Stay Classy Sinn Fein

It is cheeky of Irish Language enthusiasts to try and exploit the precarious political balance to get lots of state funding for their hobby but after shaking down Westminster for a cool billion the DUP are in no position to criticise political opportunism or to say that the money’s not there

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Your going to have to explain how it's a human rights thing, as far as I'm aware there isn't any rights that require anyone to conduct business with you in any particular language.

Linguistic rights are human rights. I would hope for the vast majority of people that is not even contestable.

Who is talking about conducting business?

The human rights associated with linguistic rights are primarily concerned with functions of the state.

Practically this means little more than a right to education in your language and access to healthcare, justice , culture and media in a proportionate way relative to majority languages.

Before the "*What about Urdu" brigade start. The European Charter for Regional and Minority Languages, which the UK has ratified, does not include "immigrant" languages.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Linguistic rights are human rights. I would hope for the vast majority of people that is not even contestable.

Who is talking about conducting business?

The human rights associated with linguistic rights are primarily concerned with functions of the state.

Practically this means little more than a right to education in your language and access to healthcare, justice , culture and media in a proportionate way relative to majority languages.

Before the "*What about Urdu" brigade start. The European Charter for Regional and Minority Languages, which the UK has ratified, does not include "immigrant" languages.

Surely English is an immigrant language in n Ireland

1 minute ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

You raise a good question. How long does a language need to have been in use in a country before it has to be accepted by blood and soil nationalists?

I think the purveyors of English in n Ireland are clearly the blood and soil nationalists here

Surely English is an immigrant language in n Ireland

Spoken by 100% of the population of Northern Ireland, a mere 0.2% speak fluent and regularly use Irish as their first language. Presumably there are many day to day occasions where even they will need to switch to English in order to communicate and complete the most basic of transactions. I can’t think of another ‘immigrant language’ that compares as such.
The Catholic Church of Ireland was a keen supporter of promoting the widespread use of English across the whole of the island (spoken & written) in both the 18th & 19th Century, just out of interest btw.

3 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Spoken by 100% of the population of Northern Ireland, a mere 0.2% speak fluent and regularly use Irish as their first language. Presumably there are many day to day occasions where even they will need to switch to English in order to communicate and complete the most basic of transactions. I can’t think of another ‘immigrant language’ that compares as such.
The Catholic Church of Ireland was a keen supporter of promoting the widespread use of English across the whole of the island (spoken & written) in both the 18th & 19th Century, just out of interest btw.

Why are the DUP blocking Stormont over it though? Do they see a tactical advantage somewhere?

7 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

LOL

Absolutely triggered!   It's true though isn't it Rob.  English is an immigrant language in n Ireland.  That's a fact Rob isn't it?

15 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

LOL

Absolutely triggered!   It's true though isn't it Rob.  English is an immigrant language in n Ireland.  That's a fact Rob isn't it?

It's an immigrant language in England. Snowflake. If you insist on using teenage alt-right immigrant language.

Edited by welshbairn

LOL

How far do you want to go back Pep, English has been used/spoken in Ireland since the Middle Ages, I guess to the benefit of both the indigenous and their visitors. Perhaps in the same way that the Anglo Saxons and Normans have influenced and shaped the language we use today.

Is English an immigrant language in Ireland in the same sense as the use of English in America or Australia, yes I suppose it is, it’s adoption being much earlier however.

By coincidence, just reading a wee while ago how the Arab Moors influenced the modern Spanish Language. Interesting stuff!

Why are the DUP blocking Stormont over it though? Do they see a tactical advantage somewhere?

Seems as though there might have been, perhaps still is a deal in the offing, including the Ulster-Scots language and protection of other ‘cultural celebrations’. AF has since confirmed that there can be no stand alone deal on an ILA.
Guess you can imagine the cost and red tape that mandatory quotas and binding legislation will create across all areas of public life, in Education, Health, Employment, Housing, Transport, Local Government etc..etc..for such a small percentage of people who FULLY use the language. Strikes me that there are much more pressing matters than this smokescreen.

12 minutes ago, RedRob72 said:

Seems as though there might have been, perhaps still is a deal in the offing, including the Ulster-Scots language and protection of other ‘cultural celebrations’. AF has since confirmed that there can be no stand alone deal on an ILA.
Guess you can imagine the cost and red tape that mandatory quotas and binding legislation will create across all areas of public life, in Education, Health, Employment, Housing, Transport, Local Government etc..etc..for such a small percentage of people who FULLY use the language. Strikes me that there are much more pressing matters than this smokescreen.

They cope with similar laws in Wales and Scotland; and Eire for that matter. I was wondering if the DUP thought there would be an advantage in being the only NI voice heard by Westminster after their seemingly foot in mouth decision to campaign for Brexit? And the convenience of not having to talk about the Energy thing, which probably cost far more than the ILA ever would.

Edited by welshbairn