to play more of an attacking role at a young age.

Completely agree, this goal he created for Sproule at Ibrox was him at his very best.

Just now, Alan Stubbs said:

I have no idea what the deal was and like everyone else, would consider it a good deal at 33% anyway. This seems like a strange argument to make though.

A chairman addressing shareholders at an AGM v a guy with no legal responsibility for his comments on Twitter. An absolute mental guy as well, by the look of it. Gilmour may very well be telling the truth here but his non-affiliation surely gives his statements less credibility, not more.

I think you misunderstand. Gilmour also conveyed this at an open Q&A or AGM when he was still chairman and further reiterated this following his leaving.

Just now, djchapsticks said:

I think you misunderstand. Gilmour also conveyed this at an open Q&A or AGM when he was still chairman and further reiterated this following his leaving.

He definitely mentioned it at the Q+A session just after Ian Murray (:() was appointed.

Completely agree, this goal he created for Sproule at Ibrox was him at his very best.

Good video and yeah that's the hibs Scott brown I remember.

On a tangent whatever happened to Ivan sproule? Seem to remember he went to Bristol? Then never heard of him again.

He did seem all pace and no real ability.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

I understand that. You mentioned his tweet being from after his tenure has ended though. I get the "why would he lie now" type argument but even a glance at his bio makes him seem like a bitter weirdo, I'd certainly take his comments there less seriously than Petrie's at an AGM.

Gilmour and Petrie's statements to their AGMs should be treated equally. I guess one of them is wrong but with zero knowledge of the deal, I wouldn't want to say who that is. Gilmour's twitter recollections can be safely discarded though.

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Tin hat on in this thread but I think McGinn is a bit overrated.

Don't get me wrong good quality Scottish player with age on his side but I've never felt he was anything other than a good player in Scotland.

He *is* a workhorse, but can be inconsistent. But basically this:

1 hour ago, King Dom's Moustache said:

If McGeouch wasn't made of glass he'd be the best player in our side by a mile.

Henderson as well. A shame he's stuck at Celtic, he was pretty good.

Edited by HaikuHibee

1 hour ago, Dons_1988 said:

Good video and yeah that's the hibs Scott brown I remember.

On a tangent whatever happened to Ivan sproule? Seem to remember he went to Bristol? Then never heard of him again.

He did seem all pace and no real ability.

We re signed Sproule a couple of years later and then he ended up at Ross County for a couple of seasons. Wasn't quite the same after he lost his pace.

Re Scott Brown I always wonder what level he would've ended up reaching if he went down south instead of to Celtic. Whilst he's undoubtedly had a great career and won everything in Scotland multiple times, I wonder if he could've reached even greater heights. Course he could've ended up fading into obscurity at Charlton, who knows. 

We re signed Sproule a couple of years later and then he ended up at Ross County for a couple of seasons. Wasn't quite the same after he lost his pace.
Re Scott Brown I always wonder what level he would've ended up reaching if he went down south instead of to Celtic. Whilst he's undoubtedly had a great career and won everything in Scotland multiple times, I wonder if he could've reached even greater heights. Course he could've ended up fading into obscurity at Charlton, who knows. 

I've often thought this myself but if Brown had continued playing the way he did at Hibs, he would've been finished 3/4 years ago due to the way he just charged about everywhere.

I didn't mention "sources" at all. :lol:

You only read it a few hours ago, what are you on?

Ok so you don't have a source. Obviously you personally know this deal is happening on Wednesday....or maybe you are just a little deluded.

I have heard some stuff they sell out Leith way can have that effect. [emoji6][emoji23][emoji6][emoji6][emoji6]