Unanimity to allow cyclist to kill.

PB 4.2

KIM'S LAW  

79 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 13:40, PB 4.2 said:

Nothing racist about painting a picture of the type of child that could be killed by a dangerous cyclist

Trying too hard.  

The law is changing ICTChris so either improve your cycling or face the rath of the law. 

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Rath

23 hours ago, The Master said:

He doesn't, actually. 

His specific means of doing so was wrong, but there's absolutely nothing illegal about a cyclist dismounting and walking their bike on the pavement and over a pedestrian crossing.

I do it frequently at the Nethergate/Marketgait junction in Dundee if I just miss the green light, otherwise I'm sat there for ages.

Lol. If I saw a bicyclist actually get off and push his bike on a sidewalk I'd have zero problem with that. I have never seen that once. 

And my point was that if I missed the light because I'm stuck behind someone going half the speed limit who is hogging the whole lane, I don't want to seem him skipping the light. As you said, you sometimes have to sit there forever.

23 hours ago, Jambomo said:

Cyclists aren't guests on the road. The road belongs as much to cyclists as it does to cars, motorbikes, even horses.

Sure they are. What I'm driving on was designed for cars. Hence it's size, the traffic laws, and it's speed limits. I'm fine with bikes, but just remember that the road wasn't designed with you in mind.  Keep to the side of the lane and use less traveled roads when possible. Obey the same traffic signals as the cars so I don't almost run you over when you show up out of nowhere.

Sure they are. What I'm driving on was designed for cars. Hence it's size, the traffic laws, and it's speed limits. I'm fine with bikes, but just remember that the road wasn't designed with you in mind.  Keep to the side of the lane and use less traveled roads when possible. Obey the same traffic signals as the cars so I don't almost run you over when you show up out of nowhere.

Originally many roads were designed for horses and carriages, not motor vehicles. It's why we have so many smaller roads here in Scotland. In fact cyclists were on the roads before cars were.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2011/aug/15/cyclists-paved-way-for-roads

51 minutes ago, TheProgressiveLiberal said:

Lol. If I saw a bicyclist actually get off and push his bike on a sidewalk I'd have zero problem with that. I have never seen that once. 

And my point was that if I missed the light because I'm stuck behind someone going half the speed limit who is hogging the whole lane, I don't want to seem him skipping the light. As you said, you sometimes have to sit there forever.

Speed limits in many built-up areas are now 20mph. Bike speed. Traffic lights have designated stop boxes for bikes. Roads have sections sliced off solely for bike use. Seems to me urban roads are very much designed with bikes in mind and becoming more so as time goes on.

After a bit of reading into this the English "Causing Death by dangerous driving" offense comes in four degrees of severity

The penalties for the most severe are roughly equivalent to Manslaughter. The least severe has been upgraded to two years who is the same penalty as Wanton and Furious Driving

The Charlie Allison case saw the cyclist initially charged with Manslaughter but eventually convicted for W&FD

The sensible argument for legal reform in England here is that at the moment cyclists can't be charged with an equivalent of the 2nd or 3rd level of severity.

Whether this is actually worth devoting parliamentary time to, given how rare this kind of thing is, is more debatable

On 21/09/2017 at 10:16, PB 4.2 said:

It's the cycling action and survey team, Cardinal.    

And yes we are absolutely delighted at the government's decision to review the current legislation.   I can also reveal we've held  positive talks with  Humza Yousaf  - and while we'll strongly condone his entry into this years 'Pedal For Scotland' event - he's been supportive of our proposals.  

So this is absolutely a champagne day for the campaign.   Cyclists might not like it but if it saves the life of a single Caucasian girl with bunches in her hair then it's worth it.   We've of course got hard evidence from our surveys that stronger penalties would change the way people cycle.    I recall one of our earliest surveys which asked about skipping red lights and over 95% of respondents who admitted jumping red lights said they'd consider their actions if it carried a fixed penalty of 25 years in jail.    That's my point Cardinal.  

Oh dear 

True undertones of racism being exposed here

As if it wasn't bad enough admitting to  owning a Kia Ceed 

Archived