Stenny Vs Cowden

22 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Managed to high-tail it back from work just in time to make kick-off and I wished I hadn't bothered. That was a very shitebag performance for Stenhousemuir and we didn't deserve to take anything from it. Fair play to Cowdenbeath - I didn't think all that much of them, being honest, but they were right up for a fight and scored a lovely goal to win the contest. In Bryan Gilfillan and Jamie Pyper they had the two best players on the park, two players who won everything thrown at them and organised and pushed their team-mates around. Their time-wasting tactics were frustrating - and you can't blame them for running down the clock 30 minutes into the game - the referee did nothing to curb it. David McGurn was at it for the best part of the match but the referee didn't speak to him once. But what does it matter when we didn't have anyone who matched their dig and determination? It's probably come a bit too late for them but if they show the same spirit between now and the end of term and they might just have a chance.

Stenhousemuir just weren't up for it. How on earth can you beat Peterhead away from home one week and lose to the worst team in Scotland the next? They sleepwalked their way through the first half and by the time they finally roused themselves, they were two goals down. If Colin McMenamin had scored immediately after the interval, we might have gone on to win it, but he didn't. Other than McMenamin's effort and Jamie Longworth's well-taken consolation, their whole gameplan amounted to nothing more than pumping it long; it didn't work once. Every ball met the head of Pyper or Gilfillan (and latterly Scott Rumsby) while Cowden mopped up any seconds. Nothing went our way, but you make your own luck, and Cowden just wanted it more than us. Players like Alan Cook and Nicki Paterson typified this evening's performance and both players were anonymous. That said - Harry Paton was generally excellent and did his best to drive the team on, despite the opposition's best attempts to take him out of the game.

I'm worried about our current form. Clyde are a handful of points behind us and there is a very real chance they can overtake us and beat us to the final play-off place. Our run in is supposedly easier but we will really need to give ourselves a shake - we approached tonight's game with the wrong attitude and it cost us. The pressure really is on Bomber now.

Good comments, Craig. There is a bit a steel in this Cowden team - they are up for the fight. Full marks to Gary Bollan and Mark Fotheringham. It's probably just too late to pip Berwick, but with this spirit and passion we could go into the play-offs with a bit of momentum.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good comments, Craig. There is a bit a steel in this Cowden team - they are up for the fight. Full marks to Gary Bollan and Mark Fotheringham. It's probably just too late to pip Berwick, but with this spirit and passion we could go into the play-offs with a bit of momentum.

I always smile at the "time wasting tactics" comments. I don't understand why anyone remarks on it or complains loudly about it at a match. their team do it when it is in their interests and the opposition do it when it favours them. It's not as if some teams in the SPFL are paragons and never ever indulge in this practice. Tonight wasn't even all that bad as regards time wasting.

4 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I always smile at the "time wasting tactics" comments. I don't understand why anyone remarks on it or complains loudly about it at a match. their team do it when it is in their interests and the opposition do it when it favours them. It's not as if some teams in the SPFL are paragons and never ever indulge in this practice. Tonight wasn't even all that bad as regards time wasting.

Spot on

its a big part of the game, slowing things down at the right times.

Even the Stenny players were kicking the ball away at times! Barely a brain cell between a few of them.

We were excellent first half and understandably sat in 2nd half as Stenny threw everything at us. The number 10 was the best player on the park by a country mile, possibly the best I've seen against us the last couple of seasons. However it wasn't until Gilfillan went off that they looked like scoring - which is exactly what happened and yet again, through shocking play from Kyle Miller. That said, all the players put a shift in and deserve the plaudits.

Would take a point right now at Forthbank on Saturday but confidence has evidently talen a jump. We look like a competent league 2 team now.

17 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

You've missed my point, "Cowden Cowboy" - I fully understood why your side did their best to waste time, and if Stenny were in similar circumstances, I'd encourage them to do the same - I was more annoyed by the fact the referee did nothing to stop it. David McGurn was terrible for time wasting tonight, holding onto the ball far longer than what's deemed appropriate, but the referee never once spoke to him.

You've missed my point, "Cowden Cowboy" - I fully understood why your side did their best to waste time, and if Stenny were in similar circumstances, I'd encourage them to do the same - I was more annoyed by the fact the referee did nothing to stop it. David McGurn was terrible for time wasting tonight, holding onto the ball far longer than what's deemed appropriate, but the referee never once spoke to him.

A Cowden player was booked for kicking the ball away, the ref added on a fair bit of extra time. McGurn was nowhere near as bad as some keepers you see - who miss the ball when a ball boy kicks it back and always take goal kicks at the opposite side from the one which the ball went out.

We actually didn't do too much time wasting. That wasn't a game with much time wasting in it. Mullen was harshly booked for it and the Stenny keeper then wasted far more time trying to take the resultant kick further forward than it should have been.

I would not be worried if I was a Stenny fan. Elgin certainly aren't going to catch you and I doubt Clyde will either. Hence, please lose to us again in a few weeks.

2 hours ago, Kierkegaard said:

I don't think it is Berwick we are chasing now. It has to be Edinburgh based on the remaining fixtures.

We have 5 home and 3 away. Berwick have 6 home and 3 away (5 of next 6 at home). Edinburgh, having played a game more than us, have 2 home and 5 away. We win our game in hand and we are 7 points behind Edinburgh, who play each of the top 6 teams plus Berwick in their remaining matches.

We just have to take it one game at a time. Everyone playing better and we are finally converting our chances.

Sheerin excellent again.

