Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Just now, Burnie_man said:

Everyone appears to be losing their shit at BSC, yet I'd be more concerned that TJ and Co are going into a meeting with the SFA in 4 days time without having consulted member clubs (or even telling them).

That's the shambles in all of this, not a few clubs greeting at not getting an email.

I did mention it earlier, but two wrongs don't make a right. I'm a bit worried that a "solution" is about to be imposed to accommodate an as yet unknown agenda. That might be SPFL reserves or some other reason. I'm not convinced about the ability or the will of TJ to get the best outcome for clubs. I do expect that he will still be in a job at the end though.

2 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I did mention it earlier, but two wrongs don't make a right. I'm a bit worried that a "solution" is about to be imposed to accommodate an as yet unknown agenda. That might be SPFL reserves or some other reason. I'm not convinced about the ability or the will of TJ to get the best outcome for clubs. I do expect that he will still be in a job at the end though.

I suspect 2018 will bring about significant change, but it will involve Junior clubs having to jump ship rather than integrate with the Pyramid in an orderly manner.

The WoSFL is a solid idea and the SJFA should engage positively with it, but then again who knows, the SJFA doesn't consult its members. Clubs should be up in arms at this.

3 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

I suspect 2018 will bring about significant change, but it will involve Junior clubs having to jump ship rather than integrate with the Pyramid in an orderly manner.

The WoSFL is a solid idea and the SJFA should engage positively with it, but then again who knows, the SJFA doesn't consult its members. Clubs should be up in arms at this.

All the quotes about colts teams was about having things in place for the 2018/19 season. I imagine going in to this meeting it's the SPFL pitching their vision for that would be integrated in to the current pyramid. The SJFA's plan seems to have been ride out whatever change that brings and try to integrate their current structure at Tier 5/6 depending on what they could get away with. Then along comes BSC to throw a spanner in the works.

As far as i'm concerned this meeting will be governed by self-interest, rather than anyone looking at the whole.

SPFL - Colt teams

BSC - New League for their reserve side

TJ - Keep the SJFA intact and distinct from the SFA by running in parallel to the non-SPFL leagues, as high up the pyramid as possible.

31 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Everyone appears to be losing their shit at BSC, yet I'd be more concerned that TJ and Co are going into a meeting with the SFA in 4 days time without having consulted member clubs (or even telling them).

That's the shambles in all of this, not a few clubs greeting at not getting an email.

Do you know what the agenda is for this meeting? I`d hazard a guess that the answer is no. Any changes, significant or otherwise, will at some point be presented to all the member clubs for comment/discussion/approval or otherwise.  The clubs that are complaining about the shambles surrounding the it`s a secret/no it`s not email are no different from you complaining about the SJFA/SFA having a meeting that`s a secret/no it`s not.

6 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

All the quotes about colts teams was about having things in place for the 2018/19 season. I imagine going in to this meeting it's the SPFL pitching their vision for that would be integrated in to the current pyramid. The SJFA's plan seems to have been ride out whatever change that brings and try to integrate their current structure at Tier 5/6 depending on what they could get away with. Then along comes BSC to throw a spanner in the works.

As far as i'm concerned this meeting will be governed by self-interest, rather than anyone looking at the whole.

SPFL - Colt teams

BSC - New League for their reserve side

TJ - Keep the SJFA intact and distinct from the SFA by running in parallel to the non-SPFL leagues, as high up the pyramid as possible.

I think you might be right. I disagree with all of the motivations you suggest, particularly the BSC one, the others I can understand up to a point. Couldn't they just put a team in the top amateur division?

Do you know what the agenda is for this meeting? I`d hazard a guess that the answer is no. Any changes, significant or otherwise, will at some point be presented to all the member clubs for comment/discussion/approval or otherwise.  The clubs that are complaining about the shambles surrounding the it`s a secret/no it`s not email are no different from you complaining about the SJFA/SFA having a meeting that`s a secret/no it`s not.

The SJFA not consulting with it's member clubs prior to an important meeting is just a wee bit different from an email from a third party floating an idea don't you think?

What is the WoSFL idea though? The available information is lacking in content. I do agree though the SJFA should be consulting its members. There needs to be open and honest discussion between all interested parties. I honestly think a neutral party would be best to drive this forward but I don’t think any of the parties currently involved are neutral and there are plenty of agendas on show.

I hope for clubs sake that this is sorted to a satisfactory outcome for all.

There's one thing, this email has got people talking which is progress suppose. It's a bit bizarre that this meeting on Friday appears shrouded in secrecy, doesn't appear that Junior clubs even know much about it which is strange.

Is Glesgaboy this Tom Johnstone guy ????

12 minutes ago, Arthurlie1981 said:

What is the WoSFL idea though? The available information is lacking in content. I do agree though the SJFA should be consulting its members. There needs to be open and honest discussion between all interested parties. I honestly think a neutral party would be best to drive this forward but I don’t think any of the parties currently involved are neutral and there are plenty of agendas on show.

