Clyde v Elgin.

Fitness and quality told the teams apart tonight. And that's why Peterhead was such a disappointment: we've got three or four guys in our squad who'll roast heavy-legged, part-time players on a weeknight. We should win these games comfortably.

First-half: way too easy for Elgin to play into our half, with only Goodie occupying their defenders. On a Saturday, the possession they enjoyed would probably have translated into a goal or two. But as it was, our defence done a great job of staving off the diminished but still-present Elgin threat. I really, really enjoyed how well oiled a machine the back-four was tonight. Individually and collectively, great performances. Full-backs looking like full-backs, centre-backs looking like centre-backs. Hats off to them all. Particularly McNiff who saved our bacon with a great block later in the match. Hardly lost a header at the back tonight. That's what you need for a clean-sheet. Brilliant, brilliant base to build on. Lang and Home could have very difficult times regaining their places. Let's see how that four holds-up at Annan, again a side that aren't knackered. If it plays as it did tonight, that's our back four. No reason whatever to change it.

Second-half Lennon calculated very well. I said I'd make subs if after 65' we weren't ahead but Goodwillie broke free to land a great header five minutes prior. At that point, given Elgin's legs, there was no need to change things. Boyle was being primed to replace Martin - eminently sensible sub - prior to 1-0 and was a worthwhile swap anyway as he (Martin) looked tired from go and was quite ineffective. Why we didn't start Boyle, I don't know. You've got to think we'd have scored more with his skill and fresh legs.

Game played out with us barely threatened, enjoying good possession strung together by McStay, Boyle, Grant, Goodwillie and Lamont. No nerves at all really.

Can't be angry about Kipre remaining in the shadows. I would've put two up if we hadn't scored when we had because we weren't getting great value from the five in midfield, but we did score, and that changed everything.

Standside linesman? Chuck it.

MOTM: David Goodwillie.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think I'm probably in a minority of two, but I thought Goodwillie was offside. 

First half looked like two tired teams. We struggled to press as well as we have been, or counter as quickly. Still could easily have scored though, with McStay sending a close range header straight at the 'keeper and Lamont firing over the bar. Elgin kept the ball without doing anything with it at all; their strikers didn't have a sniff all game. Decent free-kick from McGovern saved by Currie, another curling shot also kept out. Fair play to our defence as they stood up to Elgin and kept us level when the rest of the team was a bit off the pace.

Second half Elgin had a half chance (the only time I felt they might score) but McNiff made a superb block. After that, McStay upped his game and we started to dominate. Bit of a soft free-kick for the goal but good header from Goodwillie. The great thing was that we totally dominated after that, countered at will, and Elgin didn't even come close to scoring. Only disappointment is that we didn't manage to get a second goal. The difference in energy between the sides in those closing stages was ridiculous.

Currie did what he had to do well, distribution superb as usual. Duffie, although he didn't again have a direct opponent, played really well, some great aggressive headers. Cogill, if you take a 2 minute spell out of the game, was absolutely fine. McNiff was my MotM as he was great both halves, made a crucial block at 0-0. Stewart and Cuddihy both did their jobs, as they always do. We won't lose anything down that side if we keep that pairing, whilst Cuddihy contributes enough on the ball.

Grant needs just a wee bit more Kevin Nicoll about him but he was always available to move the ball on and reads the game well. Just a bit more crunch when he gets there, as he lost 3/4 50-50s that he should have been winning. McStay I thought had a quiet first half (not really involved rather than him giving it away or anything) but just got better as the game went on. An absolutely complete midfielder (he can literally do anything) who is playing well below his level; I think he stands out as much as Goodwillie. Lamont probably second for my MotM points, thought he was involved in a lot of the good stuff we did and was the guy who really upped the energy in midfield as the game went on. Martin had a tough shift against two big lads in McHardy/Allan and whilst he worked hard, there was an obvious difference when Boyle came on; another player on the same wavelength as McStay, Goodwillie, Lamont. Not sure I'd start him on the tighter pitch at Annan.

Goodwillie played against three centre halves himself and bettered them by himself. Only disappointment was that he scored, meaning we need to wait longer to see Kipre :bairn

We played some decent football, deserved to win, and a few of the less glamorous players stood up and were counted, meaning the class could tell eventually. Great management team that we have now. Guy in front of me was an interested neutral and thought it was a more than decent watch.

Referee I thought was decent, think he's a newer one. He was the ref up at Keith and had a great game that day. The bit at the end when he let the clown linesman give a decision then over-ruled him was hilarious. Didn't think he could give the penalty for handball as he was the other side (I didn't see it myself).

21 minutes ago, David W said:

I think I'm probably in a minority of two, but I thought Goodwillie was offside. 

First half looked like two tired teams. We struggled to press as well as we have been, or counter as quickly. Still could easily have scored though, with McStay sending a close range header straight at the 'keeper and Lamont firing over the bar. Elgin kept the ball without doing anything with it at all; their strikers didn't have a sniff all game. Decent free-kick from McGovern saved by Currie, another curling shot also kept out. Fair play to our defence as they stood up to Elgin and kept us level when the rest of the team was a bit off the pace.

