Scottish Pride

Cerberus

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know this is a pretty massive generalisation - but I think there's an aspect of scottishness that knows you have to look after folk but at the same time knows when folk are getting too big and are starting to act like c***s.

A kind of groundedness that's quite good at sorting out the good guys from the wanks.

It's hard to put my finger on it - but I like the outlook of Scottish people (again I'm generalising, but what's the point of p&b if you can't start pointless arguments and be shot down for doing so).

As others have said this website is a pretty good barometer of our nation. Plenty of c***s but they generally get put in their place. A solid political outlook, an outstanding sense of humour, and a strong connection to really shite football.

Just now, pandarilla said:

I know this is a pretty massive generalisation - but I think there's an aspect of scottishness that knows you have to look after folk but at the same time knows when folk are getting too big and are starting to act like c***s.

A kind of groundedness that's quite good at sorting out the good guys from the wanks.

It's hard to put my finger on it - but I like the outlook of Scottish people (again I'm generalising, but what's the point of p&b if you can't start pointless arguments and be shot down for doing so).

As others have said this website is a pretty good barometer of our nation. Plenty of c***s but they generally get put in their place. A solid political outlook, an outstanding sense of humour, and a strong connection to really shite football.

Do you think this is different to anywhere else in the world?

On 8/21/2017 at 19:32, ICTJohnboy said:

Great Scots....

Alexander Graham Bell, John Logie Baird, James Watt, Alexander Fleming, Dunlop, McIntosh, Telford, McAdam,

RL Stevenson, Walter Scott, Burns, McDiarmid, Rankin, Welsh, Alistair McLean,

Gerry Rafferty, Jack Bruce, Stuart Adamson, Alex Harvey, Dougie McLean, Archie Fisher, Frankie Miller, Billy Connolly,

Jock Stein, Matt Busby, Bill Shankly, Alex Ferguson, Jim Baxter, Kenny Dalgish, Joe Jordan, Willie Miller,

I could go on and on....Apologies for all those I've left out.

On 8/21/2017 at 19:37, Melanius Mullarkey said:

White ones only, eh?

Exactly.

2 hours ago, Barry Ferguson's Hat said:

The patter is pretty good. I've spent most of the last four years living abroad, but on the two occasions I've returned to visit I've found myself chuckling away at other people's conversations within seconds of setting foot on Scottish soil.

I suppose you have to go away and come back to really appreciate it.

Quite agree with this, been living down South for a good few years now and really miss 'home'.

Being away from the place makes you realise how beautiful it is, and how on the whole, everybody is polite and kind. 

My Mrs who had never ventured North of the border before meeting me was always skeptical about places such as Glasgow, but after visiting it she loved it and the people. She found the dialect fascinating. 

We have traveled through most of the Highlands and I think if we were to ever move, that is where we would settle. 

Scotland is bloody brilliant, and I must admit that I find myself more passionate about the place since leaving it oddly enough. 

Do you think this is different to anywhere else in the world?

Yeah I think I do. But I'm well aware I could be havering.

American identity is nothing like Scottish identity. Other countries will be similar to ours no doubt. But I do think it's a thing.

One of the things I appreciate about Scotland is the ability to get away,

From Aberdeen city centre you can walk to a beach in 15minutes,

or within 45 minutes be out in the country nearly at the Cairngorms and skiing country, or on the north-east coast

Inverness - within 45 minutes the Black Isle or Moray coast dolphin watching

Glasgow - within 45 minutes Loch Lomond

Edinburgh - within 45 minutes heading into the borders or Falkirk Wheel or beach at Portobello

Ayrshire jump on a ferry to Cumbrae or Arran and get away

Fife - in 45 minutes you can not be in Fife.

There is nowhere in urban Scotland you cannot completely change your surrounding in under an hour,

In London or Manchester or Brimingham in 45 minutes you can still be in London or Manchester or Birmingham.

Meadowx1 you could easily still be stuck in Glasgow or Edinburgh for that amount of time in traffic as well. I agree with what you're saying being a good thing but it doesn't apply only to Scottish cities really.

1 hour ago, throbber said:

Meadowx1 you could easily still be stuck in Glasgow or Edinburgh for that amount of time in traffic as well. I agree with what you're saying being a good thing but it doesn't apply only to Scottish cities really.

I find the bits you find around Scottish cities incredibly good in comparison to areas round other cities,

Loch Lomond, Argyll, Ayshire & Arran, Cairngorms, Ochils, City beachs in Edinburgh & Aberdeen etc.

2 hours ago, LondonHMFC said:

Quite agree with this, been living down South for a good few years now and really miss 'home'.

Being away from the place makes you realise how beautiful it is, and how on the whole, everybody is polite and kind. 

My Mrs who had never ventured North of the border before meeting me was always skeptical about places such as Glasgow, but after visiting it she loved it and the people. She found the dialect fascinating. 

We have traveled through most of the Highlands and I think if we were to ever move, that is where we would settle. 

Scotland is bloody brilliant, and I must admit that I find myself more passionate about the place since leaving it oddly enough. 

Not brilliant enough to live here though?

It's a bit embarassing if anything. A country who sing songs about being brave and defeating england in a battle hundreds of years ago with faces painted blue and white, voting for another country to make our decisions for us.

If my kids ever excel in something enough to represent their country, I'll probably advise them to choose the country of their mothers side.

Much better to represent a small, ambitious and independent country than whatever the hell this shambles of a situation is.

18 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Fife might have some of the grimmest places you'll ever see but it also has some of the nicest places you could wish to visit...

pittenweem-fife-coastal-path.jpg

1413818114626_Image_galleryImage_ST_ANDR

Photo-No.2-Burntisland-beach-in__-Fife-t

6154_EastEndPark_2.jpg

2nd picture makes me wonder if Throbber visited St Andrews that day and got a bit excited..

Archived