Building a gaming 'rig'

young_bairn

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.

Tips would be set your budget as high as reasonably possible.

Don't lowball your RAM I'd be going for minimum 16GB these days. 

Buy an SSD for OS and games and a large HDD for storage. 

Buy a BIG fucking case. Cable management is a pain otherwise.

I tend to go in big to futureproof as much as possible. 

The rest is up to your budget. 

41 minutes ago, young_bairn said:

Hi GiGi you seem to know your stuff. Mind if I pm you what iv picked out?

Sure. I'm by no means an expert but I'm happy to let you know what I think. 

Gigi nailed the 2 most important points. Big case to prevent future problems and a solid state drive for Windows (or your preferred operating system) so you can go from zero to desktop in 15-20 seconds.

Also dont buy a water cooler [emoji12]

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700X 3.4GHz 8-Core Processor  ($337.89 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H5 Universal 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler  ($46.89 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($154.99 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($152.88 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($177.94 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Gaming OC 11G  Video Card  ($724.98 @ Newegg) 
Case: Corsair - 760T White V2 ATX Full Tower Case  ($174.17 @ NCIX US) 
Power Supply: Super Flower - Leadex Gold 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Monitor: Acer - Predator XB271HUA 27.0" 2560x1440 165Hz Monitor 
Total: $1769.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-07 21:48 EDT-0400

My current set up (based on amazon prices cause im lazy, so some prices will be cheaper or more expensive than what i actually paid, admittedly more doing this for my own curiosity/time killing) and i did get the Graphics card given to me, so i didn't spent anywhere close to this. But it was interesting to see what it would have cost if i bought it all now. 

This is a pretty solid mid range build that will be able to play anything well. 

CPU:  AMD FX 8350 Black Edition "Vishera" CPU (8 Core, AM3+, Clock 4.0 GHz, Turbo 4.2 GHz, 8 MB L3 Cache, 125 W) - £107.97
CPU Cooler:  Cooler Master Hyper TX3 Evo - £21.45
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming AMD AM3 - £76.21
Memory: Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 Vengeance 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3 1600 MHz x2 - £128.28
Storage: WD 1TB Desktop SATA Hard Drive x2 - £93.80
Video Card: XFX PCI Express R9 290X 4GB Graphics Card (Core DDR5, 2xDVI, HDMI, DP, 2S) - £299.99 (Mines is actually the Gigabite model of this card but it was double the price ATM)
Case: CiT Vanquish Gaming - £37.23
Power Supply: Corsair CX750 750w ATX - £73.97
Monitor: BenQ GL2250HM LED TN Panel 21.5 inch - £89.99
Total: £929.63

On 14/08/2017 at 14:04, Shaggy Jenkins said:

How is that performing for you? I've got a friend who's looking into building a gaming PC on a pretty limited budget. He's not looking for anything spectacular at all, just something that allows him to play most modern games at about 60fps in 1080p.

6 hours ago, Scott-Replay said:

How is that performing for you? I've got a friend who's looking into building a gaming PC on a pretty limited budget. He's not looking for anything spectacular at all, just something that allows him to play most modern games at about 60fps in 1080p.

Its working pretty well, will play most things on high or ultra at around 60fps at 1080

Processor is solid, GPU is decent (if he can afford the extra £50 go up one) probably could do with more RAM but 8 is enough and you can add an extra 4-8 as and when.

all and all it fits my needs.

On 14/08/2017 at 14:04, Shaggy Jenkins said:

2 hours ago, Tri-TON said:

I'm looking to get a computer for my games development course. I want to be spending roughly £700.

Bit of a rookie at this stuff so any pointers would help!

You wont go far wrong with what Shaggy has put together. If you've got a bit of extra cash, upgrade the GFX card to a good 1060 or higher if you can afford it (a low end 1060 wont be much, if any, better than the 1050Ti)

Some more memory and a SATA drive for the OS would be worth it if you have the budget.

You wont go far wrong with what Shaggy has put together. If you've got a bit of extra cash, upgrade the GFX card to a good 1060 or higher if you can afford it (a low end 1060 wont be much, if any, better than the 1050Ti)
Some more memory and a SATA drive for the OS would be worth it if you have the budget.

Thanks very much. Anything I should avoid when picking these components up?

Also, in regards to build, how easy would it be to put together?

10 minutes ago, Tri-TON said:

Thanks very much. Anything I should avoid when picking these components up?

Also, in regards to build, how easy would it be to put together?

As Shaggy has done the work for you in terms of compatibility theres nothing really you need to worry about. If you're going to go for more memory just go for the same kind but 16GB instead of 8GB.

Its easy if you know what youre doing! There are plenty of videos around on building PCs. Nothing will come with any instructions but its just a question of plugging things into the right place. If you've never done it before, watching some videos first and familiarising yourself with what goes where might be a good idea, particularly for the CPU and heatsink

Archived