The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Is Houstons contract up in January if so, keep or punt? 

I was tending towards punt but he has upped his game as of late so has given me food for thought. 

He is better than McAllister, so it would be keep - even if only on a short term deal. 

I would like another RB in January, however it isn’t the absolute priority than other positions are. 

3 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

After reading the comment about what Scally said about McGinty it just makes it even more a necessity to get him out as soon as possible.

He was generally fine today, but I still noticed he lost the vast majority of headers that he contested. 

5 minutes ago, UpInTheAyr said:

After reading the comment about what Scally said about McGinty it just makes it even more a necessity to get him out as soon as possible.

Aye McGinty needs fired into the sea pronto. Don't allow him to lull anyone into a false sense of security after one good performance.

He'll likely dive out the way of a shot next week, lose his man for a free header and tangle his feet up and fall over when he tries to use his left foot rather than his right. He is one of the worst defenders I've ever seen and we should know as we've had some bad ones.

18 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

He was generally fine today, but I still noticed he lost the vast majority of headers that he contested. 

McGinty needs to be able to 100% commit to winning headers knowing that he has cover. Players are human beings and many will react to criticism by being scared to commit. I actually think a central defensive two or three from Muirhead, Fjortoft, McGinty or Baird should be dominant in the Championship but there is a fear because we have sat back and their clearances have gone to the opposition and come straight back to us.

In every game we have played with a high line, the defence has been better to my recollection. Hopkin assembled a squad, he didn't build a team. Duffy seemed to see the key when he was caretaker but resorted to type when given the job.

I can't be the only person who has had inspirational managers who brought you on after having worked for less able mangers that stifled and suppressed your abilities (33 years next year!). Why should football players be any different?

Edited by Saltire

38 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Is Houstons contract up in January if so, keep or punt? 

I was tending towards punt but he has upped his game as of late so has given me food for thought. 

His contact is up in the summer after being giving a 2 and a half year deal on January 2020. 

Wouldn't mind seeing the back of him tbh.

14 minutes ago, Saltire said:

McGinty needs to be able to 100% commit to winning headers knowing that he has cover. Players are human beings and many will react to criticism by being scared to commit. I actually think a central defensive two or three from Muirhead, Fjortoft, McGinty or Baird should be dominant in the Championship but there is a fear because we have sat back and their clearances have gone to the opposition and come straight back to us.

In every game we have played with a high line, the defence has been better to my recollection. Hopkin assembled a squad, he didn't build a team. Duffy seemed to see the key when he was caretaker but resorted to type when given the job.

I can't be the only person who has had inspirational managers who brought you on after having worked for less able mangers that stifled and suppressed your abilities (33 years next year!). Why should football players be any different?

I agree in terms of the management aspect. 

McGinty just isn’t good in the air though, and it’s something that has been commented on by fans of his previous clubs too. He shrinks into himself and doesn’t really jump. 

They haven’t been protected enough at times but Fjortoft and McGinty aren’t good enough for this level. They are quite blatantly lacking in several aspects and will be playing in league one next year. Muirhead and Baird may worl for a lower half side (though Baird is still young for a centre half) We need better next season if we are looking at challenging in the top half. None are capable of bringing the ball out of defence either,  something which the better teams in the league do well. 

1 minute ago, No_Problemo said:

I agree in terms of the management aspect. 

McGinty just isn’t good in the air though, and it’s something that has been commented on by fans of his previous clubs too. He shrinks into himself and doesn’t really jump. 

They haven’t been protected enough at times but Fjortoft and McGinty aren’t good enough for this level. They are quite blatantly lacking in several aspects and will be playing in league one next year. Muirhead and Baird may worl for a lower half side (though Baird is still young for a centre half) We need better next season if we are looking at challenging in the top half. None are capable of bringing the ball out of defence either,  something which the better teams in the league do well. 

Do young players get signed by Man Utd if they don't have a high level of technical ability? Managers can make or break a player, it's amazing how well confident players can play. I'm keen to see what the next manager can do with the core of this squad with a few additions. Played in the right way they get results

Just now, Saltire said:

Do young players get signed by Man Utd if they don't have a high level of technical ability? Managers can make or break a player, it's amazing how well confident players can play. I'm keen to see what the next manager can do with the core of this squad with a few additions. Played in the right way they get results

Yes, they sign a raw package and hope they develop - the vast majority don’t and numerous don’t even play any form of professional football. 