I hope for clubs sake that this is sorted to a satisfactory outcome for all.

Agreed - it would seem there would need to be some genuinely neutral arbiter that would be capable of making a decision that would be respected and adhered to- someone who doesn't actually have a horse in the race - to avoid the whole subject getting bogged down and self-interest ruling the day.

As things stand, TJ will undoubtedly argue for something as close to the status quo as he can get away with and the SFA will push their latest blind spot - the colt team agenda - to the ultimate detriment of everybody except the half dozen sides who want to enter colt teams.  Additionally, any new league proposed by any team will always labour under the same credibility problems that beset the LL initially when its formation was seen in some quarters as being excessively motivated by the interests of a very small coterie of sides.

Who could be genuinely neutral? Personally I'd invite someone up from the FA down south...they seem to have got their ducks in a row with respect to the pyramid.

The BSC email has opened up the debate about a West League but they should have really sent it out to all of the West Region junior sides. It says in today's Daily Record, I know:ph34r:, that they had sent it out to some junior and amateur sides. This from an outsider just seems like the same "mistake" which was made when the Lowland League was formed.

In reality the West Super League should really be the "West" league that's where the best non league sides in that side of the country are.

In an accidental way the juniors set up what a non league pyramid should be like with the East and West Super Leagues and the others feeding into them. The SOSL should be tagged onto them as a Dumfries and Galloway League like they have the Ayrshire District one currently.

I've tried to be as helpful as possible so far, so one last time I’ll try and clear things up.

We have floated this idea to some clubs to get a representative view, if that view was positive then we would push on with it on a wider scale, but only after the meeting on the 5th. 

TJ is completely against this idea, and claims to have his own plan, which up until now has been a mystery.

We would love this to come to fruition but realise the sceptics out there are waiting to shoot it down, that’s Scottish football for you.

Our proposal may never get off the drawing board, and TJ will be doing all he can to stop it, but if it acts as a catalyst for change then so be it.

As I said I’ve tried to be as helpful and honest as I can, but apologise if some of the answers aren’t agreeable to you.

Edited by Patches O'Houlihan

16 minutes ago, Patches O'Houlihan said:

I've tried to be as helpful as possible so far, so one last time I’ll try and clear things up.

We have floated this idea to some clubs to get a representative view, if that view was positive then we would push on with it on a wider scale, but only after the meeting on the 5th. 

TJ is completely against this idea, and claims to have his own plan, which up until now has been a mystery.

We would love this to come to fruition but realise the sceptics out there are waiting to shoot it down, that’s Scottish football for you.

Our proposal may never get off the drawing board, and TJ will be doing all he can to stop it, but if it acts as a catalyst for change then so be it.

As I said I’ve tried to be as helpful and honest as I can, but apologise if some of the answers aren’t agreeable to you.

How were the clubs identified?

4 hours ago, Jambo'ness said:

They have every right to be.  The way the whole thing has been conducted is shambolic.  From not contacting anyone to sending invitations to retired committee members.

Doesn't give you a lot of hope that any meaningful discussions will take place, or is that the underlying plan?

Patches giving this post a red dot suggests I was hitting closer to home than he liked.  

2 minutes ago, Patches O'Houlihan said:

Quite the opposite. Do you honestly think we would go out of our way to find email addresses of retired committee members?? 

I would not believe you were that stupid but your lack of preparation reflects on just how serious you were in the first place.

2 hours ago, Goalie Hamish said:

There's one thing, this email has got people talking which is progress suppose. It's a bit bizarre that this meeting on Friday appears shrouded in secrecy, doesn't appear that Junior clubs even know much about it which is strange.

Is Glesgaboy this Tom Johnstone guy 

The short answer is no which you`re free to believe or not. If the meeting was that secret then nobody would know about it would they? Is it possible that it`s the first of what would be a sequence of meetings that would be required to try and lay some groundwork for a solution that would work for the majority if not all of the clubs that something like this would ultimately affect? As I`ve said previously, the notion being floated by BSC is self serving and duplicitous in nature. If there really is to be some sort of change then it needs to be planned/considered and not scribbled on the back of a fag packet before being circulated 20 minutes before a decision is required

I’ll make this my final post on the subject.

We have put the idea out there, and will take the flak that comes with it from the more sceptical people. However, I can assure you that everything was done with the best intentions.

I genuinely hope there is change for the better, because Scottish football needs it in my own opinion. How that comes about is up to the guys in power, we can only ask them to look at ways of improving things.

Cheers, and happy New Year.

4 minutes ago, Patches O'Houlihan said:

I’ll make this my final post on the subject.

We have put the idea out there, and will take the flak that comes with it from the more sceptical people. However, I can assure you that everything was done with the best intentions.

I genuinely hope there is change for the better, because Scottish football needs it in my own opinion. How that comes about is up to the guys in power, we can only ask them to look at ways of improving things.

Cheers, and happy New Year.

You hope for change, yet you red dot 2 of my posts for being a little sceptical over your self-interest?