Chester to go bust again?

Girth

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was also revealed that the club would be looking to offload those players on lucrative two-year deals, such as Paul Turnbull, Kingsley James and Ross Hannah, and that their names would be circulated in the coming days.

Hughes said: “I’m concerned the way things have been going on the football side of things. We don’t want the mistakes being made again. I was shocked and appalled at some of the figures I saw on players’ 52-week contracts. Not right how a large part of budget had been spent on a few players. 

Yep, definitely no parallels with Billericay's model then; apart from the idea that because Chester used to be a league team, they have the right to outspend their resources. 

Football at that level often requires teams to be unsustainable to try to be competitive.  I was involved with Ebbsfleet and MyFootballClub when the first Chester went tits up in 2010 and for the smaller teams (attendance in the 1000 range) you had to run a deficit or be relegated.  Actually the original Chester's last game was against us (a 3-2 Ebbsfleet win).  The Billaricay's of the world only make it harder for the teams to try to compete while breaking even.

8 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

Football at that level often requires teams to be unsustainable to try to be competitive.  I was involved with Ebbsfleet and MyFootballClub when the first Chester went tits up in 2010 and for the smaller teams (attendance in the 1000 range) you had to run a deficit or be relegated.  Actually the original Chester's last game was against us (a 3-2 Ebbsfleet win).  The Billaricay's of the world only make it harder for the teams to try to compete while breaking even.

Then go down to the next tier as a sustainable football club and let the Billericays go tits up. Claiming that they did it first is nothing short of financial whataboutery. 

encouraging to see how they've clearly taken on board the lessons learned from their previous insolvency

only one place that they should be allowed to play league football should they miraculously survive/re-invent themselves again...

wales.jpg.41f170c0f16c84d2bca56af0194c384c.jpg

Why would Leicester need to pay up a transfer fee of £130,00 which is the reported amount plus add ons?

"Kirby also announced that the second instalment of the transfer fee for Sam Hughes' move to Leicester City was still yet to arrive and that efforts to bring the date forward for receiving that money were ongoing."

Bit strange for a club that you would expect to be awash with money to want to do that.

Don't know much about Billericay but doesn't that just come over as a new Gretna?

45 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I was sad that Ebbsfleet's ownership model didn't really work out - what happened there exactly?

As a regular non-league English football viewer I'm convinced that the prize of league football now is so immense (TV rights, more exposure etc.) that most conference teams are now going full time to compete (rather than part time as they were way back). Small teams such as Boreham Wood (I know for a fact ) are paying their players astronomical wages in order to merely survive in that league. This is insane since they're a tiny team with a crap catchment area as Arsenal and Tottenham nearby.

Bigger non league and ex non league clubs such as Wrexham, Luton, Grimsby etc. can afford to stay full time and push on because they have the resources and support to deal with splashing a bit of cash.

Interesting to see Stockport still have excellent support but are seemingly stuck in Conference North. I'm presuming they're operating within their means unlike the village vegans of Forest Green.

Chester are pretty unlucky. Their previous owner was pretty much a gangsta running the club so the bans boycotted. They started again and things have been going okay but have stagnated recently. I would have thought their ownership structure would have prevented this from happening.

Hornchurch, Weymouth and now Billericay have all cheated their way badly in football. Billericay will definitely be the next football casualty (hopefully not Chester).

Big clubs are allowed to piss away money on a regular basis and nothing gets done about it.

I mean are Man City, Man United and Chelsea operating within the rules!? I'd much rather see a fairer German model of football club ownership in play to prevent people losing the clubs they love.

If Chester can't sustain National League football as a fan run club then they have to cut back and drop a level, or change their constitution and bring in outside investors.

Can't see the latter happening, so down they go. A pity, but the club seems to have gone really stale in the last couple of years. Clearly many of the fanbase still view them as a football league club, but they don't have the money to match those ambitions at present.

5 minutes ago, Girth said:

I was sad that Ebbsfleet's ownership model didn't really work out - what happened there exactly?

When MyFC took over the club, Ebbsfleet was full time and spending well above it's means so we had provided the cash injection necessary to keep spending at that level and our financial predictions anticipated a much higher annual renewal rate (at 35 quid per person).  When the renewal numbers (and revenue) fell well short of what had been expected, we had to cut spending drastically, including going part time, selling players etc... which resulted in a) infighting within MyFC and b) anger from the existing Ebbsfleet fans that the team was no longer as comptetitive as it had been. 

