Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Can you explain what's "not ideal" about having a perfect side view of the pitch like at the Rock?  
Soul is absolutely the wrong word and that was exactly my point. Of course people will prefer different things about different grounds. As for the history/tradition stuff - birthday caird pish.

If I was from Dumbarton and got taken along to the stadium as it is now when I was a young lad there’s no way I’d have ended up supporting them.

Still love match days at Gayfield (and indeed alot of other grounds) even now but back when you were a kid it seemed amazing going along to the ground. I hate going to Dumbarton/EF/Airdrie and Clyde now, when I’m really interested in the football, couldn’t imagine how shite I would find it as a kid when the football didn’t really matter that much at all.

6 minutes ago, Bathgate_Exile said:

There's no denying what Talbot have achieved is outstanding and a benchmark most club's at our grade to aim for. 

The above sounds like you enjoy being a big fish in a small pond (nothing wrong with that, and is probably the same reason Linlithgow didn't apply), but the main fear is you won't win everything in sight year on year should you be swallowed up by the pyramid. I totally understand your fear as this would obviously have an affect on other areas, such as attendance which then has knock on effects such as less money coming through the gates etc. A possible slow spiral into mediocrity. I think this is what you mean by "losing there identity".

An identity based on little more than 'winning all the time in a closed shop setup' can't be part of 'Junior culture' or 'Junior identity' - by definition, the vast majority of Junior sides actually win f**k all on a regular basis. It's narrow self-interest, nothing more than that. 

32 minutes ago, Ross. said:

As much as the 3 quarters empty bit is a tad shite for a football ground, the actual location is tremendous. Even a small 3 or 4 step terrace along the other sides just to close it off a bit would improve things.

Having read a little about the rejection, was it not more the houses that were knocked back as opposed to the stadium? Just that the new stadium was entirely dependent on the new houses being built? Also seen the site at Bowling mentioned as a potential spot. f**k that, even if they ever get round to cleaning it up.

We'd all like that but the cost of putting that in probably isn't justifiable at the moment. I agree that the Sons of the Rock playing under the Rock is a fitting location for us to play (maybe having a castle in the car park will give us some of that much missed character that we're lacking)

17 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

Shafted by the owners?

Very possibly.

11 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

If I was from Dumbarton and got taken along to the stadium as it is now when I was a young lad there’s no way I’d have ended up supporting them.

Still love match days at Gayfield (and indeed alot of other grounds) even now but back when you were a kid it seemed amazing going along to the ground. I hate going to Dumbarton/EF/Airdrie and Clyde now, when I’m really interested in the football, couldn’t imagine how shite I would find it as a kid when the football didn’t really matter that much at all.

I'm not really going to argue against that because I loved running around Boghead as a kid and I love going to Gayfield and I understand your point.  I wouldn't say that makes our ground "not ideal" for the vast majority who go though (who are grown adults that should hopefully have stopped playing hide and seek at the football), nor does it have anything to do with "soul". I'm not sure spending cash (that we probably don't have) on putting some terracing down to let kids run about would be justifiable.

I'm not really going to argue against that because I loved running around Boghead as a kid and I love going to Gayfield and I understand your point.  I wouldn't say that makes our ground "not ideal" for the vast majority who go though (who are grown adults that should hopefully have stopped playing hide and seek at the football), nor does it have anything to do with "soul". I'm not sure spending cash (that we probably don't have) on putting some terracing down to let kids run about would be justifiable.

Aye I’m not trying to have a dig, and it’s maybe a bit to do with my working background, but I definitely think towns, places, buildings and even football stadiums can have character and soul (even though it sounds silly) about them that makes them more attractive to people. Maybe not the best two words and there’s no proper definition of it but I still think it’s a thing.

Maybe best to just agree to disagree on that one without derailing the thread any further. Can save this for the play off thread if you’re wanting. [emoji6]

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If you believe a football ground can have soul, can you tell me what Dumbarton need to add to their ground in order to make it full of soul? 

