Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

4 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Looking forward to seeing Woo on the mound tonight. Don't watch a lot of the lesser American League, so it's nice to get a chance to see a few of the better players. Obviously goes without saying I hope he has a horror outing, but still interested to see what he's got/what he's about as a pitcher.

Fantastic effort from Woo. Pads really need to get some of their mojo back, because the past 10 days or so has been distinctly "meh".

Watched the highlights. He looked sensational. Far and away my favourite current Mariner. Feel free to join the club along with myself and @Craig fae the Vale

3.5 games back of Houston now. 4 games back of the wildcard 

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Watched the highlights. He looked sensational. Far and away my favourite current Mariner. Feel free to join the club along with myself and @Craig fae the Vale

3.5 games back of Houston now. 4 games back of the wildcard 

After almost completely writing off the season a couple weeks ago, if the level of form can be kept up for the last few weeks, we could sneak into the playoffs. I hope for the pitching staff's sake that it can be done. Woo, Kirby, Castillo, Miller all deserve a crack at the playoffs.

On 12/09/2024 at 09:05, Craig fae the Vale said:

After almost completely writing off the season a couple weeks ago, if the level of form can be kept up for the last few weeks, we could sneak into the playoffs. I hope for the pitching staff's sake that it can be done. Woo, Kirby, Castillo, Miller all deserve a crack at the playoffs.

And then we completely implode and throw away a commanding lead to lose to Texas. f**k my life! 

Epic choke job by the Brewers in Arizona.

8-8 in Extras, Snakes decide to walk Truang to put two on, Churio immediately lasers a Triple down the right field line to give the Brewers a 10-8 lead going into the bottom of the 10th

Brewers pitching shits the bed, Snakes tie it 10-10 with a heap of singles, Brewers load the bases without recording a single out, ball gets hammered to the RF wall...

Ooft.

Brewers were 8-3 ahead in the 7th inning stretch as well 😯

Edited by Boo Khaki

7 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Giants just scored their first run in 34 innings 

The run of 3 games without scoring a run was the first such run since 1992. 

Hard to fully understand what is going on with the Giants, right now... the signings of Matt Chapman, Jorge Soler, Blake Snell, Robbie Ray etc. in the off-season made me pretty hopeful that we would make a real run at the playoffs - but this has been worse than any season in recent memory.  We are closer to the Rockies than we are to the Dodgers.

Our once all-star Camilo Duval has the yips, we are so bad at stealing bases that we don't even try anymore (De La Cruz alone has 64 steals - as an organisation we have 63 in total...), and some of the fielding is so bad it looks like a comedy skit.

I think there are a lot of Bob Melvin things going on. He was awful in that series. Just standing passively watching his team look flat as a pancake and doing nothing to help them. The usual stupid challenges as well.

That Giants team looked a lot like last year's Padres. Flat, insipid, lifeless. I honestly thought Melvin would be great for the Pads when we announced him and 2022 was cool, but he burned all the good will he built up with how utterly "meh" the Pads were last season, and it took a players meeting where they kicked each other up the ass to actually spark them into life in September.

I think had Melvin been managing in SD this year we'd be hovering around .500 again. The vibe and culture seems totally different with him gone, and its not passed unremarked.

Oh, and just to emphasise the point; the Padres also had (iirc) a 29 inning scoreless streak last year, and were notorious for scoring a splurge of runs in one game then doing nothing at all offensively for the rest of the week. Just consistently inconsistent.

Seems inconceivable that the 2023 Pads had Darvish, Musgrove, and Snell as the top end of the rotation, and got career years from Wacha and (until that point) Lugo, yet didn't make the playoffs, but it happened. They also had a full year of Juan Soto, Manny heathly for most of it, and yet couldn't generate consistent offense. Something they've done this season despite dumping $90million from the payroll in the offseason.

Edited by Boo Khaki

7-0 win over Texas with a sublime pitching display from George Kirby. 2.5 games back in the wildcard race (4.5 back in the division) but 3 MASSIVE games coming up against the Yankees. Then it’s Texas, Houston and Oakland to finish. 

@arab_joe

Interesting take here. The opposite of what the gen was when the Pads seemingly didn't care about SF poaching Melvin -

https://friarsonbase.com/posts/it-turns-out-aj-preller-might-ve-not-been-the-problem-with-bob-melvin-padres-rift-01j7k89ywn1z

The reason I think this is interesting is because having watched Melvin up close over 330+ games in SD, he always struck me as extremely passive to the point whereby he was almost "deer in the headlights". He looked the same again over the weekend, so perhaps "having too much autonomy, and having no idea what to do with it" does actually make sense.