It's all well and good to say that a team should play at a lower level to operate within it's means but that's not an answer most fans want to hear so that opens up a whole new set of issues for clubs such as angry fans that don't want to come to games at a lower level, which can be especially tough for some fans of a team like Chester who had been at a higher level for so long.

2 hours ago, Girth said:

Hornchurch, Weymouth and now Billericay have all cheated their way badly in football. Billericay will definitely be the next football casualty (hopefully not Chester).

Interesting you mention Weymouth, go and watch their rivals Dorchester quite regularly. Strange demise with Weymouth, should never have moved grounds, that was the first issue. 

44 minutes ago, LondonHMFC said:

Interesting you mention Weymouth...

possibly unique - and therefor terribly exciting -  use of colours in their kit : officially listed as "terracotta and sky blue" - bit like the way I always remember Albion Rovers being said to play in "primrose yellow and cerise" - possibly on one of those bartholomew football map things (or equally possibly, complete nonsense...) ???

1 hour ago, 7-2 said:

Chester have never previously gone bust. Chester City did.  It's a totally new club that didn't buy City's history and try to pretend it was the one that died.

Daryl Clare - former Chester City player and fat c**t - was horribly abused by Rovers fans, due to being a Chester City player and a fat c**t, during the two league matches of the 2002/03 season

we then played them in the two-legged play-off semi finals and Clare played out the second leg at the Deva with a mars bar stuck down his sock, ready to celebrate if/when he scored and Chester won (first leg finished 1-1) by ceremonially eating  said chocolatey comestible in front of the travelling fans; he didn't score, and Rovers won on penalties, which was extraordinarily amusing - he was goaded appropriately and scenes ensued which involved Clare on the pitch in tears...

Daryl Clare is a fat c**t

4 hours ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

If Chester can't sustain National League football as a fan run club then they have to cut back and drop a level, or change their constitution and bring in outside investors.

Can't see the latter happening, so down they go. A pity, but the club seems to have gone really stale in the last couple of years. Clearly many of the fanbase still view them as a football league club, but they don't have the money to match those ambitions at present.

Exactly. Unfortunately a fair number of football supporters think they have a right to support a club at a certain level. Usually that is the historic high water level. When that isn't achieved, they will then clutch at a series of straws in an attempt to get there. It doesn't and can't last at lower levels. Football games are unpredictable, benefactors are fickle and water will find its  level eventually.

Society has changed a lot in a few decades, clubs can't continually punch above their weight, even with artificial support. Chester and many others are experiencing that now. Their circumstances have changed for the worse and others are replacing them, having their day in the sun until it's back to their turn to plummet back to mediocrity.

17 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Exactly. Unfortunately a fair number of football supporters think they have a right to support a club at a certain level. Usually that is the historic high water level. When that isn't achieved, they will then clutch at a series of straws in an attempt to get there. It doesn't and can't last at lower levels. Football games are unpredictable, benefactors are fickle and water will find its  level eventually.

Society has changed a lot in a few decades, clubs can't continually punch above their weight, even with artificial support. Chester and many others are experiencing that now. Their circumstances have changed for the worse and others are replacing them, having their day in the sun until it's back to their turn to plummet back to mediocrity.

couldn't agree more - having watched Rovers struggle to keep their heads above water against the likes of Leek Town, Leigh RMI, Barrow and the rest, revelled in a League Two title win and turning Leeds over at Wembley, I am constantly at odds with the happy clappy fụcktards who have now hitched their spotty arses to the club and who see fit to complain about the standard of the performance turned in whilst getting creditable draws against peterborough, shrewsbury, scunny and fleetwood - not the result they're taking issue with, but the actual standard of the performance with regard to how entertaining or otherwise they thought it was - as if we now have some divine right not only to compete one level below the highest at which we have ever operated, but to do so with scintillating displays of attacking verve, tactical mastery and individual skills that should put the 70's Brazilian side to shame; young folk today, eh - fucking snowflakes the lot of 'em....

;)

It was a stupid idea, doomed to failure. See above for more detail.

That's a bit of an over simplification there sarge. The execution of the idea was by far the major problem, I still believe that if it has been done properly it could have been a success

Archived