Scottish Pride

Cerberus

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's also not glory hunting if you recognise the flaws (connections with slave trade, servile attitude towards britishness, colonial misdemeanors etc.)

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

3 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Yeah but arseholes are going to be arseholes no matter what. It's like saying you don't want to be associated with a football team just because they had some hooligan trouble (like the genuine Chelsea or millwall (or dare I say it airdrie) fans).

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

It's also not glory hunting if you recognise the flaws (connections with slave trade, servile attitude towards britishness, colonial misdemeanors etc.)

Just as much as I'm not responsible for the slave trade or absolute belters who follow Dundee I'm not responsible for inventing telly or inventing penicillin. I'm very much intellectualising this, I'm prone to the pride/shame stuff myself but I'm aware of it and try not to get too carried away, I'm no Buddhist monk but for me, when you have that 'eureka' moment about nationality (in this instance but any grouping is the same) its cringey when people get strongly emotive about stuff that they have basically chosen to define themselves as. I still lose my shit when Dundee score and I did genuinely get a bit light headed at the last derby 8) but I don't buy into the 'they' are all wanks and 'we' are all good guys stuff. I accept that I'm probably in a minority but I'm happy enough in my hippy 'love in' world where we're all a melting pool of beautiful people*.

* Not really, people are mostly cuunts.:(

Fife might have some of the grimmest places you'll ever see but it also has some of the nicest places you could wish to visit...
pittenweem-fife-coastal-path.jpg
1413818114626_Image_galleryImage_ST_ANDREWS_SCOTLAND_OCTOB.JPG
Photo-No.2-Burntisland-beach-in__-Fife-the-mineral-sand-gives-it-a-very-different-colour_.jpg
6154_EastEndPark_2.jpg

Agree much of fife is an absolute hovel but on a nice summers day there aren't many better views than from the Anstruther road looking down over St Andrews and out to Tentsmuir forest.

8 hours ago, Finch road said:

What is this?

The pic is just to represent St Andrews. That's a foam party at the end of Raisin weekend. 3rd or 4th years take a fresher under their wings (your academic child) for the weekend, culminating in marching them through town in a humiliating costume before having a foam fight. 

47 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

The pic is just to represent St Andrews. That's a foam party at the end of Raisin weekend. 3rd or 4th years take a fresher under their wings (your academic child) for the weekend, culminating in marching them through town in a humiliating costume before having a foam fight. 

Thank you 

Archived