The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Tbh I think I’d rather have signed Mullen. We kind of knew what we were getting but Murphy is a real gamble 

Would have to agree.  Struggling to understand the logic of not giving a 30 year old a 3 year deal but giving a 34 year old a 2 year deal.  

1 minute ago, Nelson said:

Would have to agree.  Struggling to understand the logic of not giving a 30 year old a 3 year deal but giving a 34 year old a 2 year deal.  

I suspect contract length was a convenient excuse for all parties wrt. Mullin. My guess is that wages were the main stumbling point. Especially given the rigmarole we went through in January with Livi.

Just now, Trogdor said:

I suspect contract length was a convenient excuse for all parties wrt. Mullin. My guess is that wages were the main stumbling point. Especially given the rigmarole we went through in January with Livi.

Are you really suggesting that Murphy will be on less than Mullen?

I wasn't convinced signing Mullen was the right thing to do. He was either inconsistent or he just chose to play when he wanted, he was good in the first few weeks, turned up again when he was looking for a deal and then phoned in to games. He never bothered his arse in the play-offs and left days after. Is that someone you want tied to for three years? 

I'd have been ok with him staying but I'm not upset he left. 

Murphy is older, with experience, like McGuire so he comes with a risk. He's an upgrade on the wide players we have regardless. 

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Mullen was contracted to a team who just finished in the top six. Murphy was out of contract with a team who spent all season staring at relegation, and is two years older.

2 minutes ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I think there’s a presumption that because he’s come from a higher level and he’s a bit of a name then he’s going to be on big bucks. I’d say he’d be on roughly the same as Mullen if not a bit less. 

I have no doubt about Murphy's ability and attitude it's more if he can stay fit. Think he's had a few bad injuries during his career that stopped him going places.  Would say a 2 year deal is more of a risk than a three year one for Mullin all things considered

3 minutes ago, Wardy said:

It’s Mullin. 

You know something, I’ve been one of the few who’ve spelt it right all along but I’ve seen it spelt “Mullen” so often I have now been brainwashed into spelling it incorrectly. Thank you for calling it out though as it drives me nuts. 

See also, Luke McGowan and Chris McGuire. 

1 minute ago, Iain said:

Will be fun when we sign Danny Mullen and people call him Mullin despite not being able to find that spelling for Josh.

There should be a law against that. See also Morton signing Darragh O'Connor.