Second half Elgin had a half chance (the only time I felt they might score) but McNiff made a superb block. After that, McStay upped his game and we started to dominate. Bit of a soft free-kick for the goal but good header from Goodwillie. The great thing was that we totally dominated after that, countered at will, and Elgin didn't even come close to scoring. Only disappointment is that we didn't manage to get a second goal. The difference in energy between the sides in those closing stages was ridiculous.

Currie did what he had to do well, distribution superb as usual. Duffie, although he didn't again have a direct opponent, played really well, some great aggressive headers. Cogill, if you take a 2 minute spell out of the game, was absolutely fine. McNiff was my MotM as he was great both halves, made a crucial block at 0-0. Stewart and Cuddihy both did their jobs, as they always do. We won't lose anything down that side if we keep that pairing, whilst Cuddihy contributes enough on the ball.

Grant needs just a wee bit more Kevin Nicoll about him but he was always available to move the ball on and reads the game well. Just a bit more crunch when he gets there, as he lost 3/4 50-50s that he should have been winning. McStay I thought had a quiet first half (not really involved rather than him giving it away or anything) but just got better as the game went on. An absolutely complete midfielder (he can literally do anything) who is playing well below his level; I think he stands out as much as Goodwillie. Lamont probably second for my MotM points, thought he was involved in a lot of the good stuff we did and was the guy who really upped the energy in midfield as the game went on. Martin had a tough shift against two big lads in McHardy/Allan and whilst he worked hard, there was an obvious difference when Boyle came on; another player on the same wavelength as McStay, Goodwillie, Lamont. Not sure I'd start him on the tighter pitch at Annan.

Goodwillie played against three centre halves himself and bettered them by himself. Only disappointment was that he scored, meaning we need to wait longer to see Kipre :bairn

We played some decent football, deserved to win, and a few of the less glamorous players stood up and were counted, meaning the class could tell eventually. Great management team that we have now. Guy in front of me was an interested neutral and thought it was a more than decent watch.

Referee I thought was decent, think he's a newer one. He was the ref up at Keith and had a great game that day. The bit at the end when he let the clown linesman give a decision then over-ruled him was hilarious. Didn't think he could give the penalty for handball as he was the other side (I didn't see it myself).

It was never a Free kick that led to goal , watch the highlights !

Agreed - never a free kick. Ref gave far too many for players just falling down.
I thought Clyde's defence were poor, and if we had any sort of attacking threat, which we don't, we'd have scored a few. That has been the problem all year though.
I suspect if Clyde didn't have Goodwillie they would be several places lower.
All in all a decent enough watch, but very little skill on show.

Good highlights. On reflection very close game but felt in 1st half we stood off them far too much when they were playing it from the back,Several times their centre halfs would remain unchallenged for 15/20yards in possesion which clearly was a tactic by Lennon/Moore per audio regards a few players asked to do a different job for team.....

DGW and McStay streets above this level but the turn around in McNiff and Currie even more impressive which is also a testment to management team in dug out...

Great three points and shame only 9/10 games to go but wasnt suprised with stenny result after there last 20mins on sat & reading on there game thread it sounded well deserved....

Finally how they got away the handball in the box 2nd half i.ll never know then for the saggy arsed stand linesman to give offside on DGW few mins later or to give a throw in to elgin in last few nins when everyone in north lanarkshire could see it wasnt was shockingly bad and could have cost us in the end..

Foreva n eva

Finally how they got away the handball in 2nd half i.ll never know

Probably because it wasn't a foul. The ball came up and hit his hand, there was no movement of the hand to the ball and the arm/hand wasn't in an "un-natural" position...pretty much covered in the rules of the game.

58 minutes ago, Am Muilleach said:

Probably because it wasn't a foul. The ball came up and hit his hand, there was no movement of the hand to the ball and the arm/hand wasn't in an "un-natural" position...pretty much covered in the rules of the game.

Firstly - massive credit to you for making the journey.

Unfortunately the rest of your posts stink of sour grapes. Best team won on the night

3 hours ago, Am Muilleach said:

Agreed, not a penalty but the tackle inside the box clearly a foul and a penalty. Pretty decent game overall. Noticed the linesman running up the tunnel as soon as the final whistle went, think he knew he was going to get a few stern words or perhaps he was just bursting for a sh1te.

5 hours ago, AgentDaleCooper said:

Firstly - massive credit to you for making the journey.

Unfortunately the rest of your posts stink of sour grapes. Best team won on the night

Absolutely not sour grapes - sorry if it comes across as such.  Just saying it as I saw it.

Probably correct with the "best team won on the night" but still two poor teams with one stand out player.

Agree about Lamont, wondered why Lennon decided to extend his loan but think he's been really good in all the games I've seen, chipped in with a few assists along the way as well. Tidy wee player and would happily have him back. 

Chapman obviously fancied him more as a winger, and in his first start he was genuinely awful (think it was Edinburgh 2-3 game). Remember though that Lennon didn't even put him in the team for a couple of  months, even after a couple of decent sub appearances. He's been great since put into that central role, it's almost like Lennon/Moore decided we were suddenly going to go down the high energy route and he fits into that superbly. Exactly the sort of player with a bit of surprise and movement that can break a deep defence down (e.g. Cowden). He needs to improve his knowledge of when to press and when to stand off but I suppose that's why he's on loan?

As much as anything, he's exciting to watch.

Archived