The Aberdeen Mega-Hyper New Stadium Thread

Just now, 1320Lichtie said:

Takes me longer to get from Harrison Park in Edinburgh to South Queensferry Road a lot of the time than it does getting from the Fife side of the Queensferry crossing to my Flat in the centre of Dundee but Google Maps won’t show that either

Mr Milne, I mean fatshaft, was irritated enough yesterday to actually give me a red dot :lol: (hence my sweet little post about me sulking with him) and the constant referral to Google Maps is meant to irritate me right back.

And of course you're right Google Maps are fine and dandy up to a point, that point being the real world

2 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Mr Milne, I mean fatshaft, was irritated enough yesterday to actually give me a red dot :lol: (hence my sweet little post about me sulking with him) and the constant referral to Google Maps is meant to irritate me right back.

And of course you're right Google Maps are fine and dandy up to a point, that point being the real world

Oh fucking wise up. If any one of you actually believe it could ever take anything close to as long to get to Kingsford as it would Dundee from the middle of Aberdeen you need to book yourself in somewhere for special people. 

Just now, fatshaft said:

Oh fucking wise up. If any one of you actually believe it could ever take anything close to as long to get to Kingsford as it would Dundee from the middle of Aberdeen you need to book yourself in somewhere for special people. 

:lol:

Don’t think anyone meant it literally

But tbf I reckon I could get to a stadium in Queensferry quicker than a Hearts fan from Morningside could on a weeknight [emoji6]

As a matter of fact the shite about having to go to Glasgow or Edinburgh for European games is a load of bollocks.

The suggestion is that AFC would need Easter Road or Tynecastle (or Parkhead/Ibrox/Hampden) to cater for the attendance based on the recent 18,000 - 20,000 gates at Pittodrie.

It is patent bloody nonsense to suggest we would get an attendance anywhere near that if we played in Edinburgh or Glasgow. Hands up Hibs or Hearts fans who would fork out £25 to watch Aberdeen play some Slovenian or Bosnian mob? And Celtic or Rangers fans? Aye, right. There's no way 18,000 Aberdonians would be  making a 250 or 300 mile Thursday evening round trip, unless we draw Real Madrid (in the EL, qualifiers y'know).

Dens 11,000 would be plenty big enough.  Gayfield's 6,000 might be enough TBH because of course the reduced capacity Pittodrie would mean a massive decline in AFC fortunes (off & on the field, although we would still qualify for Europe apparently) so fewer people would follow us...

Snake oil, frankly, the whole Kingsford thing IMO.  It's full of contradictions and omissions and ridiculous 'what-ifs'.

8 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

As a matter of fact the shite about having to go to Glasgow or Edinburgh for European games is a load of bollocks.

The suggestion is that AFC would need Easter Road or Tynecastle (or Parkhead/Ibrox/Hampden) to cater for the attendance based on the recent 18,000 - 20,000 gates at Pittodrie.

It is patent bloody nonsense to suggest we would get an attendance anywhere near that if we played in Edinburgh or Glasgow. Hands up Hibs or Hearts fans who would fork out £25 to watch Aberdeen play some Slovenian or Bosnian mob? And Celtic or Rangers fans? Aye, right. There's no way 18,000 Aberdonians would be  making a 250 or 300 mile Thursday evening round trip, unless we draw Real Madrid (in the EL, qualifiers y'know).

Dens 11,000 would be plenty big enough.  Gayfield's 6,000 might be enough TBH because of course the reduced capacity Pittodrie would mean a massive decline in AFC fortunes (off & on the field, although we would still qualify for Europe apparently) so fewer people would follow us...

Snake oil, frankly, the whole Kingsford thing IMO.  It's full of contradictions and omissions and ridiculous 'what-ifs'.

Agree 100%.

Think the Edinburgh/ Glasgow thing came directly from Stewarty and Yule. As did every car arriving at Kingsford would have three passengers. No one really believed that, did they?

2 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

Not to mention this:

At present only friendly International matches can be played at Pittodrie as it does not meet SFA standards for competitive International matches. With the likely abolition of friendly International matches and the introduction of more competitive matches in conjunction with the SFA, without Kingsford, Aberdeen will lose out on the opportunity to host these matches.

Two questions:

1. When was the last time that Scotland had a crowd of < 20000 for a competitive match?
2. Is there likely to be an abolition of international friendlies?

And then just to take the ludicrous to extremes:

The Principal of Robert Gordon University spoke at the pre-determination hearing of the importance of a successful football team to the ability of the City’s educational institutions to attract international students to Aberdeen.

I am sure that there is a reason why it was RGU and not Aberdeen Uni that made these comments...  Whilst I am sure that international students have a significant checklist of requirements for which Uni to choose,  the location of the nearest football team is not going to be a significant factor.  I mean how many choose Aberdeen over St. Andrews due to the success of AFC. :lol:

4 minutes ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Agree 100%.

Think the Edinburgh/ Glasgow thing came directly from Stewarty and Yule. As did every car arriving at Kingsford would have three passengers. No one really believed that, did they?

The whole transport plan is based on cars having an average of 2.9 occupants.

3 hours ago, fatshaft said:

Concerns have also included terrorism, pipelines, otters, birds, floodlights stopping people sitting in their gardens at night, getting to the cinema, ambulances, a cairn of discarded beer cans at the shire/city border, traffic being at a standstill, traffic doing 80mph, the road being shut for 3 hours every Saturday, you know, actual real worries :P 

Stewarty,of course pipelines never suffer cracking do they? Just asking.

There is a pipeline a few hundred metres behind my house. A helicopter flies the length of the pipeline every few days. Any ideas why that’s done? What a waste of money.

22 minutes ago, Booker-T said:

Why do Aberdeen have to move?

Because Pittodrie is no longer fit to host a pig-wrestling tournament, much less 21st century football. To be honest three quarters of it is pretty manky and the fourth quarter is entirely out of place with the general lay of the land and was from the day ot was built.

Re-building the manky bits would take so much money and involve squeezing a quart into a pint pot (allegedly) that the only option is to up sticks to a place in the country.

The place in the country will be wonderful and we will all live happily ever after.

The End

1 hour ago, strichener said:

Two questions:

1. When was the last time that Scotland had a crowd of < 20000 for a competitive match?

I read that none of the competitive matches we've played this century have had <20k, looking at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scotland_national_football_team_2000–19_results it seems true. Slovenia in March had 20,435 but that was on a Sunday night.

UEFA Nations League next year means most friendlies will be replaced by competitive matches.

7 hours ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Really cannot understand why some Dons fans are so keen to leave one of Scotland’s great stadiums, steeped in culture.

Its not even close to being a good stadium never mind great.

OK it’s a bit tired looking but nothing that couldn’t be put right. 

Aye, with a huge amount of money.  And probably a smaller capacity.

Livingston’s soulless stadium still haunts me. 

It has a capacity of 8,700.

Kingsford will be 20,000.

Laughable comparing the two.

Not to mention this:

Two questions:

The Nations League games will likely be small crowds. If we draw Cyprus for example next month, and the game is a Wednesday night, then Easter Road or Tynecastle will be perfect for that rather than rattling around Hampden.

Yes. The Nations League is replacing friendlies.

1 hour ago, Aberdeen Cowden said:

Stewarty,of course pipelines never suffer cracking do they? Just asking.

There is a pipeline a few hundred metres behind my house. A helicopter flies the length of the pipeline every few days. Any ideas why that’s done? What a waste of money.

No idea min, perhaps you can explain, cos it's 100% not to inspect the pipeline.  Presumably that's a flight corridor?