McGinty has been dreadful at this level for a number of years. He clearly hasn’t developed under any of his managers. 

Just now, No_Problemo said:

McGinty has been dreadful at this level for a number of years. He clearly hasn’t developed under any of his managers. 

There is no redemption for McGinty. He should never have been signed. He just isn't good enough for this level. He's been at multiple teams and has been abject everywhere. He's not going to suddenly turn into a player. If this guy was part of your team at work you'd be trying to manage him out the door.

Baird on the other hand can be redeemed and has been better this season than last.

McGinty needs a good 6 months, get a move down south and get the f**k out of Scottish football if he wants to continue his career at full time. If any club signs him then they have not been paying attention. 

He did ok today, however, at one point he won a header and it fell to Chalmers, McGinty had however, followed it up while Chamers was waiting on it dropping. 

McGinty shouldered him out the way and hit it as hard as he could straight up in the air under no pressure. 

4 hours ago, Lochwood said:

Well sat next to Neil Scally today and had a good blether with him thro the game

Thistle are looking for another wide player Tiffoney like no commitment about any player other than he thinks Maxwell and Reading are good players.

Asked who. The best team in the league is apart from thistle and like me he said Inverness.

Will they go up, yes if they get the wide player they are after, but he said there pitch is really bad due to two teams plating on it and they are worried it could jeopardise there chances.

Can I also say he was cheering every goal and complimenting the Ayr players throughout the game stayed to the death not  like other guys scouting games still has a big thing for Ayr Thistle apart, he also said he had a big say when Docherty went to Thistle there families go way back on and off the pitch.

Apart from the result really enjoyed meeting him today and he feels we have the players to stay up and with a couple of additions might surprise a few like today.

The  big question on Mcginty he just said we-offloaded him as he just continued to do his own thing week in and out terrible individual mistakes until he was told if he didn’t listen he’d be out and the rest is history.

Having sat behind him today Scally did at times appear to be as much of a fan as the rest of us. Nearly fell out his seat when Reading's shot came back off the bar 1st half. Also seemed genuinely pleased when McKenzie scored the second.

Although his scouting report seemed to only consist of taking pictures of the set up we had for both attacking and defending corners so hopefully that performance today has given McCall a few extra thoughts for the midweek game.      

By the way, I'm pretty sure McGinty's contract has an extension clause in it. He signed for a year with an option of an extra year. I hope the club have vetoe on it and it's not based on number of appearances or something else equally silly.

I just want him gone in January (preferably) but June if necessary.

I couldn't countenance him being here next season.

Our defence has been exposed like no other in the Championship this year. Over the years I believe our success or failure has come from our winning or losing 50/50 balls in the midfield then keeping possession (no sh*t Sherlock). 

Do that and your defence is mopping up with confidence and your front line gets more chances. Look at Andy Murdoch today, he was a real ball winner and a more successful distributing midfielder than ever. Joe Chalmers frequently took the ball and kept us on the front foot today. 

A good defence needs a good midfield in front of it. Today we had that. A few more performances like today and the defence will grow in confidence, win much more of the ball and play better from the back rather than hoofball.

We're far from the finished article but the right tactics will get a tune out of this squad, hopefully with a few additions in the window.

14 minutes ago, Saltire said:

Our defence has been exposed like no other in the Championship this year. Over the years I believe our success or failure has come from our winning or losing 50/50 balls in the midfield then keeping possession (no sh*t Sherlock). 

Do that and your defence is mopping up with confidence and your front line gets more chances. Look at Andy Murdoch today, he was a real ball winner and a more successful distributing midfielder than ever. Joe Chalmers frequently took the ball and kept us on the front foot today. 

A good defence needs a good midfield in front of it. Today we had that. A few more performances like today and the defence will grow in confidence, win much more of the ball and play better from the back rather than hoofball.

We're far from the finished article but the right tactics will get a tune out of this squad, hopefully with a few additions in the window.

The main point in this is absolutely spot on, it's (IMO) the case that we have terrible central defenders who are all playing above their level but just aren't helped out at all.  Today the two picked were given help and they got better as the game went on.  Getting through the wee bit of pressure end of first half looked confidence building.  It's why I also think we should look to improve elsewhere first in January. 

Edited by itzdrk