Teachers of P&B

5 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Just been forwarded Larry flannigan's email he sent today. Pretty firm 

Share it with your friend.

The especially relevant part reads: "If as a result of schools being closed, you have inescapable childcare duties, you should indicate to the school that you are unable to attend for that reason but that you are happy to work remotely". 

It should be clear cut that she can stay at home.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Share it with your friend.

The especially relevant part reads: "If as a result of schools being closed, you have inescapable childcare duties, you should indicate to the school that you are unable to attend for that reason but that you are happy to work remotely". 

It should be clear cut that she can stay at home.

Yeah it was her that sent it to me. Thing is she wants to do her bit, but she also has other responsibilities. It's not an easy time for a lot of people. Difficult choices have to be made

I'm on immunotherapy atm and my wife works in the labs at a local hospital doing the blood tests. She also wants to go to work, but we've got 2 kids and it varies day to day whether I'm super dad or can't get off the couch. 

28 minutes ago, madwullie said:

Yeah it was her that sent it to me. Thing is she wants to do her bit, but she also has other responsibilities. It's not an easy time for a lot of people. Difficult choices have to be made

I'm on immunotherapy atm and my wife works in the labs at a local hospital doing the blood tests. She also wants to go to work, but we've got 2 kids and it varies day to day whether I'm super dad or can't get off the couch. 

It is really difficult. 

Most do want to play a part, but people also need to prioritise where family is concerned, which isn't necessarily straightforward.

We were all told yesterday to stay at home today and continue with development work/setting work up online. Also got a message from Falkirk council asking us to detail our availability this week but haven't been told what we're doing tomorrow.

I've had 7 kids submit work that I set today which is more than I was expecting.

1 hour ago, Rizzo said:

We were all told yesterday to stay at home today and continue with development work/setting work up online. Also got a message from Falkirk council asking us to detail our availability this week but haven't been told what we're doing tomorrow.

I've had 7 kids submit work that I set today which is more than I was expecting.

My kids teachers all had stuff on seasaw or teams by 9am. My wee one (p3) was asking her teacher what she should do next on seasaw despite me suggesting! I messaged her teacher and she was cool about it. My kids school has been great.

Didnt force the issue and all three worked way through stuff during the day. 
took them out for a socially distanced walk in quiet area. 

My school was expecting 9 today and is now shut, with the kids being redirected to a local primary. We're all rota'd for a half day each. Think I'll be in next week.

Another school in our authority (only slightly bigger) was expecting 290 kids in and only 5 showed. Dunno where they plucked that figure from tbh.

The uncertainty over the coursework has been a pain as we had a lot scheduled to come in today and had to scramble to contact them at home over the weekend to tell them not to.

37 minutes ago, paul-r-cfc said:

SQA confirming that Higher and Advanced Higher coursework will not be marked. I'll have a lot of gutted kids who spent a shit load of time on something that's worth nothing now.

One of my colleagues is in school today and is checking to see if the National 5 coursework has been uplifted as we're not convinced it was. Bit annoying as I made my predictions based partly on what I thought their coursework was like.

Should have gone last Tuesday I think!

I spent some time going over old Higher spreadsheets yesterday and comparing prelim grades and final estimates to final results. Turns out I have been pretty spot on over the years so am confident to go "as is" this time around.
N5 number crunching is my main task today...

One of my colleagues is in school today and is checking to see if the National 5 coursework has been uplifted as we're not convinced it was. Bit annoying as I made my predictions based partly on what I thought their coursework was like.

SQA confirming that Higher and Advanced Higher coursework will not be marked. I'll have a lot of gutted kids who spent a shit load of time on something that's worth nothing now.
Remember that any assignment stuff can now be part of your estimates, so it's not wasted efforts.

Predictions based on that work will be perfectly valid.

15 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Should have gone last Tuesday I think!

I spent some time going over old Higher spreadsheets yesterday and comparing prelim grades and final estimates to final results. Turns out I have been pretty spot on over the years so am confident to go "as is" this time around.
N5 number crunching is my main task today...

I'm sure ours was meant to have been picked up on Wednesday last week. Apparently they have indeed been picked up. 

Our prelim results are always crap but our final results tend to be quite good with kids who were scraping Cs in prelims getting an A or B overall and kids sitting with 30-40% in prelims getting a C or B in the end. I've got my predictions to revise today before they get submitted.

37 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Remember that any assignment stuff can now be part of your estimates, so it's not wasted efforts.

Predictions based on that work will be perfectly valid.

This.

It's not a waste, although it's obviously a bit unsatisfactory.  

In a way though, it makes such work more meaningful, rather than less, in that it will loom larger in estimates for courses that now lack an exam.  

There is a big incentive for kids to ensure the work is as strong as possible now, because teachers will want as much material of a high standard as they can get.

We had N5 stuff collected last Wednesday.  I'm starting SQA marking as usual next week.

Also got a skills for work N5 class which is purely coursework based so I'm trying to cobble together enough to get all the regular attenders the award.  Can't imagine verification for that will be high on the SQA's agenda this year mind!

Also got a skills for work N5 class which is purely coursework based so I'm trying to cobble together enough to get all the regular attenders the award.  Can't imagine verification for that will be high on the SQA's agenda this year mind!
Our advice is to make a decision based on if you think the pupil would have achieved it under normal circumstances.

So even if they've not made much (or any of its a late switch to n4) progress, we could still estimate a pass if we'd have expected them to get it done normally.