Play a lot of James Brown/Aretha Franklin/Isaac Hayes records

Our worst away attendances are when we have to travel to rob roy or shotts etc. This will only get worse if we have to travel to edinburgh or down by dumfries in the pyramid. I for one like the fact that at most we have just over an hour travelling to games due to work and my young family. As i said most people have a senior team not far from them if thats the route you like go watch them. Everyone is being bought by getting grants for this and that etc but the money will soon dry up if more and more teams are applying for it and to be fair if most have the same committees they have had in the juniors itll just be squandered on an ego trip and they will still be left with a shitehole of a ground

Our worst away attendances are when we have to travel to rob roy or shotts etc. This will only get worse if we have to travel to edinburgh or down by dumfries in the pyramid. I for one like the fact that at most we have just over an hour travelling to games due to work and my young family. As i said most people have a senior team not far from them if thats the route you like go watch them. Everyone is being bought by getting grants for this and that etc but the money will soon dry up if more and more teams are applying for it and to be fair if most have the same committees they have had in the juniors itll just be squandered on an ego trip and they will still be left with a shitehole of a ground

Alloa on Saturday, back in Dundee by 5.50, Albion the week before 6.15, Raith before that home by 5.40, appreciate you’d add on 20 minutes for getting back to Arbroath but the only 2 proper journeys are Stranraer and Ayr this season for us. Scotland is a small place.

1 minute ago, stevie2502 said:

Another example of "grade" syndrome.

If Cumnock dont want to move fine., they can remain Junior with the rest of those who want to as well. If the traveling is still too much then there will be an Amateur league to move to. It's cool.

However don't come out with utter pish like people are being "bought" and money squandered on "ego trips" playing at "shitehole grounds". It makes you look just a little bit silly and then some. Try and understand that other clubs want to better themselves and they see the Pyramid as the obvious way forward, for the umpteen reasons given on previous pages that you've ignored.

People having a Senior team is completely irrelevant to this.

If Cumnock dont want to move fine., they can remain Junior with the rest of those who want to as well. If the traveling is still too much then there will be an Amateur league to move to. It's cool.
However don't come out with utter pish like people are being "bought" and money squandered on "ego trips" playing at "shitehole grounds". It makes you look just a little bit silly and then some. Try and understand that other clubs want to better themselves and they see the Pyramid as the obvious way forward, for the umpteen reasons given on previous pages that you've ignored.
Clubs that havent bothered there arse to try and better themselves for years.....

Just now, stevie2502 said:
3 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Clubs that havent bothered there arse to try and better themselves for years.....

How do you come to that remarkable assumption?

17 minutes ago, stevie2502 said:

If there is a West of Scotland league formed at tier 6, how would this change which teams Cumnock play?

Just now, Marshmallo said:

If there is a West of Scotland league formed at tier 6, how would this change which teams Cumnock play?

They might have to drive an extra half hour to a couple of South of Scotland clubs if they join a full west league?

Isa we've all had great memories throughout the years for what ever junior team you support pending what age you are you may have more than others,whether it's been winning umpteen trophies or a giant killing result in the Scottish.The juniors as we know it has been in decline for the past 15-20 years now and all those memories are not going to be lost they will be there to tell the next generation of how good it was back then.Why has our grade slid to the worst in its history is quite a number of reasons there a too many to list our biggest gripe at kilwinning is the lack of a fixture meaning you can't plan your weekend ahead unless your retired if your working then the only games you can plan ahead are senior football.Back to Talbot about losing their identity it makes you sound like the people running the game stuck in a bubble in the past .Talbot should look forward to writing a new chapter in their history and guys like you can tell all the future generations how it was when junior football was alive and kicking.

12 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

Exactly, it wouldn't.

There is no reason why West Region clubs cannot get together now and set up this WoS league. 

Create a basic website and invite invitations to make a start next season with similar criteria and constitution as the EoS. 

10 clubs needed (no problem) and the winner gets in to the Scottish Cup for the following season and a crack at promotion to the LL, if licensed.

It's hard to see how the SJFA, which is fundamentally opposed to the pyramid system (and with that, club licensing), can properly represent the interests of all clubs going forward.

I see all the ambitious clubs are touting the BIG Scottish cup and the gazillions available from a favourable draw ..magic ...then tried to find the eosfl big cup clubs that have benefited ....HEE HAW.   Next season eosfl league two will be a junior league in all but name .AND THAT'S FORWARD THINKING PROGRESS .CATCH ON WILL YEEZ .JUST VOTE TJ OUT OFF HIS POST AND TAKE JUNIOR FOOTBALL INTO THE PYRAMID . 

47 minutes ago, stevie2502 said:
49 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Don't take it to heart Stevie

Anyone who doesn't agree with Boringboy's  views apparently talks "pish" but never mind, only another couple of months to go before he toddles over to the EOSL forum for good hopefully.

Just now, geo87 said:

Senior football? f**k you want to watch that for?

Im informing the guys on here , majority of whom it appears prefer senior fitba.....I dont mind watching the games at this level myself mind :thumsup2