The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did you see Hughes against Motherwell?
Please get with the programme not allowed to question the goalkeeper even when he made a complete gaff against Elgin still on here making excuses [emoji23]
Would I drop him probably but again woukdnt be concerned if hughes got brought in , this guff he is the best goalkeeper in the league is nuts and his distribution is great really
I don't think he should have been resigned in the summer not sure what he did to warrant that

Did you see Hughes against Motherwell?
Yes I did.

He was excellent in that game but awful against Hamilton Colts

Perhaps his true ability is closer to the Colts game than the Motherwell. Otherwise why is he not in the team instead of the incumbent?

I'm not a great fan of Currie. I think he is often slow to react, glued to his line and cannot dominate his 6 yard box.

However, getting with the programme, Lennon has picked him over Hughes in every league game this season even after some really dodgy performances by Currie. That must say something.

Yes I did.

Perhaps his true ability is closer to the Colts game than the Motherwell. Otherwise why is he not in the team instead of the incumbent?

I'm not a great fan of Currie. I think he is often slow to react, glued to his line and cannot dominate his 6 yard box.

However, getting with the programme, Lennon has picked him over Hughes in every league game this season even after some really dodgy performances by Currie. That must say something.
Well he signed another 5 or 6 during the summer that he doesn't play what does that tell you?

Well he signed another 5 or 6 during the summer that he doesn't play what does that tell you?
Quite a lot.
It tells me he thinks the players in the team are better or fit into the system better.
It also tells me that they were probably a waste of money.

Yes I did.

Hughes has also been injured for some of the season by the way grant Stewart cogill mcstay all started against the Colts so do want them binned on the strength of that game ?

Hughes has also been injured for some of the season by the way grant Stewart cogill mcstay all started against the Colts so do want them binned on the strength of that game ?
As an aside, you'll find that last season I wasn't as excited by McStay and Grant as others were.
Anyway, I've seen a lot more of them to judge them at players this season and last than Hughes.

I was responding originally to someone who wanted Currie dropped in favour of Hughes.

I think people's views on Hughes might be effected by what I call the "JP McGovern syndrome".
That's when the less you see if a player the better they are judged to be.

I would be delighted if I'm proven to be wrong, end up with egg on my face and Hughes turns out to be better that Currie.

Please get with the programme not allowed to question the goalkeeper even when he made a complete gaff against Elgin still on here making excuses [emoji23]

So he made a mistake in a match we won 4-1 and you want him dropped.

How many mistakes have other players made over the course of the season?

For me Currie and Goodwillie would be in the first 4 or 5 names on the team sheet every week, yet there are buffoons on here wanting them dropped.

For me Currie and Goodwillie would be in the first 4 or 5 names on the team sheet every week, yet there are buffoons on here wanting them dropped.

I think you're referring to me as the Goodwillie bring dropped baffoon. If you read all my posts regarding this you'll see that I wasn't calling for him to be dropped. I merely asked the question because of his poor form. I then went on to say that he should NOT be dropped.
Not one person has said he should be dropped.

13 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

I think you're referring to me as the Goodwillie bring dropped baffoon. If you read all my posts regarding this you'll see that I wasn't calling for him to be dropped. I merely asked the question because of his poor form. I then went on to say that he should NOT be dropped.
Not one person has said he should be dropped.

... and i’m the buffoon suggesting Currie should be dropped- and I stand by that. He doesn’t make enough saves versus attempts on goal in my opinion. He does not provide  confidence  for the defence- that’s quite clear to see- and you never know, being benched for a couple of games may not be a bad thing for him to realise he’s not the automatic choice.

I’m not really wanting to get drawn into direct comparisons with Hughes- it’s just that Hughes is our other keeper-

So he made a mistake in a match we won 4-1 and you want him dropped.

How many mistakes have other players made over the course of the season?

