The Celtic All Seasons thread

4 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

Is McGinn really a replacement for brown? I wouldn’t say so.

He's not near that level yet and might never be.

In terms of current performance levels he's also not likely worth anything over £4m.

However they would pay that for potential and the fact that McGinn would be the type of player to stay for a long time - essentially being the new Brown in terms of longevity.

It's a smart strategy to mix it up with the best young Scottish players as well as foreign quality like Ntcham as the foreigners are more likely to want to move to the EPL quicker imo.

Don’t worry once their derisory offer of £400k + add ons is received you can start dealing with clubs down south that are prepared to pay the going rate. 

Of course if McGinn was based in France and called Pierre McGinn the offer would be £3m+

Brexit voter found. A bit thick this analogy as if he had proved himself in a much better league he would be going for well above 3 million.

Anyway I could see him going for much the same amount of money as Brown which would be decent for Hibs given hes out of contract in a year I think.

Is McGinn really a replacement for brown? I wouldn’t say so.

Hes not a carbon copy but his tenacity is really what we are looking for. For me Brown was a totally different player at hibs but had to adjust his game as attacking wise he wasnt as good as Robson/Nakamura etc. Paul Hartley had to do the same. Brown took way longer than Hartley to adjust which is why I would rather have Mcginn in now to learn off Brown to make the transition easier.

Hes not a carbon copy but his tenacity is really what we are looking for. For me Brown was a totally different player at hibs but had to adjust his game as attacking wise he wasnt as good as Robson/Nakamura etc. Paul Hartley had to do the same. Brown took way longer than Hartley to adjust which is why I would rather have Mcginn in now to learn off Brown to make the transition easier.

That’s fair.

I don’t doubt McGinns ability which my original post may have suggested. I just don’t see him as like for like.

But you are correct, I remember Scott brown playing as almost a right winger for Scotland in his younger days.

FWIW as good as brown is I hope McGinn is in no rush to abandon his current style of football to become a brown type player.

6 hours ago, gannonball said:

Brexit voted found. A bit thick this analogy as if he had proved himself in a much better league he would be going for well above 3 million.

Anyway I could see him going for much the same amount of money as Brown which would be decent for Hibs given hes out of contract in a year I think.

At least in that scenario it would give us the opportunity to dig out the 'Pierre, there's only one Pierre' chant again.

Edited by TheCelt67

Even Keevin's is laughing at them...

@sihnjukushug

Bedtime for me, another day of SSB tomorrow afternoon. 

With the big question of the day being.......

Will Celtic fans phone up and actually talk about Celtic ?
Doubt it.

Edited by bennett
Autocorrect thingy.

It's official, Scott Bain will join permanently in the summer on a four year deal.  Seems to be a long contract for him, he's been good but not sure he deserves 4 years.  Could end up being one of these guys like Scott Allan we are stuck with.

On the plus side it helps make Neil McCann look even more foolish

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44076531

8 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

It's official, Scott Bain will join permanently in the summer on a four year deal.  Seems to be a long contract for him, he's been good but not sure he deserves 4 years.  Could end up being one of these guys like Scott Allan we are stuck with.

On the plus side it helps make Neil McCann look even more foolish

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44076531

Probably the most fortunate keeper to play in Scotland, bang average and a millionaire in the making 

6 hours ago, Besty said:

Probably the most fortunate keeper to play in Scotland, bang average and a millionaire in the making 

I think his luck is that  Dorus De Vries got injured before a game at Ibrox so Bain had to step in.  Without that he would have spent the six months on the bench but he got a chance to play and did well.  He's since done well in more recent games

On 11/05/2018 at 12:38, senorsoupe said:

I think his luck is that  Dorus De Vries got injured before a game at Ibrox so Bain had to step in.  Without that he would have spent the six months on the bench but he got a chance to play and did well.  He's since done well in more recent games

I think if his  save from from which Morelos hit the post had gone in it could have been a different story,hence the fortunate remark.

I also think most keepers in Scotland could have performed as well as him in the games since he's had very  little to do 

Good news about Ajer, our most reliable centre half and still only 19 or 20. He has a big future ahead of him

Even Keevin's is laughing at them...

@sihnjukushug
Bedtime for me, another day of SSB tomorrow afternoon. 
With the big question of the day being.......
Will Celtic fans phone up and actually talk about Celtic ?
Doubt it.

Not that I doubt your intelligence Bennett but you do realise that is a parody account?

9 minutes ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

Good news about Ajer, our most reliable centre half and still only 19 or 20. He has a big future ahead of him

Not that I doubt your intelligence Bennett but you do realise that is a parody account?

Not sure he thought hearts stopped hibs getting 2nd yesterday.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

New contract Klaxon!!

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/44110323

Kristoffer Ajer has signed a new 4 year deal.  I think this is excellent news, he's been one of the pleasant surprises of the season and is one of the best young defenders playing in Scotland today.

That is excellent news, I doubt he will see out the 4 years but we could possibly end up getting even more for him than Van Dijk if he keeps progressing.

4 hours ago, WeeMentalDavie said:

Aye tho not at the time, I'd forgotten about that post or I'd have came back and edited it. Though it is pretty close to Shoes real account in my defence.