Airdrie vs Ayr Utd

McCall says in the interview that supposedly it was offside? That it doesn't matter if it comes off the defender if it's accidental?

I love his comment at the start. "It was a great game and both teams played their part"..."I couldn't care less about airdrie" [emoji2]

Don’t think McCall had any idea either.

I have literally no idea how an opposing player can play a ball through “accidentally” and you can be offside from it. That makes no remote sense whatsoever. In other words you can be offside from an opposing player playing you through?

• Replies 451
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another result, ground out under difficult circumstances (injuries, suspension of a key player, sickness among starting line-up and opposition who are always a tough bunch) so well done to the players yet again. Definitely a togetherness in this squad (we've fallen behind away from home against Arbroath,  Albion Rovers, East Fife and Airdrie in recent weeksbut we've still managed to take something from all four games - the mark of champions surely). I was pleased to see young Hart survive a difficult 90 minutes - he was under pressure for sure and got through it - he'll be a better player for the experience (credit too to McCall for playing him when many, including me, wouldn't have). My MoM was Bell, closely followed by Kerr but they are all heroes to be fair. Great support who got their rewards too.

Onwards to Saturday and Stranraer at home - another win and the winning line is in full sight.

Don’t think McCall had any idea either.

I have literally no idea how an opposing player can play a ball through “accidentally” and you can be offside from it. That makes no remote sense whatsoever. In other words you can be offside from an opposing player playing you through?

If it hits off a defender accidently then it can still be offside, and that's what happened.

I think we all owe that wee p***k of a linesman an apology.

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

If it hits off a defender accidently then it can be offside, and that's what happened.

When the original shot is played, Moore is in line so is onside. Moore is then technically in an offside position when the balk cannons off the Airdrie player, but he can’t (well shouldn’t) be ruled offside because when the final touch from the Ayr player is made he’s onside and he can’t be offside from a pass/touch from an Airdrie player. The only defence the linesman can have is he thinks the ball cannons off Shankland and Moore would then have been offside. However this wasn’t the case, it was the Airdrie player.

When the original shot is played, Moore is in line so is onside. Moore is then technically in an offside position when the balk cannons off the Airdrie player, but he can’t (well shouldn’t) be ruled offside because when the final touch from the Ayr player is made he’s onside and he can’t be offside from a pass/touch from an Airdrie player. The only defence the linesman can have is he thinks the ball cannons off Shankland and Moore would then have been offside. However this wasn’t the case, it was the Airdrie player.

But surely the accidental touch from their player counts as a touch from our player (because it was accidental).

I don't know the rule but that's what it sounded like. I don't think it has anything to do with the original pass.

25 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

If it hits off a defender accidently then it can still be offside, and that's what happened.

I still don't get it, as the original shot was saved by the goalkeeper then it hit the defender on the way back out.   If that's offside? there must be loads of offside goals given every week.

I still don't get it, as the original shot was saved by the goalkeeper then it hit the defender on the way back out.   If that's offside? there must be loads of offside goals given every week.
I don't know either, but that's what was suggested to McCall.

I thought if he was off from the original ball then that would be it. Surely there wasn't another phase of play so it can't be that.

7 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

I don't know either, but that's what was suggested to McCall.

I thought if he was off from the original ball then that would be it. Surely there wasn't another phase of play so it can't be that.

I've watched it loads of times now and I still don't that decision.  You see forwards running on to a pass back all the time and they don't get done for being offside, so I can't understand why it happened yesterday just because the Airdrie player didn't mean it. It's definitely a strange one, but in saying that we have had quite a few strange decisions going against us this year.

51 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

But surely the accidental touch from their player counts as a touch from our player (because it was accidental).

I don't know the rule but that's what it sounded like. I don't think it has anything to do with the original pass.

Whether it’s accidental or not doesn’t really make a difference. The ball is played by the Airdrie player to Moore. The accidental row would make a massive grey area with players saying they didn’t mean a touch etc.

It doesn’t matter now in the grand scheme of things, but it should have stood.

