F1 2017

Jamaldo

So slightly irritated.. Managed to get my Sauber to finish 15th (gearbox troubles for the whole race which was frustrating) in Russia last night - objective was 16th or above and ahead of my team-mate - Ericsson was 16th and Alonso 17th, however, when we got to the Classification screen I was somehow shown in 17th with Ericsson 13th and Alonso 14th?!

I could understand me maybe ending up behind them both if there were penalties etc (which there weren't) but the cars that were in 15th and 16th were at least 10-15 seconds up the road from us 

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bought this tonight as it’s only £24.99 on the PlayStation store. Just started my new career with Sauber and I have to say, the “development tree” is confusing as hell. I’m sure I will get used to it the more I progress :lol: 

Bought this tonight as it’s only £24.99 on the PlayStation store. Just started my new career with Sauber and I have to say, the “development tree” is confusing as hell. I’m sure I will get used to it the more I progress [emoji38] 

It isn't really, but then again I have no real system in play when it comes to choosing an upgrade. I've done two seasons and apart from durability I've hardly put anything on.

7 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

It isn't really, but then again I have no real system in play when it comes to choosing an upgrade. I've done two seasons and apart from durability I've hardly put anything on.

I had 3,000 development points which I think carried over from F1 2016 (decent of them...) and decided to use them to upgrade parts of the chassis as that was the weakest part of the car.

Finished my first race in Melbourne in 15th. Doesn’t seem that bad but four cars in front retired and I overtook Ericsson on the penultimate lap after pitting for the ultra soft tyres with five laps to go. Was up to 9th at one point but only due to people in front pitting earlier than me.

Second race in China was much better.

Qualified 9th and was running on a two stop strategy (everyone else on one stop), was in 12th late on when the SC came out. I was on new soft tyres and all other cars on older medium tyres. SC went in with five laps to go, I went on an overtaking spree and went from 12th to 6th.

Looking forward to Bahrain as this is one of my favourite tracks to drive. Not due to the track itself, but for the strange fact that the AI seem oddly slow on it and it's easy to get a decent result!

I had 3,000 development points which I think carried over from F1 2016 (decent of them...) and decided to use them to upgrade parts of the chassis as that was the weakest part of the car.
Finished my first race in Melbourne in 15th. Doesn’t seem that bad but four cars in front retired and I overtook Ericsson on the penultimate lap after pitting for the ultra soft tyres with five laps to go. Was up to 9th at one point but only due to people in front pitting earlier than me.

The development points don't carry over. They just give you a load of them at the start to help you.

Got this for the PC for Christmas. Have spent much of my time playing the classic cars mode so far. The mid 2000s Renault is horrendous.

How different is career mode to last year's?

Had my best/craziest race so far in Spain. Started in 20th after changing my gearbox between practice sessions. Was running in 17th when it started raining, everyone pits for inters. I start making my way through the field and was up to 13th when it starts raining heavier. Everyone pits for wets and the order staying the same. 10 laps from the end and all other cars start pitting for inters again but the rain hasn't eased up. So myself and the two Force India's are the only cars running on wets - Perez 1st, Ocon 2nd and myself in a Sauber 3rd. A couple of laps from the end we pit for inters and I come out still in 3rd but with Bottas and Kimi right behind me. Thankfully I manage to hold them off and keep my podium position. Pretty mental cos at the end of the race some of the AI cars had pitted 7/8 times for some strange reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with the above comment about reliability being poor.  Just finished my 9th race and already on the 3rd gearbox and also the 3rd upgrade on 75% of the engine components too, and that's using all my R&D points to try and make it better!

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/01/2018 at 20:38, Gianfranco said:

I picked this up a couple of weeks ago. I like it but I can’t be bothered with 3 practice sessions and I can’t for the life of me pass the tyre wear one. Fail it every time.

It’s quite easy once you get the hang of it. Just need to lift before the corner, slightly touch the brakes and coast round the corner. It can be difficult on some circuits but if there are long sweeping corners that are usually taken flat out, lift off the throttle half way through and drive round the rest of it.

Now on to my second season and now with Red Bull. Finished second in Melbourne and won in Shanghai - first career win.

On 06/01/2018 at 23:11, IainMorton said:

Agree with the above comment about reliability being poor.  Just finished my 9th race and already on the 3rd gearbox and also the 3rd upgrade on 75% of the engine components too, and that's using all my R&D points to try and make it better!

Aye, it gets a bit repetitive after a while. Would be good if there was an option to get rid of the R&D stuff or assign it to a test driver, the way you can get your assistant manager to take on the stuff you can't be arsed with in Football Manager. I can't recall ever noticing a difference as a result of some R&D work.

Was furious the other night. On a drying track in China I'd just about clung on to seventh only for the game to crash as I came out of the hairpin on the final corner. The flip side was when I went back to do it again I knew exactly when was the right time to switch to slicks and ended up third after flying past folk on the last few laps.

58 minutes ago, Stu said:

Aye, it gets a bit repetitive after a while. Would be good if there was an option to get rid of the R&D stuff or assign it to a test driver, the way you can get your assistant manager to take on the stuff you can't be arsed with in Football Manager. I can't recall ever noticing a difference as a result of some R&D work.

Changing gearbox and engine components didn’t bother me when I started with Sauber as I was trailing around at the back anyway so grid penalties didn’t have much of an effect. But now I’m with Red Bull and qualifying in the top 5 and have finished 1st twice and 2nd twice in my first four races, grid penalties will be more painful. My gearbox is now at 77% wear and will face a grid penalty if I change it in the next two races but it won’t last anyway. Don’t fancy starting near the back in Monaco!!!

17 hours ago, Gianfranco said:

There’s a hairpin at Monaco that I hit the wall at in every lap except one. I decided to retire from that race.

Monaco does seem to be far easier to play with a wheel.

On 01/02/2018 at 17:20, Jamaldo said:

Monaco in F1 Championship edition was absolutely fine to drive. f**k knows why it's so hard in Codemasters games (the last two anyway).

For me it doesn’t matter how you set the car up, it always seems too fast for the corners and you can’t slow it down in time meaning multiple trips into the barrier and the inevitable flashback!! Either that you tip toe your way round and end up five seconds off the pace.

Archived