Friday 12th January D Day

I also was at the council meeting, representing the Sunday central.

When we spoke to our clubs there was as expected some moans, myself included but we understood the need for a rise in fees even if we are not happy with it.

Our league gives any surplus money back and have done for years and it was also good to hear the treasurer intimate a similar option if we get back on track.

Those that know me know I’ve had many run ins with those on the exec even the Vice President who I regard as a personal friend so I owe them no alliance.

The rise is 50% from £70 to £105, the fees have not risen in eight or nine years, the politics in the association three four years ago stopped the “incoming “ people from putting the fees up, this was after they were set originally for five years.

No one likes any fees to be upped , but your not telling me they shouldn’t rise for nine years.

Our league backed the rise and last night I was given an opportunity to add to the proposal, we still backed the proposal but suggest the rise is implemented over two years. Ie £90 in year one and £105 in year two.

We also need to set a reserve figure, currently £250k and agree that any surplus is divided between the leagues to feed out to their members.

The liquid fees of the safa in the bank are roughly £115k with the rest made up of bonds etc that don’t mature to a latter date which if surrendering would mean a reduction in actual figures.

Even when sitting with £300k in the accounts it’s not a true figure as there’s always monies to be paid out, if my maths are correct there’s still roughly £56k still to be out in the current financial year.

The cost of running the association was mentioned last night as roughly £180k per annum.

The exec and finance must be held to always get the best deal for our members.they must always seek the most cost effective option, they must be accountable.

The other alternatives put forward included raising cup fees by a fiver and the safa collecting I’d imagine £5 fines for yellow cards in district and national cup fixtures(currently they don’t collect yellow card fines.

This would be far in excess of what the executive proposed, I’d imagine it’s something they may back, personally for me it would be silly to back as it would cost the clubs a lot more money going forward, as I’ve said a lot more than the original plan put forward.

The status quo is simply not an option, it’s suicide to continue with the same fees that were set nine years ago when there was fifty four leagues with over 1400 teams to the present day I believe 48 leagues with roughly 1050 teams,

and if it hadn’t been for monies received from the sfa yearly after signing up to the one national plan six years ago we would actually be in dire straits, and the exec wouldn’t have have been afforded the option of not increasing fees over the last four years.

Sorry for the long winded reply but I strongly believe we need to back most of the proposal.

To end it was with sadness to hear that the President Rex Gallacher has been diagnosed with terminal cancer, the thoughts of all of us are with Rex and his wife Marie at this time.

Well there u have it, an informative and unbiased view. Having read nearly all of your views, ideas and comments on pie and Bovril it is clear that ur a man that always puts the clubs first. If your opinion is that this or similar is best for the Amateur game then that is good enough for me. Horrible news about the president. Some things are bigger than the game.

• 2 months later...

Archived