The Albion Rovers Thread

The Pastmaster

No apology - you talk a lot of sense. No one (unless an outright gift or loan - and a loan has always got to be paid back at some stage) will put any money in and not be allowed to acquire shares - and by that I mean more than a handful. The majority share holder - Anton Fagan - he of SPFL -  and son of late Chairman Tom Fagan stated at the club`s 2016 AGM that he would use his votes (and he controls a number of proxies as well) to veto any possible changes to the share structure that would potentially bring in much needed capital

What's in it for Fagan? The ground (the only asset i can see) if it were to be sold looks like one of those schemes were you sell up and end up being left with £50 after you've paid all the debt off.

Unless part of his SFA job is dependant on him being connected to a member club.

1 hour ago, Tutankhamen said:

What's in it for Fagan? The ground (the only asset i can see) if it were to be sold looks like one of those schemes were you sell up and end up being left with £50 after you've paid all the debt off.

Unless part of his SFA job is dependant on him being connected to a member club.

Apart from being a shareholder of ARFC, AF has no connection to the club and his SPFL job (Operations Manager iirc) is not at all dependent up any connection with the club.  And yes, the ground is the only asset but the overdraft and that loan will be secured against that. No doubt he will want to waltz in and take over as chairman when he`s done with SPFL, possibly looking to get elected to some SFA position and join that gravy train. Any new share issue would significantly dilute his holdings.

Of all the folks i knew from Coatbridge (i except it wasn't that many) i've never know anybody to mention Albion Rovers. Thinking back over the years all but one were supporters of the Glasgow 2, the other was an Airdrie fan!!! An old aunt used to say the man next door to her in Garrowhill owned Albion Rovers. Wonder if that was Tom Fagan? 

1 hour ago, Tutankhamen said:

No disrespect to Albion Rovers but it's hardly a Kelly/White at Parkhead scenario.

Probably correct but the structure of the shareholding is scarily similar to East Stirling and Alan Mackin and we all know what has happened there.

4 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Of all the folks i knew from Coatbridge (i except it wasn't that many) i've never know anybody to mention Albion Rovers. Thinking back over the years all but one were supporters of the Glasgow 2, the other was an Airdrie fan!!! An old aunt used to say the man next door to her in Garrowhill owned Albion Rovers. Wonder if that was Tom Fagan? 

It was !  He stayed in a bungalow on a corner just down the road from Garrowhill station iirc - it wasn`t his house tho` - belonged to his partner Ann - mother of his son Anton. TF had three sons  from a previous marriage

23 hours ago, The Pastmaster said:

It was !  He stayed in a bungalow on a corner just down the road from Garrowhill station iirc - it wasn`t his house tho` - belonged to his partner Ann - mother of his son Anton. TF had three sons  from a previous marriage

Think the old auntie thought he was something of a character to put it mildly.

A bit of a `charmer` I`d say. But ARFC was HIS club and everything had to be done his way.  John Lees (he of macaroon bar fame) wanted to put in a bit of his not inconsiderable fortune in to the club - his price - to be chairman !  TF wouldn`t have it and Lees walked away although he remained a supporter - at a distance. This was late 60s / early 70s. Despite any opinion you held regarding the way he ran ARFC, I couldn`t dislike the man personally.

New Kit... Albion Rovers are delighted to announce a new partnership with Spanish kit manufacturer Joma for the forthcoming 2018/19 season. Joma will become the club’s exclusive technical sportswear supplier for the next two seasons in conjunction with our long-term kit partners Football Nation Teamwear
The Spanish company will provide us with a new home and away kit, training and leisurewear for the forthcoming season in SPFL League 2.
Currently under the domestic Joma umbre...lla are the likes of Swansea, Toulouse, Villareal, Sampdoria, Getafe and Atalanta, while Fiorentina, Valencia, Seville and Deportivo de la Coruna have also enjoyed a successful partnership with the company in the past Of course in Scotland, Joma is worn by Dunfermline, Partick Thistle, East Fife, Dumbarton, Edinburgh City, Stranraer and St. Mirren.
New kits and an extensive range of supporters’ leisure wear will be available both online and in the club shop over the coming weeks.

arfc.jpg

arfc1.jpg

What was it about Tom Fagan that got him the public image? He wasn't a Steedman or a Stepek. He didn't do a Clydebank/ES trick or own a TV rental company. Why did the football world put Rovers and Fagan together? I remember his name getting mentioned in the press but i'm not exactly sure what for.