I've watched it loads of times now and I still don't that decision.  You see forwards running on to a pass back all the time and they don't get done for being offside, so I can't understand why it happened yesterday just because the Airdrie player didn't mean it. It's definitely a strange one, but in saying that we have had quite a few strange decisions going against us this year.
That's because a back pass isn't an accidental touch of the ball.

Maybe?

Whether it’s accidental or not doesn’t really make a difference. The ball is played by the Airdrie player to Moore. The accidental row would make a massive grey area with players saying they didn’t mean a touch etc.
It doesn’t matter now in the grand scheme of things, but it should have stood.
Do you know the rule better than the linesman though?

You absolutely could be right but the offside rule is pretty complex these days.

5 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Do you know the rule better than the linesman though?

You absolutely could be right but the offside rule is pretty complex these days.

I know a free kick for offside can’t be taken in your opponents half, but that didn’t stop those officials....:lol:

To be honest, I think the linesman thinks the ricochet comes off Shankland. I was not far from where the linesman was and it looked like the ref was saying are you sure it was the Ayr player and not the Airdrie player and he was nodding. Shankland and the rest went to the ref and said it was the Airdrie player and that’s why the ref went to the linesman to confer. IMO anyway.

That definitely should’ve stood. No sure what you’re on about Pandarilla to be honest. [emoji51]
Can you not read?

Our manager got an explanation from the linesman which said that because the touch back was accidental it doesn't matter - and it's offside.

I'm just trying to work out what the right decision should've been, and if that's a rule or not.

Can you not read?

Our manager got an explanation from the linesman which said that because the touch back was accidental it doesn't matter - and it's offside.

I'm just trying to work out what the right decision should've been, and if that's a rule or not.

Right you calm down. And yeah I can read. I think McCall just didn’t want to speak about it going by his interview, it was a definite goal and should’ve never been chopped off.

1 minute ago, callum-ayr said:

I know a free kick for offside can’t be taken in your opponents half, but that didn’t stop those officials....:lol:

To be honest, I think the linesman thinks the ricochet comes off Shankland. I was not far from where the linesman was and it looked like the ref was saying are you sure it was the Ayr player and not the Airdrie player and he was nodding. Shankland and the rest went to the ref and said it was the Airdrie player and that’s why the ref went to the linesman to confer. IMO anyway.

Callum, the same thing happened last season at Somerset (against Falkirk I think). I asked the referees'  observer and  heexplained that that there had been a change in the offside law. If you come back from an offside position, the offense is committed where you first touch the ball not whee you ran from, hence the free kick can be in your own half.

Right you calm down. And yeah I can read. I think McCall just didn’t want to speak about it going by his interview, it was a definite goal and should’ve never been chopped off.
Apologies for my tone, I'm just hungover.

I'm delighted that it didn't matter in the end and also with the lichties result yesterday.

For purely selfish reasons I'd love arbroath to come in in the playoffs. Having two local teams would be lovely. (In an ideal scenario Dundee would collapse as well and join us)

The player the fans are liking from airdrie yesterday is sandy stewarts son I highlighted him as a player way back when they beat us 2-0 his dad is best pals with McCall and in fact was working for Ayr as a scout this year but went to Ross county when Owen coyly went there.

confirmed by Airdrie fans at the last game down at Ayr he has resigned for airdrie along with a few others like watt who is a Motherwell player both would be brilliant signings but both would require a fee which won't happen I'm afraid unless airdie and Motherwell let them tear up contracts.

The player the fans are liking from airdrie yesterday is sandy stewarts son I highlighted him as a player way back when they beat us 2-0 his dad is best pals with McCall and in fact was working for Ayr as a scout this year but went to Ross county when Owen coyly went there.
confirmed by Airdrie fans at the last game down at Ayr he has resigned for airdrie along with a few others like watt who is a Motherwell player both would be brilliant signings but both would require a fee which won't happen I'm afraid unless airdie and Motherwell let them tear up contracts.

Stewart will be staying part time, at Uni trying to become a PE teacher, his dad was on Si Ferry podcast through week.

Archived