Sunday Fitba - Kilmarnock v Aberdeen

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Complete no show from us in the first half. Played a bit in the second half and showed we could compete, but it was too little, too late. Clarke should tear them a new one for not turning up until an hour into the match. Thought Findlay struggled at left back, as I did against Dundee too. I know he's been going for defensive solidity and continuity from Paul McDonald's team that won at Thistle, but it might be time to put Greg Taylor back to left back, Findlay back to his natural centre back in Broadfoot's place and Dicker or Mulumbu into the midfield in Taylor's place. Glad Dicker's fit again, we've missed him. Horrendous home record continues. Thankfully our away form is decent and we've a run of away games coming. Onwards and upwards.

We have some record at Killie so it was pleasing to get the win but we are still nowhere near last season performances even with the start we had yesterday. I suppose it was always going to be difficult to replace the likes of McGinn and Hayes.

I thought Kenny McLean has been poor this season but he had a fine game yesterday. 

It all comes crashing back to reality for us. Yes, I still believe that we have one of the best managers in the league - but our squad is absolute dugmeat and we're very much limited by that. Add our horrendous home form into the equation and you've got a real shanner of a situation. I don't blame any Killie fans for being upbeat or even confident about going into this one but I don't expect we'll be able to do all that much about the home form until the window opens in January. Our fixtures at RP until that point are Partick Thistle (winnable), Motherwell (difficult) and Rangers (hopefully winnable if they're still a complete omnishambles which I absolutely hope they are from a selfish point of view) so hopefully at least one of these is a win. 

I missed the majority of the first half but on seeing the highlights it really is like we regressed completely into being a McCulloch team. If you're conceding to a good team like Aberdeen after 54 seconds then there's barely any point in turning up. Lovely skill from McLean, but it's still poor from us. The second is again poor from us to defend despite May's class showing, and the goal that was chopped off was never offside at all - Aberdeen should have been home and dry by that point (if they weren't already by the 12th minute). Our goal came at a good time and highlighted just what Jones can do to punish teams no matter how good they are. I only wish that Boyd hadn't shot straight at Joe Lewis when he fumbled the ball at 2-1 as you've got a completely different game on your hand at that point. It was absolutely over at 3-1 and Aberdeen deserve credit for their goals.

As for us next week, going into a crucial meh derby? Without Jones I can see us lacking a lot of creativity and Clarke will need to perform a minor miracle in order to get a performance out of one of the available players to have any real chance of taking anything away from McDiarmid. Were I a betting man I'd be putting money on the Saintees to win - but I take some solace from the fact that I've been wrong before.

Bit late but happy with the win and the general performance. McLean and Shinnie got it right up the poor man's Chris Sutton.

Still got concerns about GMS and Tansey against better opposition. Worries about Joe Lewis too, few clangers in the last two months.

Bit late but happy with the win and the general performance. McLean and Shinnie got it right up the poor man's Chris Sutton.

Still got concerns about GMS and Tansey against better opposition. Worries about Joe Lewis too, few clangers in the last two months.

Lewis seems to have stuttered since the praise he got at murrayfield. Don’t know if there’s a reason for it or we’ve just been spoilt by his form last season.

Minor cause for concern though, still think we’ve got a fantastic keeper on our hands and he’ll come back to form.

Archived