The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Yes McDonald's always looking for staff 

You may laugh but decision makers at football clubs don't think in the same way as fans generally or folk on here do.

Nobody can take his 2nd place finish last season away from him, he interviews well, he's got experience from down South, so he still has lots going for him if / when the time comes.

Rightly or wrongly.

Just comparing the current squad to last years, the defence looks slightly weaker at the moment as Houston at RB was probably a bit better than McAlister, and jury still out on Ahui, hopefully he comes good, but obviously both FB positions not properly addressed over the summer.

If you take out the injuries to Dempsey and Murdoch, we have cleared out McGuire and McAleer and brought in Pendlebury, and Smith has been pushed so should be stronger but hasnt worked out that way.

Same out wide in that we have cleared out Mullins, JML, Ashford and replaced with McGeady, Murphy and Amartey which is a huge upgrade. 

We were never replacing Dipo with anyone as good, but on paper Rose looks a good signing (Livi had him on trial so obviously other teams were aware of him) but as a different type of player we should have looked to change our style of play to suit. It looked like we had in the league cup but we have revereted to type as soon as the league started. I get a midfield 2 of Smith and Pendlebury would be lighweight, but surely given our squad going with a 4-3-3 / 4-5-1 would have been a better option than Musonda in midfield. The blame has to be squarely with Bullen now, I think he should get some time to turn things around, but as others have said surely he knew what players / types of players were coming in / being pursued so either something has broken down in communication or he's no idea what tactics would fit them

56 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You may laugh but decision makers at football clubs don't think in the same way as fans generally or folk on here do.

Nobody can take his 2nd place finish last season away from him, he interviews well, he's got experience from down South, so he still has lots going for him if / when the time comes.

Rightly or wrongly.

Yes maybe so but he is setting his football teams up to play crap  football won't be helping him last season is past now it's the present that concerns me 

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

Rose started very well on Saturday where he got the ball and ran at the opposition taking on players without a problem, he looks to me like a guy who needs the ball at his feet as opposed to any sort of target man.

The Pendlebury situation is strange but perhaps he had a slight niggle or maybe Bullen thought Musonda would provide a bit more dig and stature as both Smith and Pendlebury are pretty slight for the middle of the park ??

On the subject of playing McGeady and Chalmers wide but leaving a fit Murphy on the bench then I'm thinking that would be pretty crazy given the couple of games he's played for us he absolutely stood out as being by far our best player and levels above the rest.

A fit Murphy would be my first name on the teamsheet.

Agree but bullen  is the man that's coaching them . I've never been a big mcginty fan but what choice does he have other than punting it up the park . To me the coaching team need to have a look at it if not it's going to be a long season . I do get you're point it's only three games in but have you really seen anything that looks as if it goingbto improve ? 

2 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Agree but bullen  is the man that's coaching them . I've never been a big mcginty fan but what choice does he have other than punting it up the park . To me the coaching team need to have a look at it if not it's going to be a long season . I do get you're point it's only three games in but have you really seen anything that looks as if it goingbto improve ? 

There was a point in the highlights where Reading has the ball passed to him by McGinty (both of them were under pressure from the high press). I was genuinely thinking this is the time for a big punt instead of trying to play it out from the back as neither of them looked like they really had any options. I wonder if Bullen is over pushing the playing out from the back rather than letting the players act naturally with it. There is a time and place for both styles of moving the ball. It looked like both of them almost thought about just launching it but hesitate. Lucky Reading managed to beat his man and get the ball away into midfield, but it looks more like luck than anything else. 

9 minutes ago, Hawk89 said:

There was a point in the highlights where Reading has the ball passed to him by McGinty (both of them were under pressure from the high press). I was genuinely thinking this is the time for a big punt instead of trying to play it out from the back as neither of them looked like they really had any options. I wonder if Bullen is over pushing the playing out from the back rather than letting the players act naturally with it. There is a time and place for both styles of moving the ball. It looked like both of them almost thought about just launching it but hesitate. Lucky Reading managed to beat his man and get the ball away into midfield, but it looks more like luck than anything else. 

If that's the way they want to play they need better players to play the system 

22 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Yes maybe so but he is setting his football teams up to play crap  football won't be helping him last season is past now it's the present that concerns me 

If he gets us 5th or 6th this season, his standing won't be overly impacted. That's the way football appears to work. 

The style of football isn't what clubs immediately look for, you only need to look at the same names who get appointed up and down the country to prove that.

Clubs looking to appoint a new manager will look at league positions, maybe points totals at a push.

Along with the willingness to blood academy players into the first team, turning a profit in the transfer market and punching above your budget against other teams in your league will be the things that get managers new jobs.

All things that Bullen can put on his CV.

3 hours ago, BukyOHare said:

With the Hibs job available and the usual list of suspects as likely candidates, it got me thinking if there comes a time when Bullen is shortlisted for a job in the Premiership? 

