Squad for Lithuania and Malta

Gordopolis

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does GD matter if we finished level on points with Slovakia/Slovenia? My recollection is it doesn't, but it would when it comes to competing with teams from other groups.

Could be wrong though.

Does GD matter if we finished level on points with Slovakia/Slovenia? My recollection is it doesn't, but it would when it comes to competing with teams from other groups.

Could be wrong though.

Yes GD counts against those two to decide our place in this group. If that's what you mean.

If we finish 2nd our GD against Malta won't be included in the 2nd place table to decide the playoff places.

1 minute ago, Paco said:

Could be wrong though.

Yep. It goes with head to head records first in the group. So getting pumped 3-0 by Slovakia wasn't great.

GD is the first tie breaker in the 2nd place groups with goals against the bottom team not counting so running up the score against Malta doesn't matter.

4 minutes ago, Paco said:

Could be wrong though.

http://resources.fifa.com/mm/document/tournament/competition/02/84/35/19/regulationsfwc2018en_neutral.pdf

In the league format, the ranking in each group is determined as follows:

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;

b) goal difference in all group matches;

c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.

If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings shall be determined as follows:

d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;

e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;

f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;

g) the goals scored away from home count double between the teams concerned (if the tie is only between two teams).

h) fair play points system in which the number of yellow and red cards in all group matches is considered according to the following deductions:

– first yellow card: minus 1 point

– second yellow card/indirect red card: minus 3 points

– direct red card: minus 4 points

– yellow card and direct red card: minus 5 points;

i) drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.

Archived