Next Scotland captain?

Chimter-boys

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This. Both excellent players. Some folk here seem to think you have to love one and hate the other.

Definitely - Robertson probably ahead at the moment however Tierney is only 20, which is quite frankly ridiculous for how good he has been.

To be perfectly honest if he continues to get European experience for the next couple of years he doesn’t need to rush away from Celtic as he’s still so young. Hopefully move abroad at some stage though, as opposed to England.

15 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Definitely - Robertson probably ahead at the moment however Tierney is only 20, which is quite frankly ridiculous for how good he has been.

To be perfectly honest if he continues to get European experience for the next couple of years he doesn’t need to rush away from Celtic as he’s still so young. Hopefully move abroad at some stage though, as opposed to England.

European experience isn't enough it's half a dozen games a season.  He needs to be tested 45 times a season to fulfill his potential.

Nothing against Tierney in the slightest but if you have to choose a captain (and I don't think you do for internationals) then you need someone who is guaranteed a start. Robertson is the Scottish player playing consistently at the highest level for the biggest club so I can't imagine we're going to be shifting him from his position anytime soon.

I think Tierney is a class act and will go on to have a great career but realistically he's our 2nd choice left back, looked uncomfortable at RB (not his fault) and is relatively untested at CB. If we do decide to go for a back 3 and have Tierney in as the left sided CB with Robertson as wing back then I think he'll make a good captain. Probably a lot of pressure making him captain and then playing him at RB though. 

24 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

Nothing against Tierney in the slightest but if you have to choose a captain (and I don't think you do for internationals) then you need someone who is guaranteed a start. Robertson is the Scottish player playing consistently at the highest level for the biggest club so I can't imagine we're going to be shifting him from his position anytime soon.

I think Tierney is a class act and will go on to have a great career but realistically he's our 2nd choice left back, looked uncomfortable at RB (not his fault) and is relatively untested at CB. If we do decide to go for a back 3 and have Tierney in as the left sided CB with Robertson as wing back then I think he'll make a good captain. Probably a lot of pressure making him captain and then playing him at RB though. 

This is why I treat people on here's opinions with contempt.  This is such utter shit it's comical.  Tierney and Robertson are our two best players.  He is an absolute nailed on starter.  They're literally the first two names on the team sheet.

This is why I treat people on here's opinions with contempt.  This is such utter shit it's comical.  Tierney and Robertson are our two best players.  He is an absolute nailed on starter.  They're literally the first two names on the team sheet.

They are both nailed on starters as long as one of them doesn’t start at left back. If McLeish decides he only wants them to play at LB then one will miss out, most likely Tierney.

Personally I would play one in LB and the other on the left wing and tell them to mix up who attacks and defends.

Just now, Dindeleux said:

They are both nailed on starters as long as one of them doesn’t start at left back. If McLeish decides he only wants them to play at LB then one will miss out, most likely Tierney.

Personally I would play one in LB and the other on the left wing and tell them to mix up who attacks and defends.

No flies on you eh.  

24 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

You seem reasonable.

15 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Yeah, this is what I was getting at, Tierney playing in a defensive 3 or as you say a makeshift winger would work also. I just don't think we'll see Robertson shifted from LB anytime soon and if we have more natural options elsewhere Tierney will likely drop out.

35 minutes ago, Peppino Impastato said:

This is why I treat people on here's opinions with contempt. 

Really?  I thought it was because you were a cringe-worthy VL fantasist who thought that throwing out bizarre opinions and putting down others somehow made him interesting.  You learn something new every day.

27 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I'd probably agree with this.  It's not like we have some wonderful chalk-on-the-boots wingers that are markedly better options, so have a more withdrawn left side with both given the opportunity to roam forward, safe in the knowledge that there's a very good player behind them covering.  Only problem might be if we continue to play people who are absolutely desperate to cut inside on the right, as that would leave us pretty off-balance.

It's definitely worth a try.  Might be that it simply doesn't work, in which case it'll be the difficult decision as to whether just to sacrifice one, or play one in a more awkward position.  

31 minutes ago, ilostmyself said:

You seem reasonable.

Yeah, this is what I was getting at, Tierney playing in a defensive 3 or as you say a makeshift winger would work also. I just don't think we'll see Robertson shifted from LB anytime soon and if we have more natural options elsewhere Tierney will likely drop out.

But he won't though.  That's my point that's idiotic.  There's no chance Tierney drops out ever till he's about 35.

19 minutes ago, forameus said:

Really?  I thought it was because you were a cringe-worthy VL fantasist who thought that throwing out bizarre opinions and putting down others somehow made him interesting.  You learn something new every day.

I'd probably agree with this.  It's not like we have some wonderful chalk-on-the-boots wingers that are markedly better options, so have a more withdrawn left side with both given the opportunity to roam forward, safe in the knowledge that there's a very good player behind them covering.  Only problem might be if we continue to play people who are absolutely desperate to cut inside on the right, as that would leave us pretty off-balance.

It's definitely worth a try.  Might be that it simply doesn't work, in which case it'll be the difficult decision as to whether just to sacrifice one, or play one in a more awkward position.  

No it won't, once again you talk utter shite.  No manager on the planet would manage Scotland and even consider for a fraction of a second dropping Tierney or Robertson except to rotate them in a friendly.  It's not remotely possible.

54 minutes ago, forameus said:

Cheers, was going to waste my time replying but it all makes sense now. 

It would be madness to go into any game with a fully fit and on form Tierney sitting on the bench. Had we a stronger squad then maybe, but as has been pointed out already, Robertson and Tierney are a cut above most of what we have - certainly in the defensive half of the pitch. 

Archived