The Clyde FC 2018-19 Thread

Looking at the options....

The only one i wouldn't want are Dumbarton. They seem to score just a wee bit less than they concede, and looking at their players, a wee tweak would have them higher up their table. Stenny, largely full of players we've played recently/had with us, couldn't live with us at Ochilview after Lennon's January signings settled. Munro would now barely get on our bench, and Marsh wouldn't even be the waterboy for this side. I think they'll go directly down, unfortunately. 

Both Brechin and Stranraer appear half-full of never-weres on the way down, simply cashing a cheque, and their younger players look rather uninspiring going by their stats. If both other Angus clubs in L1 (given Arbroath are all-but-promoted....and that's a discussion for next season) can flirt with the playoffs with little or no player turnover to speak of, i see nothing to fear at Glebe or Stair Park. 

Annan though- they genuinely give me the fear. Not because they're good. But because we'd somehow find a way to lose to them.

Edited by Officer Barbrady

Could this be the turning point that the may go full time if offered, or like some his two salaries combined more than some full time teams can offer.

14 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Looking at the options....

The only one i wouldn't want are Dumbarton. They seem to score just a wee bit less than they concede, and looking at their players, a wee tweak would have them higher up their table.

If I were a League 2 side, I genuinely wouldn't be fearful of any League 1 side.  Only Arbroath and Raith have scored more goals than Dumbarton this year but we have the worst defence in the division. We've got a really threadbare squad and it only takes 1 injury for us to be all over the shop. We've been playing Cammy Ballantyne at left back since January (who as done well) as we literally don't have anyone else, we've been playing our best centre midfielder Stuart Carswell at centre half because the rest of our centre halves are out injured (only resolved last week with Brian McLean coming back from injury and looking every bit of a carthorse) and if teams can keep Dom Thomas quiet generally they do quite well in stopping us being effective in attack. On the bench on Saturday we had a sub goalkeeper and three strikers, two of which have been almost entirely useless for us this year, so we don't really have any ideas for changing a game.

I realise that all sounds very defeatist from me but I'm being realistic.  If we can get our first 11 fit and on the pitch I'd be expecting to win the play-offs but I wouldn't be at all confident. I'm praying we're not involved.

Could this be the turning point that the may go full time if offered, or like some his two salaries combined more than some full time teams can offer.
Cant see anyone offering a full time contract to a 30 yr old part time player who is still contracted for another year, and thats before you throw in any baggage ! Hes here to stay .......

6 hours ago, TheBigGuy said:

A tax dodging rapist alongside a semi-clad DJ doing her bit for anti-feminism (with a subtle wee vicky), right above a dead paedo hunter. And do people actually pay money for this rubbish?

image.png.36906591068a9ebd0d1981822bfc3bbc.png

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

Difference for me with the previous 2 playoffs we were in was that I didn't think we'd win them, and even if we did scramble over the line, doubt we were ready with the playing staff we had or the overall situation with the club.  This time it's different.

The playoffs are like cup games.  At this level, the league's typically won by the likes of a Peterhead, can grind out results week after week, and fair play to them.  But from what I've seen, on their day Clyde are the best team in this league and I think the others know it.  We had a bad spell back in the autumn which meant we were always playing catch up.  If it hadn't been for the admin shambles, would've been interesting to see how Peterhead coped with the pressure as we were closing in, but that's ifs, buts & maybes, it's done now.   

The format of the playoffs should suit us.  The teams we face will still make it tough, but I think we'll have too much quality for them....again on the basis we bring our A game.  If we're just off it a bit, could catch one against any of them, but the way the boys have been playing and bounced back after the disappointment of the points deduction's showed a lot of character.  The biggest difference this season's been the improvement in the defence which you need to do anything.  2 of the goals on Saturday wouldn't be laid at their door.

I'd fancy our chances against virtually anything in League 1, the biggest jump in standard is from L1 to the Championship.

