The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

I'm guessing the reason he repeated it at the AGM  and every other opportunity he gets, is to try and put as much pressure on the Planning Committee  with his doom and gloom scenario.

Personally, I'd like them to redevelop Pittodrie.  The number of times we sell it out is infrequently enough  that we could  reasonably have  a reduced capacity of 17 or 18K.   But I'm an old codger who used to go the Beach End  and was upset when that got demolished .

45 minutes ago, akredz said:

I'm guessing the reason he repeated it at the AGM  and every other opportunity he gets, is to try and put as much pressure on the Planning Committee  with his doom and gloom scenario.

Yarp. Spot on.

45 minutes ago, akredz said:

Personally, I'd like them to redevelop Pittodrie.  The number of times we sell it out is infrequently enough  that we could  reasonably have  a reduced capacity of 17 or 18K.   But I'm an old codger who used to go the Beach End  and was upset when that got demolished .

All of the above.

Losing the Beach End was bad enough, the hideous monstrosity they put in its place was like rubbing salt in the wound. It has sucked the soul & atmosphere out of Pittodrie for 25 years.

In fairness the atmosphere at Pittodrie has, other a few exceptions, always been shyte!  Mind you I've only been going since 1975 so maybe it was me that caused it, and before then it was ace.

It's a terrible ground with terrible facilities.  It is the stadium of my youth, and I do have some dewey-eyed nostalgic moments, but I take my kids there these days and they 'suffer it' for my sake, rather than enjoy it.

Yours

aDONis

image.jpg1_.870665.jpg

Beach End -  Ipswich Town game

Nostalgia nearly always makes things better,  but I have a genuine affection for the Beach End and the atmosphere there. Of course, that may be , because I was a teen boy and prone to losing my mind and voice at the football back then.
The Dick Donald Stand, for all it's newness and shinyness back then still seemed a bit sterile.

14 minutes ago, aDONisSheep said:

In fairness the atmosphere at Pittodrie has, other a few exceptions, always been shyte!  Mind you I've only been going since 1975 so maybe it was me that caused it, and before then it was ace.

It's a terrible ground with terrible facilities.  It is the stadium of my youth, and I do have some dewey-eyed nostalgic moments, but I take my kids there these days and they 'suffer it' for my sake, rather than enjoy it.

Yours

aDONis

No one said it was ever ace, but the ridiculous RDS made it even worse. It's a horrible mix of hard core and families, not one thing or the other.

What atmosphere Pittodrie ever did have was in the old Beach End and then when that was given over to the visiting fans, the King Street End until that was transferred to mams and bairns. Now there's fucking nowhere for what few noise makers we do have to assemble.

Besides, very few Scottish grounds ever have anything other than a shite atmosphere because for the most part they're more than half empty. Even those that aren;t half empty tend towards crap atmospheres.

I blame seats.

On 18/12/2017 at 02:20, COYR said:

Had a go at working out the contested capacity conundrum using the scaled plans of Pittodrie and Hearts new stand.

The Dick Donald and Merkland stands are fine and the Champions League level maximum recommended size pitch and track of 120x80m added.

K7pYMv1.jpg

16,884 for those 3 stands and if you got 6 rows of seating in a new stand on the other side that would be over 18,000. Lots of space opened up on the south side and the Merkland corner for fans to queue, mill about or evacuate and the necessary space for vehicles. 

Must be a much cheaper option too.

Won't be able to build a stand as high as the Tynecastle main stand where the south stand currently is, so would be a smaller capacity stand for a start. Around 4,000 is what you could get there.

Around 16,000 capacity rebuilt Pittodrie at a maximum is what you're looking at if redeveloping *on the current footprint*.

On 18/12/2017 at 11:54, EdTheDuck said:

It costs too much

It won’t be allowed because…flats. Aye, flats.

It costs too much because nae money fae sale o’ Pittodrie, ken.

The trainin’ complex!!! Fit aboot the trainin’ complex?!

We need 20,000 seats! 18,500’s nae enough because look at Setterday’s game against Hibs, 18,500 widna hae been near enough tae cater for 15,000 (btw 15,000? Really?)

It costs too much.

There’s nae room even though ye maun think there is wi’ yer wee dra’in tae scale.

It costs too much.

etc. etc. and so on and so forth

Are you contesting that it won't cost too much?

So you either live in a fantasy land where knocking down stands and building new ones is all cheap, or you live in a different fantasy land where Milne should just spend all his money on the stadium, and while he's at it give McInnes £20m so he can get us to the champions league etc etc.

On 18/12/2017 at 20:26, lubo_blaha said:

Many supporters can see that Kingsford is a daft idea but it's not up to them to identify a new stadium site.

If you can't think of an alternative site, then how can you argue Aberdeen have the wrong one? It's also just ignorance to say "you're wrong but I don't have to explain why" which is basically what you're doing.

If the club could build anywhere they liked, then they wouldn't be building it at Kingsford. They are because they have no other options.