Clyde look like the mob that will finish 4th now. Absolutely flying and our inconsistency is going to cost us. You can't go up to Peterhead and boss them then go and get beat off dung like this at home.

This team doesn't have the mentality to achieve anything this season let's just stop kidding ourselves on.

Big win for Cowden keeps them breathing for the time being. Will still go down but Bollan has at least added some fight into the team from the outside looking in.

That first half was an absolute disgrace but again showed up that we do not half a plan B. Too many players anonymous or lacking in desire.

What really hacked me off is we are 2down at half time and our manager strolls off the park looking like he does not have a care in the world. Time he had a long hard look at his team selection and tactics. You cannot go up and beat Peterhead then produce this piss and it is not an isolated game where we have been very poor. At least 2players should have been canned at half time.

We will be missing Paton on Saturday, god help us.

Cowdenbeath desired the win more but your time wasting tactics while understandable were poor but the ref did very little about it. When 2 players feign injury it is really poor.

6 hours ago, Neilly said:

Clyde look like the mob that will finish 4th now. Absolutely flying and our inconsistency is going to cost us. You can't go up to Peterhead and boss them then go and get beat off dung like this at home.

This team doesn't have the mentality to achieve anything this season let's just stop kidding ourselves on.

Big win for Cowden keeps them breathing for the time being. Will still go down but Bollan has at least added some fight into the team from the outside looking in.

You havent beaten this "dung" in last 2 games against us.  Just to add I dont see Stenny having any problem what so ever finishing in the play offs.

Really happy last night with the application and hard work of the players. The organisation and you can see that little bit of confidence growning in each game. We had pace around sheerin which is half the battle. Sheerin bull dozed his way through the game and his general hold up play was excellent. Unlucky with a shot off the bar.

Gilfillan was our MOTM by a country mile and when he went off you could see more errors occuring.I hope he is not injured for next few games!

Stenny played as I thought. Bombard you with long balls or diagonals and when they do play through the lad paton they are dangerous also. Strong and physical team and are only 1 or 2 players short of being a league winning side (next year i mean). The boy paton is the best player I have seen in the league by a distance.

Well done to the lads who worked so so hard last night that was not easy to defend against as you have to be organised and switched on mentally to pick up all those 2nd balls and to close down etc we done really well. Brad Smith had his best game for us last night and you can see him growing into a better player already.

One or 2 injuries though and we could be back to being easy to play against. E.g gilfillan or sheerin injuries and we are struggling. Wee bit of luck on that front would be great.

As for time wasting I didnt see anything excessive. Mcgurn held the ball for over his alloted time but almost every single gk does the same fact. The ref blowing for a foul a good 10 seconds after the foul and when brad smith had actually taken his shot and hit the post was terrible refereeing btw.

mone the cowden.

Don’t understand Stenny bricking it from us as they play Elgin on Saturday who are actually closer to them. If their players are starting to get nerves & wobble then let’s hope it continues. Football is a funny old game. 

I’m quite concerned by Cowden’s recent up turn in form. They were hopeless against us in our last match with them but I always dread going to their ground. Last season we were beaten both times i’m sure. 

Many twists & turns to come before 5pm on 28th April. 

1 minute ago, BroadwoodBoy said:

Don’t understand Stenny bricking it from us as they play Elgin on Saturday who are actually closer to them. If their players are starting to get nerves & wobble then let’s hope it continues. Football is a funny old game. 

I’m quite concerned by Cowden’s recent up turn in form. They were hopeless against us in our last match with them but I always dread going to their ground. Last season we were beaten both times i’m sure. 

Many twists & turns to come before 5pm on 28th April. 

Correct - last season we won both matches 1-0 and have won the last 4 league games at Central.   As far as I can see Clyde haven't won at Central Park since 8th Jan 2000 when they beat us 3-2 in the Scottish Cup.  League wise?  You have to go back to 81/82 :lol: 

3 hours ago, NELLY said:

Really happy last night with the application and hard work of the players. The organisation and you can see that little bit of confidence growning in each game. We had pace around sheerin which is half the battle. Sheerin bull dozed his way through the game and his general hold up play was excellent. Unlucky with a shot off the bar.

Gilfillan was our MOTM by a country mile and when he went off you could see more errors occuring.I hope he is not injured for next few games!

Stenny played as I thought. Bombard you with long balls or diagonals and when they do play through the lad paton they are dangerous also. Strong and physical team and are only 1 or 2 players short of being a league winning side (next year i mean). The boy paton is the best player I have seen in the league by a distance.

Well done to the lads who worked so so hard last night that was not easy to defend against as you have to be organised and switched on mentally to pick up all those 2nd balls and to close down etc we done really well. Brad Smith had his best game for us last night and you can see him growing into a better player already.

One or 2 injuries though and we could be back to being easy to play against. E.g gilfillan or sheerin injuries and we are struggling. Wee bit of luck on that front would be great.

As for time wasting I didnt see anything excessive. Mcgurn held the ball for over his alloted time but almost every single gk does the same fact. The ref blowing for a foul a good 10 seconds after the foul and when brad smith had actually taken his shot and hit the post was terrible refereeing btw.

mone the cowden.

Agree.

Reilly also looked rapid when he came on. He should be on more than ten minutes. I would still go more attacking than we do at the moment.

took the trip to Ochilview last night...in heavy disguise......to watch the team in action after their good performance at Peterhead.

have to say the first half was not their best and to lose 2 goals in that manner against the bottom club Cowdenbeath was disappointing.

consolation goal came to late and you have to wonder if Stenny will make the play-offs.

Still their are games in hand and hopefully they can claw back points to maintain a top 4 place.

Archived