Difference for me with the previous 2 playoffs we were in was that I didn't think we'd win them, and even if we did scramble over the line, doubt we were ready with the playing staff we had or the overall situation with the club.  This time it's different.
The playoffs are like cup games.  At this level, the league's typically won by the likes of a Peterhead, can grind out results week after week, and fair play to them.  But from what I've seen, on their day Clyde are the best team in this league and I think the others know it.  We had a bad spell back in the autumn which meant we were always playing catch up.  If it hadn't been for the admin shambles, would've been interesting to see how Peterhead coped with the pressure as we were closing in, but that's ifs, buts & maybes, it's done now.   
The format of the playoffs should suit us.  The teams we face will still make it tough, but I think we'll have too much quality for them....again on the basis we bring our A game.  If we're just off it a bit, could catch one against any of them, but the way the boys have been playing and bounced back after the disappointment of the points deduction's showed a lot of character.  The biggest difference this season's been the improvement in the defence which you need to do anything.  2 of the goals on Saturday wouldn't be laid at their door.
I'd fancy our chances against virtually anything in League 1, the biggest jump in standard is from L1 to the Championship.

I too would fancy us against anyone in this league over 2 legs haven't seen any teams in div 1 . As you say it's cup games and they can swing on small margins however it is over two legs so that does make a slight difference The defence is excellent Tom Lang is head and shoulders above any defender in the league , Rumbsy is a solid centre half although Saturday wasn't his best game you also have mcniff and cogill for cover
I do think we are one injury away from a real hard time and that would be if we lost DGW he is pivotal ( same could be said with Henderson and mcalistair ) The team have shown fantastic character and huge credit must go to Lennon and Moore for getting them through it

1 hour ago, cfcuk said:

I too would fancy us against anyone in this league over 2 legs haven't seen any teams in div 1 . As you say it's cup games and they can swing on small margins however it is over two legs so that does make a slight difference The defence is excellent Tom Lang is head and shoulders above any defender in the league , Rumbsy is a solid centre half although Saturday wasn't his best game you also have mcniff and cogill for cover
I do think we are one injury away from a real hard time and that would be if we lost DGW he is pivotal ( same could be said with Henderson and mcalistair ) The team have shown fantastic character and huge credit must go to Lennon and Moore for getting them through it

The mountain of self-inflicted obstacles those two have had to navigate the squad through, has been unbelievable. Perhaps the potential for him to achieve at least what he did at Cowdung might be the one major thing to keep Lennon at the club.

1 hour ago, Bulstrode said:

DL still seeks a full-time post. If PTFC empty GC they may offer the vacancy to their former captain who led them to 2 promotions.

For fucks sake, don't put ideas in their head. Or his. 

He has referenced his happy work-life balance on numerous occasions, and his working relationship with Norrie Innes was well-documented, although that of course has apparently altered somewhat. Tying him to full-time AT Clyde has been mentioned, but shorn of any full-time players to work with, i don't see what that would aim to achieve. The reality is he'll go one day, just hopefully not in the near future.

5 hours ago, DutchBorderer said:

Hi guys, I support Berwick Rangers so naturally my middle name is Desperation; no chance of the Clyde appeal netting you/us a result will it?

I don't know what will happen I would be amazed if we get any points back but surely if they have any common sense they have to reverse the 3-0 AR result as iteffect a team that is totally blameless,  basically you are being punished for our mistake. Fingers crossed.

1 hour ago, Pride Of The Clyde said:

I don't know what will happen I would be amazed if we get any points back but surely if they have any common sense they have to reverse the 3-0 AR result as iteffect a team that is totally blameless,  basically you are being punished for our mistake. Fingers crossed.

That aspect of the decision truly is ridicilous, but its Uefa themselves that have set this marker (FC Sion a few years back). The SPFL started two years later, so perhaps the ruling stems from thar fresh example. 

Removing the supposedly unearned points (DF did provide the assist) is one thing, but even getting back the point from the game at Hampden may prove decisive.