Elgin City v Stirling Albion

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Can we start the conspiracy about us freezing our pitch to get games called off again please. One of my favourites.

No one is saying conspiracy. Acting like a tit yet again. Your official twitter, as mentioned around 3 times before, said the game was on. Your club caused the chaos and you lot can deal with it.

Let him without sin cast the first stone. If I recall correctly, SAFC announced the appointment of James Fowler as manger, oops.  I have a soft spot for Elgin, through  family.  Community minded club looking for volunteers to put on covers, fantastic.  Half the the pitch covered??

Mickey Mouse club tweeting by Donald. Donald Trump that is.

No one is saying conspiracy. Acting like a tit yet again. Your official twitter, as mentioned around 3 times before, said the game was on. Your club caused the chaos and you lot can deal with it.

It was a joke.

There was once a serious claim from Clyde fans that we were sabotaging our games in order to have games called off, so that we'd have a stronger team.

It was a joke.

There was once a serious claim from Clyde fans that we were sabotaging our games in order to have games called off, so that we'd have a stronger team.

Clyde fans are known idiots. We're a good bunch. We're just a bit annoyed that we were informed the game was on, just to be told the games off.

A major f**k up by the Elgin media team, but it happens.

I fully agree that postponing a game so late is unfair on travelling fans-including myself.For a home game, I catch the bus to Inverness at 08:15 and I am not back in until circa 23:00 and I recall one occasion when I arrived in Elgin and was on the  the High Street when I was informed that the game had been called off just before I had arrived. However, as some Elgin posters have pointed out we also get to to grounds only for the game to be called off late.. At the Forthbank game  several seasons ago it was blindingly obvious to us sitting in the bar at 14:15 that the game was going to be cancelled.Watching the officials trying to bounce the ball was  hilarious, however,much to the credit of SAFC, they refunded the city fans £10  as we went out the gate.This year in February the game at Central Park was called off at 14:00hrs again due to flooding on some parts of the pitch- a decision that was not universally accepted by the managers and   when most travelling Elgin fans from the North were  in the Perth/Fife area.

From the fans'perspective it is financially unsatisfactory as they bear the costs of travelling and then the game is postponed-hiring a bus etc as in the case of the Bino fans today and time lost and it is fully understandable why it p****s people off.

The clubs also lose out due to a loss of income streams: gate money, food and potential income from souvenir sales etc and stewarding costs will still have to be paid irrespective if the game went ahead or not. The midweek rearranged games, as far as I have witnessed including the Stirling game(above) never bring in the same amount of fans due to work commitments or because a lot of the fan base live outside the town and midweek public transport is non existent .Therefore the income loss   to the clubs is increased, so I can see why clubs will try and wait to the last moment before cancelling.

This is not a new situation to football and has been going on for probably as long as fans have travelled to games. However, what seems to go over heads of the football administrators is that fans have numerous choices in today's world,(Opportunity Cost argument in Economics) one of which is not to traipse around Scotland on a freezing December day only to find out when they are en route that the game is postponed.Yes,there are times when cancelling a game is outwith the control of either the club or the match officials eg when a sudden weather event can make it impossible for the game to go ahead but where the weather has been predictable as in the last week there should be a better way of deciding whether the game goes on or not

On Page 2, I asked if there was a cut off time when a referee had to inspect the pitch as in the case today-that is-given the known weather situation in the days prior to the game. If the football administrators seriously want to stop fans staying away from games due to previous bad experiences, they are going to come up with a better solution than at present.

Archived