Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

Pads rode their luck a little bit in the early going, but eke out a win in Dodger Stadium. Game ending, post-season clinching Triple Play in the bottom of the 9th 😎

2 back of LAD with 5 to play, Pads already have the H2H so a tie on record gives the NL West to SD. 2nd Seed is still on, with an outside chance of 1st if the Phillies collapse.

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Season looks over now. Astros clinch the division and we are now 2.5 games back with only 4 games left to play 

Aye, I said that we would need to win all three in Houston, and it looks like that was right. Unfortunately the late season form came just too late. A horrendous July and August - which I have seen so many times - has cost us. 

Can hopefully keep the pitching rotation in the off season, and a couple of quality pick ups should see a challenge next year. I can live in hope. 

On 17/09/2024 at 16:46, arab_joe said:

Our whole team is on its holidays, likely planning their next moves (Snell has seriously upped his game of late and is going to get paid by someone this off-season... quite possibly the Padres if they can find room for him) and who can really blame them.  We seem to be treating the final few weeks of this season as a means of getting a proper look at some of our fringe players - but thus far I'm not convinced that any of them have a bright future at the big league level...

Since my insightful post 8 days ago, we have gone gone 7-1 on the road... including a 10-0 win over the Orioles, a 9-0 win over the Royals, an 11-0 win over the Diamondbacks and have had our first 5-win stretch of the season.  Such an odd team.  

Blake Snell has confirmed that he is opting out - he is about to get paid.  In past couple of years we have had Kevin Gausman go (5 years $110m), Carlos Rodon go (6 years $162m) and now Blake Snell... 

I'd have Snell back in SD because I think it's inevitable Dylan Cease will test the market and end up elsewhere.

Wouldn't be averse to us signing Perez beyond this season as well, because we've lacked a viable 5th SP for eons and I'm tired of AAA call-ups having their arm fall off or entire seasons of Bullpen games a la 2022.

3 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Since my insightful post 8 days ago, we have gone gone 7-1 on the road... including a 10-0 win over the Orioles, a 9-0 win over the Royals, an 11-0 win over the Diamondbacks and have had our first 5-win stretch of the season.  Such an odd team.  

Blake Snell has confirmed that he is opting out - he is about to get paid.  In past couple of years we have had Kevin Gausman go (5 years $110m), Carlos Rodon go (6 years $162m) and now Blake Snell... 

He’s a much better pitcher than those two.  I think the Giants should have gone for Gausman, but will not regret Rodon at all.  So I’m fine either way with Snell. If they can get him to agree to a five year deal, I’m all in, but he’s going to be looking for a 6th or 7th year.  

edit: if he’d only had been fit the first half of the year, he’d be a Cy Young shoo in.   He’s so much better than I realised, and seems like a good clubhouse guy too.  His interview with Kruk and Kuip was hilarious. 

Edited by Savage Henry

43 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Astros thumped 8-1 to keep our slim hopes alive. 

Kirby impressive again and Julio with another HR to secure a 20/20 season 

20/20 in each of his first three Major League seasons. Only second to ever do it.

A slim hope is still a hope. Go 3-0 at home to.Oakland and there's a chance of sneaking in.