Aside from the really inconsistent results, my abiding memory of the 2023 Pads will be watching players on a team that hadn't scored a run in days, continuously watch 0-0 and 1-0 fastballs over the middle of the plate just sail by without ever showing any intent whatsoever of swinging at them. Some Pads fans have suggested that Melvin's preoccupation with analytics means that he decides every aspect of approach before the game itself, and never deviates from it regardless of what's actually happening out on the field. Now I'm a relative Baseball noob, but it seems to me that if you are a team that is perpetually struggling to score runs, shite with RISP, and have poor Slug, the last thing you should be doing is being even more timid with the bat and refusing to swing at stuff that is straight down the pipe. But that was clearly the approach of the 2023 Pads, and it was a season-long thing despite the same weaknesses like RISP problems also being season-long.

Edited by Boo Khaki

I'll take 2-1 in the series, because it's 3x White Sox to follow, and I think 5-1 over that span might just get us within "sweep the Dodgers and suddenly winning the West is on" territory.

A lot of big, big asks there, and I honestly can't see it because the Dodgers finish up with the Braves tonight and after that they have 3x Marlins, 3x Pads, and 6x Rockies, but Pads already have the tiebreaker over the Dodgers and I have a sneaking suspicion that should their lead be wiped out entirely their bottle will crash completely. Seen it before with LAD, and the Pads certainly seem to have their number just now.

There was a point earlier in the year where the Dodgers lead was 9.5 or 10, so it's indisputable that since that point the Pads have been the slightly the better of the two teams. LA is flashy, with Ohtani and all that, but payroll and HR numbers mean jack shit compared to flat W/L

Edited by Boo Khaki

On 16/09/2024 at 09:57, Boo Khaki said:

I think there are a lot of Bob Melvin things going on. He was awful in that series. Just standing passively watching his team look flat as a pancake and doing nothing to help them. The usual stupid challenges as well.

The misuse of challenges by the Giants is almost as inexcusable as our refusal to try to steal bases and our complete inability to catch fly balls (granted the stadium is in a windy part of the world, but it seems only to impact the home team). 

Another really odd thing is that we seem to let bad calls affect us way more than any other team - I've gone about it before, but the first base umpire physically stopping a Brett Wisely double in a game against the (absolutely terrible) Rockies cost us two wins.  We absolutely folded, losing that game from a 3-0 lead and then collapsed the next day - seemed like we just couldn't get past the "injustice".  And a similar thing happened the other day when Tyler Fitzgerald was wrongly penalised for obstruction on a runner into 2nd base against the (absolutely terrible) Marlins - we lost that game, then lost the next day too. 

17 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

@arab_joe

Interesting take here. The opposite of what the gen was when the Pads seemingly didn't care about SF poaching Melvin -

https://friarsonbase.com/posts/it-turns-out-aj-preller-might-ve-not-been-the-problem-with-bob-melvin-padres-rift-01j7k89ywn1z

I'm not sure if there is a league table anywhere showing it, but the Giants must be up there with the worst in the MLB for converting with runners on base.

Our whole team is on its holidays, likely planning their next moves (Snell has seriously upped his game of late and is going to get paid by someone this off-season... quite possibly the Padres if they can find room for him) and who can really blame them.  We seem to be treating the final few weeks of this season as a means of getting a proper look at some of our fringe players - but thus far I'm not convinced that any of them have a bright future at the big league level...

14 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I honestly can't see it because the Dodgers finish up with the Braves tonight and after that they have 3x Marlins, 3x Pads, and 6x Rockies, but Pads already have the tiebreaker over the Dodgers and I have a sneaking suspicion that should their lead be wiped out entirely their bottle will crash completely.

We live in hope...

5 hours ago, arab_joe said:

Another really odd thing is that we seem to let bad calls affect us way more than any other team - I've gone about it before, but the first base umpire physically stopping a Brett Wisely double in a game against the (absolutely terrible) Rockies cost us two wins.  We absolutely folded, losing that game from a 3-0 lead and then collapsed the next day - seemed like we just couldn't get past the "injustice".  And a similar thing happened the other day when Tyler Fitzgerald was wrongly penalised for obstruction on a runner into 2nd base against the (absolutely terrible) Marlins - we lost that game, then lost the next day too. 

This was a feature of the 2023 Pads as well. 

They'd get an egregiously bad call that ended an inning or something, and the life would just go out of the team completely. Every at bat from that point out would be a surrender, and if someone did get on base, Manny would come up and immediately hit a weak grounder into a double-play.

I genuinely don't believe in curses or anything of that nature, but it was really eerie how frequently and consistently it would happen. I do believe in "vibe" and energy, and this year's Pads team is the polar opposite of last year. There have been multiple games, especially since the ASB, where the Pads go down late or give up a run in the 9th to go to extras, and they invariably come back or pick themselves up to win. The difference between '23 and '24's Extra Innings numbers and low scoring games tells it's own story. At one point last season we were 0-12 in Extra Innings games, yet it's the opposite this year. The heads just don't go down, and the more they are challenged the more they seem to rise to it.

I was sceptical of Shildt getting the gig, but depending how the remainder of the season plays out, I think he has to be a candidate for Manager of the Year. Even the most optimistic Pads fans had us as barely scraping above .500