The Weezer Conundrum

Savage Henry

How can a band which produces Blue, Pinkerton, even Make Believe and EWBAITE produce such absolute shite such as Hurley and Pacific Daydream?  

I get that bands want to change their sound, and I have no problem with Rivers Cuomo wanting to produce a J-Pop album, but whenever he tries something different, he completely ignores the lyrical half of his music.   And one of the best things about Rivers is that he really does try to relate with his fans (especially if you are a slightly mad Japanese girl).

Blue and Pinkerton are two of my all time favourite albums, and Weezer are just great live, but come on, some of that crap is unbecoming.  Rivers is a smart guy.  Green and Red and White have their moments too.  How is it possible for a band to be so wildly inconsistent?  Drugs?  Alcohol?  Money issues?

1 hour ago, Randy Giles said:

Also gotta chuckle at the sheer surprise at a band starting well and getting inconsistent. Because that NEVER happens.

Yep.

Pretty much every band/artist disappears up their own arse and becomes a parody of themselves after 10-15 years.

Blue, Pink, White and EWBAITE are all amazing. The rest are pretty good, yeah even Hurley has it’s good points in my opinion.

Pacific Daydream though... Wow. Apart from Weekend Woman (and only then cos it’s based on the old Green album out tale Burning Sun) has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. The first time in 22 years of listening to them that I’ve though an album of theirs was shite and it’ll not be listened to again...

Archived