Where did I say I wanted him dropped?
I actually said I probably wouldn't but it wouldn't bother me if he was dropped
I simply pointed out that he has a significant fan club amongst the support and even when he makes a mistake it's dismissed which is fair enough we all have our favourites
More important we get a win tomorrow and get back to scoring goals

Aye our goalkeeper is clearly the issue here. Getting Hughes in and DG benched would be the obvious solution really.

Absolutely nothing to do with a defence who are prone to switching off as unexpectedly as a Poundland light bulb, a midfield with the constitution of play-doh, and the complete absence of anything resembling a skilful link up / prolific support partner for Goodwillie.

Jesus Christ. I honestly dread to think what will be suggested next [emoji30]

Some people really should just stick to eating crayons. Or absolutely hounding their own players with needless abuse after their first mis-touch of the game; equally productive [emoji1303]
But it's alright to come on here and slate them as a group ? Play doh, light bulbs etc ?
Maybe it's where you sit st games but I certainly haven't heard players getting berated from their first missed pass

My oh my. It appears that after the last two disastrous outcomes with managers- wherein concerned supporters questioned the situations at reasonable stages in our collapses, to be reprimanded and in many cases, publicly lynched- a sizable number have learned absolutely nothing. 

Those defending Currie, are generally among the same group  supporting Ray Grant's secondment and yet lambasting Tom Lang, despite him undergoing the same shift from his natural position as the former. This seems rather strange given how merely asking a question of one thing, leads to a circling of the wagons for daring to criticise the manager's selections- and none of those for Currie are suggesting he's particularly great, just that he's the managers choice (by default as KH has been injured for a significant spell)- same as RG and indeed TL when coming in at right-back. Therefore, we must find reasons to suggest he's not at fault for any of our recent poor results. 

I don't know if 'toadying', or wishing not to cause offence is the main thing preventing open and honest discussion about Currie in particular (as i don't believe that many people actually rate him at all-), but given where sticking heads in the sand has gotten us in the previous full year before Lennon arrived,  i'd expect people to have their priorities concerning the club straight- that being its welfare on the pitch. 

3 hours ago, HughieMc said:

He doesn’t make enough saves versus attempts on goal in my opinion.

On average, a goal will be scored for every 3 shots on target (it's about 30%).

In the league, we've faced 42 shots on target. We've conceded 12 goals (although it may be the case that the Elgin goal counted in neither!).

In terms of shot-stopping, Currie is doing slightly better than average. Not anything to shout about, but not anything to worry about either.

On average, a goal will be scored for every 3 shots on target (it's about 30%).
In the league, we've faced 42 shots on target. We've conceded 12 goals (although it may be the case that the Elgin goal counted in neither!).
In terms of shot-stopping, Currie is doing slightly better than average. Not anything to shout about, but not anything to worry about either.
Never really thought stats particularly in football mean that much they can certainly make players appear better or more effective than they are in game time
For example certain players in our squad will have a great pass completion ratio
That constitutes taking the ball off the centre halfs and passing it 3 yards across the park to someone else but you here oh he never gives the ball away same with goals per game again can look good but it's crucial goals that count for me. As with goalkeepers shot saved that doesn't take into account a goalie who won't come and take a cross ball or who saves 17 out of 20 shots but let's in three howlers to lose you three games and before anybody wets themselves I'm not talking about Currie

1 hour ago, SLClyde said:

For this level I think Currie is a perfectly decent keeper. Not saying you couldn’t get a better one, but would have a hard job finding one a lot better. 

I would definitely take Fleming from Peterhead. Probably McGurn, though that's more from listening to other people's opinions as he's actually made a few errors against Clyde. Currie is definitely in the group after that though, and probably at the top of it with Jordan Hart.

As was alluded to earlier our main problem at the moment is scoring goals DGW hasn't been on his best form but he is hardly being helped in my opinion the midfield the service to him is appaling they don't get up to support him I take on board that the formation might not help them

Archived