Queens v Dumbarton

Up against a poor part time club, and once again Dykes is picked and is hopeless,
I walking down the road after the game and all supporters were saying he will not do at this level, Naysmith has big problems, that game today will not fill seats, it was awful, the onl good thing was when the referee put us out of our misery.

Dykes isn’t very good , how on earth he gets a game each week is beyond me

Give it a rest with the budget chat will you? What has a small budget got to do with the eyebleedingly bad style of football he has us playing? As someone said above, some of our stuff today would look poor in the division below. I have no idea why we continue to hoof the ball forward. At one point in the first half someone rolled the ball back to Brownlie, without even looking up he kicked it straight up the park. And before anyone comes out with the "you can't expect Barcelona quality in this division", I don't expect that. I don't however think it's too much to ask for a few passes to be strung together. The amount of times we just hit it up the park was unreal. Stirling came off the bench and I don't think he went long once. He misplaced a pass or two but give me that over it going long and being lost anyway.

We will have one of the smallest budgets but even so, I'm sure our budget should stretch to players capable of passing a ball on the deck. It's hard not to criticise Naysmith when this has been a recurring theme since he's come in.

I thought we were really poor today and Mercer fully deserved his MoM award. He looks a far better prospect when he takes a touch and thinks for a second rather than booting it away. I can't recall many times he lost the ball or was beaten and in the first half he was one of our most dangerous players.

1 point from a possible 6 against the teams in 8th and 9th. Hardly promotion play-off stuff.

You mean a style of play that has us 3rd highest scorers in the league?

And shipping 3, 4 or 5 goals past some teams.

Route one worked well for St Mirren against us the other week, so why not? Sometimes you have to play to to honking stuff to get a win and Dobbie is our most talented player (when he plays well) so getting the ball forward quick would make sense.

It’s a close league bar Brechin, and St Mirren are starting to pull away. So it’s fine margins in games.

Unfortunately we don’t have the strength in depth, and at a time when other teams are looking to strengthen, we will be losing players and making do with what we have. So that’s what a budget has to do with it.

I thought that was actually a reasonable enough game to watch. We certainly missed a chance of 3 points though as I thought we edged it overall. Queens had a lot of the ball In thelast 10/15 mins but in that time Scott Gallagher never really had a save to make. 

I was most impressed by our defence. The full backs were very good - especially considering they were both "stand ins" so to speak. Looked like Dick had been with the team for a while and Smith didn't look like a guy who has been warming the bench for months.

In midfield we were okay. But Barr is not anywhere near as effective as Hutton in there. The amount of times he played the ball first time, more or less all of them useless hoofs up the park to no-one, was ridiculous. But what else do you expect from a centre half? Roy just isn't the answer to our problems going forward. I like him but he just doesn't really fit in anywhere for me.

We still lack the creative spark in the final third. Hopefully we can bring someone in the aid that. Last season we were very lucky in that Sam Stanton, Andy Stirling and Robert Thompson all came onto a game about this time. Unfortunately, I don't really see the potential for any of our current squad to do the same this season. Only time will tell.

I guess it was always going to be a Martin wonder save which denied us the points after all the chat this week about how useless he is?

You mean a style of play that has us 3 highest scorers in the league?

And shipping 3, 4 or 5 goals past some teams.

Route one worked well for St Mirren against us the other week, so why not? Sometimes you have to play to to honking stuff to get a win and Dobbie is our most talented player (when he plays well) so getting the ball forward quick would make sense.

It’s a close league bar Brechin, and St Mirren are starting to pull away. So it’s fine margins in games.

Unfortunately we don’t have the strength in depth, and at a time when other teams are looking to strengthen, we will be losing players and making do with what we have. So that’s what a budget has to do with it.

Well we're 3rd highest goalscorers but 7 of those goals were scored by defenders so were likely set pieces or corners, 3 were penalties, 1 was an OG and 1 was a free kick. So that's 12 goals that weren't from open play so that drops us to 7th. Goals are goals but this instance I don't think his system can take the credit.

We've not put 3 past anyone in the league. We've put 4 past an awful Falkirk side twice and 4 past the worst team in the league. Hardly a huge achievement. The 5 against Dunfermline was impressive though.

I've no issue with us playing honking and winning. I'd bite your hand off for that. The problem is we're playing honking and not winning. Dobbie can't do anything when the ball is up in the air so it's a waste of time punting it to him. We don't need to get it up to him quickly, there's 90 minutes in a game. Route 1 clearly doesn't work so he deserves criticism for continuing with the awful approach.

Again, strength in depth and lack of funds to improve has nothing to do with how poor we are playing just now. We've shown against Dunfermline we're capable of playing decent football.

3 hours ago, The Caul Back said:

Up against a poor part time club

We're the best in the country and have been for 6 years. I don't think you k ow what you're talking about.

3 hours ago, Rangeman said:

I see lots want stewart back asap think some people have  all got short memories wee were getting gubbed regular with him and nade upfront and wee lost here the last time wee played  here so watch what you wish for draw will do me plenty endeavour today  and as I said with sick players 

Stewart is far and away our best striker. What games were we being gubbed? Dunfermline have gubbed us and Livi have gubbed us (Stewart didn't play against Livi). Nade is done, I think we all agree there. Stewart has a lot to offer though.

I see lots want stewart back asap think some people have  all got short memories wee were getting gubbed regular with him and nade upfront and wee lost here the last time wee played  here so watch what you wish for draw will do me plenty endeavour today  and as I said with sick players 

Thought wee done really well unlike some people on this that constantly slag our boys off and kid on they support the sons two players who played today shouldn’t have as they were ill and being sick before getting on bus but raised themselves to help the cause so I think wee done well and could have won so think on before you slag boys off in team and u no who I’m talking about 

I'd rather people giving honest opinions that having to read shite like this tbh.

8 hours ago, Rangeman said:

think on before you slag boys off in team and u no who I’m talking about 

Eh...

7 hours ago, Rangeman said:

wee were getting gubbed regular with him (Stewart) and nade upfront and wee lost here the last time wee played  here so watch what you wish for

So Stewart and Nade are fair game for criticism?

Surprised at suggestions Dumbarton "edged it". Thought we were in control throughout albeit a draw was reaonably fair. 

Martin made two decent saves (one at the end of the 1st half, one at close range from Gallagher) and one terrific one at the end from Nade's header.

For our part Gallacher made a very good save from Rankin, another at Kane's feet which was the best chance of the match and Thomson fired just wide with Gallacher stranded.

Mercer was excellent again.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I certainly wouldn't decry a Dumbarton side who consistently defy the "budget" argument and who are invariably very well organised and tough to beat.

It was interesting to see our rejected CB - Andy Dowie stroll through the game with Messrs Dobbie and Kane firmly ensconced in his hip pocket.

While there was some disagreement on the Mercer performance against St Mirren - no arguments yesterday. In a disappointing team performance he was outstanding from start to finish both defensively and significantly when attacking. An unreserved well done to him.

Dobbie unquestionably had an off day yday but when we are desperate for a goal in the last 15 minutes he is surely the last player that you would substitute.Going by his reaction the decision wasn't well received and the last thing the Manager can surely afford to do is piss off a player whose goals and assists repeatedly keep us out of trouble ( hopefully!!).

I hope he did, otherwise the manager is taking a hell of a risk with his job.

Why should any player be above being subbed? Certainly to the extent it's a risk to the manager's job?

It was mentioned above he was having an off day. I'm sure Dobbie is professional enough to accept being subbed off when you're having an off day is part of the game. If he isn't then that's a bigger problem than the gaffer subbing him IMO.