He got involved with the Rovers in the 1950s having made a bit of money on used (dodgy ?)car sales and like many clubs they were struggling post war.  In the old two division Scottish League it used to be said that he didnt want promotion as the club could not afford it (probably right ?). He served on the Scottish League Management Committee and was the driver behind the election of Ferranti Thistly / Meadowbank Thistle to the league. Later on served on the SFA. Got a name for finding talent and selling on (cheap?) - Tony Green, Johnny Flannagan, Phil McGovern, Tommy Dunne, Jim Brown, Sam Ferris, Tony Coyle, John Brogan, Jeff king etc. He certainly had the ear of the Scottish dailies - Record and Express. It was HIS club, even big names like Frank Beattie, Ralphy Brand who came in as managers didn`t last as Fagan had reputation for interfering in team selections. Wee Ralph told me that he had to submit his team to TF for approval before telling the players or putting the team lines to the ref.

6 hours ago, The Pastmaster said:

A bit of a `charmer` I`d say. But ARFC was HIS club and everything had to be done his way.  John Lees (he of macaroon bar fame) wanted to put in a bit of his not inconsiderable fortune in to the club - his price - to be chairman !  TF wouldn`t have it and Lees walked away although he remained a supporter - at a distance. This was late 60s / early 70s. Despite any opinion you held regarding the way he ran ARFC, I couldn`t dislike the man personally.

I remember someone telling me years ago about the guy Lees wanting to get involved in Rovers. Could have been a whole new direction for them back then if he had been able to take over as chairman.

4 hours ago, The Pastmaster said:

He got involved with the Rovers in the 1950s having made a bit of money on used (dodgy ?)car sales and like many clubs they were struggling post war.  In the old two division Scottish League it used to be said that he didnt want promotion as the club could not afford it (probably right ?). He served on the Scottish League Management Committee and was the driver behind the election of Ferranti Thistly / Meadowbank Thistle to the league. Later on served on the SFA. Got a name for finding talent and selling on (cheap?) - Tony Green, Johnny Flannagan, Phil McGovern, Tommy Dunne, Jim Brown, Sam Ferris, Tony Coyle, John Brogan, Jeff king etc. He certainly had the ear of the Scottish dailies - Record and Express. It was HIS club, even big names like Frank Beattie, Ralphy Brand who came in as managers didn`t last as Fagan had reputation for interfering in team selections. Wee Ralph told me that he had to submit his team to TF for approval before telling the players or putting the team lines to the ref.

Everything you say is familiar. My mate got a trial and maintained Fagan came in the dressing room  at half time, gave him a fiver and told him not to come back.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

29 minutes ago, steviethebankie said:

I hear we are signing Sean Higgins played with use last season is he any good?

Decent track record as a full-time pro, but hasn't really transferred that to the part-time world. Big part of the community side at Rovers though, and a thoroughly nice guy. 

I take it there's a coaching part to his role with Clydebank? I'm not convinced I'd see him continuing as a player only, especially at a lower level.

35 minutes ago, Aloysius Snuffleupagus said:

Decent track record as a full-time pro, but hasn't really transferred that to the part-time world. Big part of the community side at Rovers though, and a thoroughly nice guy. 

I take it there's a coaching part to his role with Clydebank? I'm not convinced I'd see him continuing as a player only, especially at a lower level.

Yes maybe we are not bad off for strikers this year you could be right there about a coaching role I only heard this morning nothing confirmed cheers

If the Bryan Wharton of his first season at QP has signed for Rovers, you’ve won a watch. If the Bryan Wharton beyond that point has signed for you, you have not won a watch. He has a tendency to absolutely cruise it and then throw in a horror show that causes a goal.

An honest player, who’ll give you a shift. Major issue with concentration. He could either be your POTY or cost you a damaging number of points. I wish him well, aside from the four games against QP.