While on topic through: Dyce, King's Links and Loirston all are/would have been better options. The club incredibly turned down the chance to be part of the new AECC site but King's Links and Loirston are still deliverable.

No details given about Dyce though was there? Like how much it cost, how much room there was, etc. The council also offered them Loirston then reneged and took land back off them. 

The land isn't available at Kings Links, and even so from an engineering point of view it would be very difficult to build on that land, due to the high sand content and being much closer to the sea. The pitch would be like a marsh most weeks.

Loirston - I posted the photo a few pages back that shows how much land is now left. Not much.

Each of those would have cost more than the otherwise unusable land at Kingsford but we would make that money back in the long run by not having to splash out on hiring 50-100 buses every week at £500 a go. 

Really? 

Firstly, it's not a couple of hundred pound more to build on these places, it's millions more, which gets turned into a debt, and interest, and takes years to pay off. Aberdeen would struggle to run at a profit. Have you just forgotten what it was like having a huge debt for years? It wasn't that long ago. 

Secondly, you not think we'd need shuttle buses to Dyce and Loirston?

7 hours ago, EdTheDuck said:

No one said it was ever ace, but the ridiculous RDS made it even worse. It's a horrible mix of hard core and families, not one thing or the other.

What atmosphere Pittodrie ever did have was in the old Beach End and then when that was given over to the visiting fans, the King Street End until that was transferred to mams and bairns. Now there's fucking nowhere for what few noise makers we do have to assemble.

Besides, very few Scottish grounds ever have anything other than a shite atmosphere because for the most part they're more than half empty. Even those that aren;t half empty tend towards crap atmospheres.

I blame seats.

Sounds great. We should definitely put the club in a mountain of unsustainable debt just so we can keep the stadium that no-one actually seems to like.

Really? 
Firstly, it's not a couple of hundred pound more to build on these places, it's millions more, which gets turned into a debt, and interest, and takes years to pay off. Aberdeen would struggle to run at a profit. Have you just forgotten what it was like having a huge debt for years? It wasn't that long ago. 
Secondly, you not think we'd need shuttle buses to Dyce and Loirston?

If we can only afford to build a stadium in a shite location then we shouldn’t be building one at all. Kingsford is fine for a training ground but is a mad location for a stadium.

The Loirston plans included shuttle buses but not near the same number as Kingsford. Dyce would’ve been much better with current and planned rail links as well.

On 12/18/2017 at 21:07, 7-2 said:

Kick the golf course out to Kingsford.  A central football club will be much more valuable to the Aberdeen economy than a golf course.  Jobs a good un.

Kings Links GC is one of only 4 leisure facilities that make money for the cooncil, the other three being........golf courses. 

On 12/16/2017 at 02:53, COYR said:

Was going to write a massive spiel but, arsed getting into long arguments with members of the bullshit online world of fantasists pushing the move. Pittodrie is great. It works for Aberdeen and its fans. 

Nobody in the real world wants to do any of the stuff that going to a game in Westhill would involve.

That's about it.

Oh, and that 'architect's plan of Pittodrie is incredible. New main 398. New Merkland 1904 (220 less than the Accies away end). Take it he doesn't work for Populous. 

Milne needs to depart for us to get any truth. St Mirren's 8k stadium £8m. Three sides 6k at Pittodrie £50m. OK M8

I've one mate not keen on the move, and one aquaintance who doesn't go to football who thinks it'll be a disaster. 

Everyone else out my way or in Westhill (that I know, not the WANKS obviously none of whom I know personally) are in favour. So, ye ken. 

On 12/16/2017 at 03:27, COYR said:

It's a great old stadium full of traditions. You can sit or stand where you want and get the experience, view, toilet and pie queue that you choose. It's lacking modern dressing rooms, dugouts and media facilities. We could build a new stand at some point in the last or next 20 years to solve that. 

It's absolutely shite. Pittodrie now so far behind modern clubs it's nae funny. 

18 minutes ago, fatshaft said:

It's absolutely shite. Pittodrie now so far behind modern clubs it's nae funny. 

You have to stand up to see the opposite corner of the pitch along the south stand side too. 

It's not a coincidence that Hearts and now Hibs are attracting more fans along to games and grow their fan base - their grounds are far superior. Some people don't get it though. They want to sit on seats bolted on to old terracing, or stand in a corner of the ground with no roof. Funny how it's always empty when it's raining though. The state of the south stand toilets are an absolute joke as i'm sure any away fan would testify to. The Merkland being the family stand have to utilise the space behind the goals for any pre match activities for kids - not even sure if they do the face paining etc any more, but the club could do so much more with a concourse like in the RDS.  I don't care for any of that stuff, but kids do, folk with kids looking to entertain them for a couple of hours do.

The main stand, well look at it. ood view of the game though if you're not blocked by a pillar.

The RDS is the only stand fit for purpose. 

Edited by shootingboots