Mercury Prize 2017

BallochSonsFan

The list of albums up for this year's Mercury has been released:

I can honestly say that I've only heard 1 of the albums.

The Mercury has been poorly regarded for as long as it's been around. Theres an undeniable feeling that the more obscure or niche albums are only there as a worthy box ticking exercise and that the winner is rarely the best British album of the year. You look at winners like M People in 1994 and Talvin Singh in 99 where they clearly got it wrong or winners like Speech Debelle, Benjamin Clementine and Skepta where they've gone deliberately obscure and wonder how the Mercury has survived so long? There were years where they got it right - Primal Scream, Suede, Portishead, PJ Harvey and Elbow were all deserved winners. Is it possible for there to be a single best UK album of the year that cuts across genre differences? I'm clearly never going to be a fan of grime, rap or jazz albums as those styles of music do nothing for me and that probably shades my option on previous winners. That said, is that really a list of the best 12 albums released by UK artists in the past year?

Happy to see The Big Moon's album on the list. It isnt groundbreaking. It isnt cutting edge. It's just a collection of really great indie pop songs from a group of women who seem like they're having a great time being in a band. 

Is it finally time to kill off the Mercury award?

Archived