Major League Baseball

jimmy boo

41 minutes ago, arab_joe said:

I hate to think what that was like to watch as a Padres fan - I only support them when they're playing the Dodgers and even I am still absolutely gutted.  After such a promising start to the series and the Dodgers looking pretty poor at times (Mookie Betts must be one of the worst post-season players - relative to his regular season performances - in recent memory), that was an incredible collapse - 24 scoreless innings with the Padres' offence is unbelievable.  Even then, if only you'd walked (the genuinely superhuman) Ohtani a couple more times, I think that series was yours.

Worst of all, it seems to have really spurred on the Dodgers - I have a horrible feeling they are going to make quick work of the Mets.  

This is an absolute certainty - just need the Yankees to win.  There is nobody less likeable in North American sports than the Dodgers.

Obviously it was a huge problem that all the bats suddenly went cold at more or less the exact same point, but there were a few egregious offenders. Manny watching meatballs but then swinging at any breaking stuff off the plate has been a theme for a while, and credit to the Dodgers bullpen, they'd obviously seen a few things and gone in with very specific plans for each at bat.

What I don't think has really been mentioned is the Joe Musgrove injury really had a deflating effect on the team. It's twofold. They were clearly really upset with what happened to him because he's an SD native and really the heart and soul of the team, but also, he would have been the fully rested starter in that Game 4, and a fired up in the groove Musgrove doesn't give up those early runs Cease did. I think that failed Cease short-rest start really took any remaining wind out of the sails, and from then on it was one-way traffic. I know this sounds overly sentimental, but I think if JM starts Game 4 and goes 6 or 7 the Pads win that series 3-1 and don't have to go back to LA for Game 5

Edited by Boo Khaki