Cotter shettleston

Js1982

15 minutes ago, hardest ned in glasgow said:

they say they're amateur, but they're not. They have all sorts of kickbacks

aye no doubt, but the guys arguement was amateur players aren't good enough for that level and I disagree, the best players in amateur football could get into super first teams easily imo

• Replies 349
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, Cs1989 said:

aye no doubt, but the guys arguement was amateur players aren't good enough for that level and I disagree, the best players in amateur football could get into super first teams easily imo

I would go further and say that you could get a team from amateur now that would challenge for the Super Premier title. Gone are the days of life changing money, so many are wanting to play with their mates, the quality in the amateurs is frightening.

I would go further and say that you could get a team from amateur now that would challenge for the Super Premier title. Gone are the days of life changing money, so many are wanting to play with their mates, the quality in the amateurs is frightening.

What a lot of rubbish sorry!
Top amateur teams are full of guys who were decent juniors players and that's it.They lack certain key components hence why they play amateur! No way in the world would they even avoid bottom three never mind challenge for the title .
I've know loads of good amateur guys and none of them would even say this.

2 hours ago, Nugent4nil said:

Amateur cup final last season had 4 ex Ladeside players. Chrissy Craig , Chris Malone , Ryan Ward and Darren Miller. Malone won Ardagh start of last season and Miller was with Queens Park and Clyde.

6 hours ago, junior man32 said:

It suits kelly for the fitba club tae finish up ..so he can get the ground sold to developers allegedly emoji6.png

Catch 22 i suppose.

No Shug No Shettleston 

There doesn't seem to have been anybody else there in a long time committee wise. I've seen Shettleston away from home and there doesn't seem to be any support outside of the team's relatives. How many posts did you see on here giving Shettleston a mention, very very few and far between. I'd fear for the team if Shug retires.

8 hours ago, Nugent4nil said:

A lot of players at the very top of the amateur game could easily hack it at the top level of the Juniors but choose to stay there for their own reasons, be it work, family, the chance to be playing with their mates, or let's be honest...money.

It's no secret many teams at the top end of the amateurs are about as  "amateur" as Monaco are "French"...

32 minutes ago, R docherty said:

My understanding is Keith and James were there to help move the club in the right direction/move forward. They got a great group of amateur/junior players who were all willing to play for nothing. So shettleston wouldve been on the up not a  club that has  by the look of it nothing to offer young ambitious players/managers.All was going well apart from people's ego. That is fact. Guys have been left with no club 2/3 weeks before the season starts. As for kick backs at broomhouse if only that were true, the boys Keith and Russell paid for things/training out of their own pockets and a little sponsorship along the way. Most of the players who were at broomhouse would be an asset to any junior team, anyone who has watched them would know this.

Do you think the players will hang about at Shettleston after recent events?

In my experience some of the guys weve brought in from amateur sides , including amatuer internationals couldn't hack it at junior level ,not all mind .
I went down an watched Harestanes v Girvan in the scottish cup a few seasons back at our park , and harestanes put up a decent show before eventualy going down 3-0 , there wasn't one player from harestanes that i would have had in my team ,it's a step up in my opinion .
But who's to say it wouldnt have worked at Shettleston with the broomhouse guys mixed with seasoned junior players ? We'l never know now
Wonder what will happen if all players want to leave so close to start of season
Total rebuild again , good luck with that one !

The truth is, the gap between top amateur and junior is decreasing. Plenty of good amatuer sides have good records in friendlies against junior teams, also sure Amateur Select Teams have beaten plenty of junior teams in recent years as well. Junior fans will say ''ah but it's only a friendly'' etc but then convince themselves they are as good as if not better than senior teams they have maybe beaten or given a game in friendlies n stuff. When Irvine Meadow had plenty of money and were doing well a few seasons ago I spoke to a committee member who thought they could compete in the SPL First Division! :D

There are literally tons of amateurs who are good enough to play Super League Junior Football. The biggest issue with stepping up is fitness and commitment levels, if the player has that they could step up no problem.

Colville Park would give most junior teams a game without any issues.

In my experience some of the guys weve brought in from amateur sides , including amatuer internationals couldn't hack it at junior level ,not all mind .
I went down an watched Harestanes v Girvan in the scottish cup a few seasons back at our park , and harestanes put up a decent show before eventualy going down 3-0 , there wasn't one player from harestanes that i would have had in my team ,it's a step up in my opinion .
But who's to say it wouldnt have worked at Shettleston with the broomhouse guys mixed with seasoned junior players ? We'l never know now
Wonder what will happen if all players want to leave so close to start of season
Total rebuild again , good luck with that one !

That's because that harestanes team had 5 best players missing that most of them did decent a junior but not top level players.

Cotter has went from probably the most loyal manager in junior fitba to being one of the shortest tenures in our game .

Don't know the ins and outs but I would back cotters word and integrity over pretty much anyone and I'm sure the vast majority of people both on here and in junior football will be the same .

Think he means 5 players that helped win the scottish the previous season with harestanes to get them that tie in the scottish had left to play junior football and never played in that tie

So why didn't he say that

5 hours ago, rednblack said:

That's because that harestanes team had 5 best players missing that most of them did decent a junior but not top level players.

Football is full of people who had "trials" at pro youth , Celtic , Rangers ,Junior etC

The game is full of arses who exaggerate their "achievements". 

90% of players are at their level, whatever that may be. 

I await a barrage of whataboutary

Archived