Star Trek Discovery

welshbairn

On 17/06/2021 at 17:32, King Kebab said:

I must admit I gave up early Season 3 but sometimes tempted to go back. Then I see a trailer like this where "we face this together", "more than ourselves" and the whole shit about the crew being family force-fed at every single point. Jesus. ST TOS, TNG, DS9, Christ even Voyager could imply the close bond that had developed between the crew without banging on about them being more like family every episode. It's a ship FFS. It's where you work.....

16 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Only just seeing this thread. No clue what Pluto TV is or if I can get it or I can catch up with it but the general concensus is that it's not great? Might wait for Strange New Worlds if/when that becomes available.

It's free online and on the firestick. It's alright. A streaming service with its own "channels" you browse through with a few catch up opens. It has a Mythbusters channel, for instance, which is just old episodes of Mythbusters streaming back to back with adverts. Most the channels are like that for specific programmes on genres. 

2 hours ago, Salvo Montalbano said:

Only just seeing this thread. No clue what Pluto TV is or if I can get it or I can catch up with it but the general concensus is that it's not great? Might wait for Strange New Worlds if/when that becomes available.

It’s essentially live TV 

it doesn’t have on demand, you can only watch it live and it has adverts.

Disco is shown Friday, Sat & Sun at 9pm

The quality of the stream is pretty good to be fair, and it’s free 

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

It's free online and on the firestick. It's alright. A streaming service with its own "channels" you browse through with a few catch up opens. It has a Mythbusters channel, for instance, which is just old episodes of Mythbusters streaming back to back with adverts. Most the channels are like that for specific programmes on genres. 

29 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

It’s essentially live TV 

it doesn’t have on demand, you can only watch it live and it has adverts.

Disco is shown Friday, Sat & Sun at 9pm

The quality of the stream is pretty good to be fair, and it’s free 

Ta. So I basically have to wait for it to cycle back to episode 1 again? Like the old days I guess. Although I  tend to watch most of my TV these days early in the morning  before il ragazzo Montalbano wakes up rather than in the evenings which is why I tend to sky + stuff or watch Netflix etc

A season finale of two halves. First half good, second half the crew standing talking to the big boss from Doom 2.

In the last episode they couldn't understand each other. Now, in the apparent space of a few hours they can dish out long speeches about love. 

• 4 months later...
5 hours ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Since Sky have very kindly given me Paramount+ now, I decided to see if S4 was any improvement on S3.

2 episodes in and they've managed to make everyone even more unbearable.  Just awful.

Honestly it’s a pretty poor season overall 

6 hours ago, KnightswoodVanBear said:

Since Sky have very kindly given me Paramount+ now, I decided to see if S4 was any improvement on S3.

2 episodes in and they've managed to make everyone even more unbearable.  Just awful.

I would give up and just head straight to Strange New Worlds. 

• 8 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I hate this show. It saddens me that they have taken a huge budget and spunked it all on special effects instead of, say, hiring writers who can write. This new season is like one of those terrible new Star Wars shows where everything is dystopian.

There is nothing original here. Everything has been a botched rehash of something from an old show - Harry Mudd, Section 31 (a clandestine outfit that now has a fleet of ships), mirror universe...and now they have taken a really shit episode of The Next Generation and based season 5 on it. 

I am so glad this is finishing.

47 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

I hate this show. It saddens me that they have taken a huge budget and spunked it all on special effects instead of, say, hiring writers who can write. This new season is like one of those terrible new Star Wars shows where everything is dystopian.

There is nothing original here. Everything has been a botched rehash of something from an old show - Harry Mudd, Section 31 (a clandestine outfit that now has a fleet of ships), mirror universe...and now they have taken a really shit episode of The Next Generation and based season 5 on it. 

I am so glad this is finishing.

The only good thing to come from Discovery is that it reignited Star Trek as a TV show as Picard and Lower Decks have had decent moments and Strange New Worlds has been almost exclusively very good. I hate how Burnham is the best of the best at everything. Even in a new century, she's the best. Even dealing with species she's never met. She's the best pilot, best tactician, best fighter, best politician, best engineer, best problem solver. The rest of the crew I quite like - Stammets, Culber, Detmer, and especially Tilly and Saru - but we hardly see them because Burham had to do everything. Even though she caused the Klingon war in the first place.