Surely that, or a job back down South, would be his long term ambition?

Talk about swimming against the tide 😂

18 minutes ago, United1973 said:

McGinty is a siege type defender who's good at blocking shots, winning high balls etc but distribution isn't his strong point, if it was he'd be playing a couple of levels above this as anyone who has both talents won't be hanging around the Scottish Championship very long.

In an ideal world you'd have McGinty always giving the ball to someone else to play it out but the very nature of the games recently has meant he was doing a lot of intercepting and just clearing it anywhere which isn't ideal for starting attacking moves but ultimately is better than trying to bring the ball down and beat a guy at the edge of your box which generally results in a goal if you get it wrong.

I think people often underestimate how lucky we were to have Rose and Bell at the back when we were playing the good stuff as both of them were superb at breaking from the back and passing a ball, of course one was really a decent standard Midfielder to trade and the other has ended up in the English Championship so looking back these guys don't come along every year, we also had Mark Kerr who in modern standards was streets ahead as a passer of the ball and despite his age was generally heads and shoulders above everyone else in the league at that particular role. Adams was another quality footballer who'd undoubtedly have gone much further had injuries not plagued his career.

Who knows, maybe playing Stanger and Musonda together could help us play more attractive Football and create far more chances but there's obviously no guarantee that they'd be able to keep the backdoor closed in doing so ??

Oh well, that's what Bullen gets paid for I suppose.....

14 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

McGinty is a siege type defender who's good at blocking shots, winning high balls etc but distribution isn't his strong point, if it was he'd be playing a couple of levels above this as anyone who has both talents won't be hanging around the Scottish Championship very long.

In an ideal world you'd have McGinty always giving the ball to someone else to play it out but the very nature of the games recently has meant he was doing a lot of intercepting and just clearing it anywhere which isn't ideal for starting attacking moves but ultimately is better than trying to bring the ball down and beat a guy at the edge of your box which generally results in a goal if you get it wrong.

I think people often underestimate how lucky we were to have Rose and Bell at the back when we were playing the good stuff as both of them were superb at breaking from the back and passing a ball, of course one was really a decent standard Midfielder to trade and the other has ended up in the English Championship so looking back these guys don't come along every year, we also had Mark Kerr who in modern standards was streets ahead as a passer of the ball and despite his age was generally heads and shoulders above everyone else in the league at that particular role. Adams was another quality footballer who'd undoubtedly have gone much further had injuries not plagued his career.

Who knows, maybe playing Stanger and Musonda together could help us play more attractive Football and create far more chances but there's obviously no guarantee that they'd be able to keep the backdoor closed in doing so ??

Oh well, that's what Bullen gets paid for I suppose.....

You watch a lot of the prematch drills and it's clearly all about playing short, sharp angled passes on the ground.

The players, McGinty included, need to take that into games,otherwise what's the point of even doing the drills? Whether it be the player on the ball or his team mates out of possession being willing and brave enough to show for the ball. 

Taking a step back, Yes, we've been poor to watch in the 3 league games but were a joy to watch against Alloa and also played some good stuff away to St Johnstone.

In the league we have played 3 decent sides with quite a few players missing and have recorded 1 win and 2 defeats, it's not great but it's also not the complete disaster that some are making out, don't get me wrong, if we lose to Arbroath and create next to nothing again then I'm sure the knives will well and truly be out for Bullen / Mathie, rightly or wrongly.....

13 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

You watch a lot of the prematch drills and it's clearly all about playing short, sharp angled passes on the ground.

The players, McGinty included, need to take that into games,otherwise what's the point of even doing the drills? Whether it be the player on the ball or his team mates out of possession being willing and brave enough to show for the ball. 

Yes, the thing that's really missing just now is an identity / pattern of play, it just seems to be hit and hope most of the time.

Hopefully when we get our ball players in the team and a decent Midfield that will start to change.

56 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Easy to do under no pressure, in a controlled environment. 

With opposition pressing you and the touch line panicking every time you attempt a risky pass it’s a different scenario altogether and something the back 4 just aren’t comfortable doing. 

Edited by AnonGuy7991

18 minutes ago, AnonGuy7991 said:

Easy to do under no pressure, in a controlled environment. 

With opposition pressing you and the touch line panicking every time you attempt a risky pass it’s a different scenario altogether and something the back 4 just aren’t comfortable doing. 

I wouldn't disagree with you but we are talking about players looking to play in the Scottish Championship and a full time squad that should have plenty of time during the week to keep improving any weaknesses in their individual game. 

It all should add to a improved collective performance in matches.

37 minutes ago, AnonGuy7991 said:

Easy to do under no pressure, in a controlled environment

I would assume that they do drills which involve pressing and passing under pressure.

36 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

I thought you were joking there until I Googled it. 😂

Isn't Bullen a Hearts supporter anyway?

I presume she’s on her son’s side…

I doubt being a Hearts fan would be Bullen’s biggest issue getting the job.