The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Pish. Arbroath aren't substantially better than they were last season and are bossing things. Other than QOS and Morten who are predictably mediocre, the bottom 5 could all beat anyone if their managers actually bothered playing their best XI in their preferred positions.

Aye mate, that applies to everyone but not QoS. We've absolutely been playing our better players in their best positions all season.

We absolutely haven't had our top scorer on the bench for the majority or the season, been playing our best wing back at CB, been wasting our best CB playing some phantom holding midfield role, been playing a striker out of position all season. It's purely down to how "predictably mediocre" we are, our manager's incompetency has nothing to do with it [emoji38]

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The state of those managers though.... Hopkin, Duffy, McPherson, that fitness guy, Hopkin again, Caldwell and McCall possibly? 

Not to mention Davie White yesterday.

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

The state of those managers though.... Hopkin, Duffy, McPherson, that fitness guy, Hopkin again, Caldwell and McCall possibly? 

Aye, the only decent manager in there being McCall who moved him on after 3 months. Speaks volumes for me.

Just read a tweet from Mathie justifying the decision to postpone to derby game. Although it doesn't seem like a big deal from the outside but his engagement on Twitter is pretty good. Something we've desperately lacked for ages. 

That goal yesterday from Adeloye btw was some finish and composure, he hit it from the outside of the box.

We're not exactly known for having strikers who can barrel down on goal 1v1 with the keeper and make it look as easy as that to score. 

His goal return is very impressive to with him scoring 10 already if you include the league cup games and to think he could have easily had a hat-trick in the Hamilton game. 

Amazing how one very good performance and result changes the mood and optimism completely with our squad of what appeared to be jobbers now looking like it might only require tweaks in certain areas with we can play like that consistently 

1 hour ago, 19QOS19 said:

Aye mate, that applies to everyone but not QoS. We've absolutely been playing our better players in their best positions all season.

Johnson has been in charge of Queens since 2019 though. Hence "predictably". At least all the other bombscares in the bottom half had the excuse of recently emptying their previous managers for someone who ended up being worse.

4 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Amazing how one very good performance and result changes the mood and optimism completely with our squad of what appeared to be jobbers now looking like it might only require tweaks in certain areas with we can play like that consistently 

It's not a horrific squad. There isn't an XI in it that is good everywhere but at least the keeper and the strikers are perfectly competent at this level. The problem is the last two managers considered "get the keeper to punt it to the strikers" to be the answer, and then Duffy didn't even bother playing his best strikers half the time.

7 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Its true that I feel much better about this squad than I did a week ago that's for sure but the deficiencies are still there.

The majority of this squad finished 8th and 9th in the Scottish Championship last season and are more used to losing games than winning them. We need to change that and add a bit of steel and character through the spine of the team. We need to sign some leaders a bit like McCall did when he signed Higgins, Geggan, Kerr, Bell et al. It could be that 2/3 signings would do rather than 5/6 as I thought previous to this week.

Have a good January (including the managerial appointment) and I think we'll avoid relegation comfortably. I think a top half finish is already gone though. I'd take mid table obscurity whilst giving some teams a bloody nose for the rest of the season.

Just now, Thumper said:

It's not a horrific squad. There isn't an XI in it that is good everywhere but at least the keeper and the strikers are perfectly competent at this level. The problem is the last two managers considered "get the keeper to punt it to the strikers" to be the answer, and then Duffy didn't even bother playing his best strikers half the time.

We probably need three players to come straight into the starting 11 (centre back, centre midfielder and a winger) and then maybe one or two others to provide depth (striker, another midfielder). Whether or not five new players is possible is another matter though. 

If the new manager/mathie can fix the problem that Kerr, Hopkin and Duffy failed to do (IRC the loan window was still open when Duffy came in) and that is replace Kerr the player I think we would have just enough to stay up without a lot more tinkering, yesterday showed we have enough to finish 8th to 5th in this league with a half decent coach who plays on the ground and can motivate them, summer needs to be the big rebuild.

2 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Regardless of the result yesterday I still think we need a clear out in January. We did play very well however Raith were very poor. 

Sending Afolabi back, getting rid of Salkeld and loaning out McAllister to league one would be a start! One of Fjortoft or McGinty could go too if we brought in a centre half. I don’t imagine anyone would sign the three we want rid of, but even a six months loan move.
We would obviously need a fit Muirhead and to sign a centre back, midfielder and striker to do this. 

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Regardless of the result yesterday I still think we need a clear out in January. We did play very well however Raith were very poor. 

Some teams are poor because of the other team , White set up yesterday to allow them space in the middle of the park as he thought that was their weakness and kept them quiet on the outside which is there strength , got full backs attacking more than usual and was drawing out their defence to allow us to hit on break which we done many times , sometimes it’s good to give your team the credit as to how poor the opponents played 

It's a difficult one, prior to yesterday I wouldn't have cared if we got rid of the lot apart from the obvious few, however after yesterday they all looked more than capable of playing and indeed winning at this level.

It seems to be as simple as formation, tactics and confidence that can make the same individuals look either like class acts or league 2 standard dross.

I still maintain that the youthful enthusiasm, work ethic and willingness to close down their man from McKenzie, Maxwell and especially Bradley was what set our stall out early on and the rest of the team immediately followed suit, with notably Murdoch looking back to his best.

The Midfield were all excellent and even Joe (who I like to give stick to) had a very good game as those around him provided the pace and graft to allow him more time on the ball and to calm the play down and pick passes. Raith were completely overwhelmed at times by the sharp passing and closing down of Maxwell, Murdoch, Bradley and McKenzie, they also tracked back and helped out Houston and Reading when required and were quick to break forward and support Adeloye at every opportunity who also looked like a class act up top.

As I say, one swallow doesn't make a Summer, however the guys yesterday really played for Davie White, the jersey and each other with my only slight disappointment being that O'Connor wasn't unleashed as I strongly believe our formation would have suited him perfectly and I reckon he could have run riot if maybe brought on ahead of Afolabi or Moff, however I suppose that's just nit picking on my part.

Whatever happens, we'll probably need to add at least one Centre Mid and one striker (and RB still a little dodgy) but after yesterday there's certainly a few that I reckon could still have a future that before had looked down and out......

I've been a fan of Mark McKenzie for some time, even allowing for his limitations at this level. The boy plays with his heart on his sleeve and that was a brilliant finish for our second goal. I loved his sliding tackle at pace (it's in the highlights) in the second half - the kind of tackle that gets the rest of the team 'up' for more. Pleasing that Dave White has brought him into the team again and I hope he can stay there.

So much to enjoy about yesterday notwithstanding the chances we missed - reckon RR got off lightly in the end and the fact that McAdams didn't have much to do speaks volumes about our defence collectively especially in comparison to previous weeks.

Wednesday will be a different proposition altogether against a team who've battered us in recent games - can we change that and get something out the game? If we play with the same committment and desire as yesterday, I for one won't be surprised if we can get a result. 

Come on you Ayr. 

4 hours ago, C4mmy31 said:

Rescheduled. Ayrshire Derby, 9th Feb at 7:45pm

Why has it been rescheduled??? 

No need, Get the games played as was voted for last week, sporting intigrety out the window... 

Who knows what the future holds for football.... 

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Why has it been rescheduled??? 

No need, Get the games played as was voted for last week, sporting intigrety out the window... 

Who knows what the future holds for football.... 

Because it's a game worth rescheduling so that it can be played with a good atmosphere. I don't really think any other team has a case for wanting any of their games to be moved.