What's the most "Tin Pot" thing you've seen in the SPFL

9 hours ago, sophia said:

Haha, saw thst earlier! Whole load of "hold me back!" stuff then when one lad does (easily) slip the half-hearted stewarding he absolutely shites himself.

Daft wee fannies. Sadly seems to be a thing on the rise at quite a few clubs. 

14 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Christ Abraham on a bike. That’s surely a criminal offence? What next? Swastika tifos? 

According to the Jewish Chronicle the club have started an  investigation
https://www.thejc.com/news/scottish-jewish-leaders-welcome-investigation-after-nazi-flag-flown-at-rangers-match-hfddikhg

It's particularly odd because lately Celtic arseholes have been the ones sailing close to the wind on anti-semitism. 

15 hours ago, Junior_Arab said:

Christ on a bike. That’s surely a criminal offence? What next? Swastika tifos? 

Ibrox - where you can see Nazi insignia, Nazi salutes and Israeli flags simultaneously....

12160_Plug_0003_Layer-5.jpg?strip=all&qu

39 minutes ago, Crùbag said:

Ibrox - where you can see Nazi insignia, Nazi salutes and Israeli flags simultaneously....

12160_Plug_0003_Layer-5.jpg?strip=all&qu

Not even Plug would be that dim-whitted. (It would be close though)

49 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Beck when we used to give Celtic plenty of tickets at Tynecastle I remember seeing the papal banner and the flag of the Spanish republic side by side. 

And yet another good reason to give them only a paltry amount of tickets.

2 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Beck when we used to give Celtic plenty of tickets at Tynecastle I remember seeing the papal banner and the flag of the Spanish republic side by side. 

Oh dear...

No Sense I Dont Get It GIF by Dead Meat James

On 07/02/2024 at 14:57, Arch Stanton said:

Two absolutely tin-pot things about England's hosting of the 1966 World Cup.

One of the games in England's group, France v Uruguay, had to be played at the dilapidated former Olympic Stadium at White City. Why you ask? It was scheduled for a Saturday and Saturdays at Wembley was greyhound night. The greyhound promoters refused to cancel hence the football was moved.

It was a Friday.

In defence of White City it was still used regularly by FA through 1960s for Amateur Cup SFs, amateur and youth internationals and had been used by QPR couple of years prior. I'd speculate some other London venues may have had their pitches shut regrowing etc.

On 07/02/2024 at 14:57, Arch Stanton said:

Secondly, the final was played on 31st July. Why so late? Well the BBC were the sole broadcasters and couldn't have covered the tournament in the close season because of their commitments to cover Wimbledon and the Open golf

This is a myth IIRC - indeed BBC + ITV shared rights (every England tie was live on ITV) and most TV ties were on weekday evenings.

It was timed to finish immediately before preseason window began... incidentally 1966 was first year Scottish clubs were allowed to play home preseason friendlies.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

It was a Friday.

In defence of White City it was still used regularly by FA through 1960s for Amateur Cup SFs, amateur and youth internationals and had been used by QPR couple of years prior. I'd speculate some other London venues may have had their pitches shut regrowing etc.

This is a myth IIRC - indeed BBC + ITV shared rights (every England tie was live on ITV) and most TV ties were on weekday evenings.

It was timed to finish immediately before preseason window began... incidentally 1966 was first year Scottish clubs were allowed to play home preseason friendlies.

I was given a sticker book for my birthday before the 1966 World Cup and years later found it when I was clearing out stuff.

France v Uruguay was originally to be at Wembley and England v Mexico at White City BUT I had kept a cutting from the paper that The Met Police had objected so England got to play all their games at Wembley. The report mentioned the rules were the host Nation had to play one group game in another stadium. That rule was junked for later World cups after England had circumvented it.

Just now, Alberto Spencer said:

I was given a sticker book for my birthday before the 1966 World Cup and years later found it when I was clearing out stuff.

France v Uruguay was originally to be at Wembley and England v Mexico at White City BUT I had kept a cutting from the paper that The Met Police had objected so England got to play all their games at Wembley. The report mentioned the rules were the host Nation had to play one group game in another stadium. That rule was junked for later World cups after England had circumvented it.

England were also down to play their SF at Goodison Park, but when it came to the crunch it got switched to Wembley... those with tickets to Goodison had to settle for West Germany v USSR.

23 hours ago, MazzyStar said:

The BBC are sycophants 

I disagree. Like the rest of the "Scottish" sporting media they're cowards and enablers of bigotry.

1 minute ago, HibeeJibee said:

England were also down to play their SF at Goodison Park, but when it came to the crunch it got switched to Wembley... those with tickets to Goodison had to settle for West Germany v USSR.

That's right! (I'd forgotten about that). Still, chances to see Franz Beckenbauer score past Lev Yashin would have been a compensation (Lev misjudged the shot thinking it was going wide).

Apart from that goal I remember Igor Chislenko getting studded in a (no foul given) challenge, struggling to his feet ang getting revenge against the nearest German (Helmut Haller who played in Italy and was an expert in rolling around the ground). Poor Igor was sent off which made sure the Germans got through.

On 08/02/2024 at 11:22, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Please don't post like this in future. People already think Hearts fans are posh and drive Land Rovers.