The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

10 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

To this day I’m still taken aback that we’ve had no one from Sheffield Wednesday where he was so highly respected!

Chris McGuire and some boy who agreed to sign and then didn’t travel up to put pen to paper. One of his contacts from there recommended David Bangala So I’m not overly bothered if he doesn’t get any more. 

34 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Akinyemi was more of a freak than anything else. We aren’t likely to get that lucky again in any market. 

I think Albinson is roughly the standard you’re looking for. Fairly consistent with the odd standout moment. I think Dempsey is underrated by the majority and was a huge player for us last season, goals aside. Jack Young looks good and if we were able to get him permanently I would be all over that. Adeloye was Adeloye and in terms of a striker is probably the standard you’re aiming for. It’s pretty much what we’ve got in Dowds right now. Amartey should be playing far more often imo. 

I think the issue we’re getting in recruiting from that market is the unknowns. We look to be signing purely off of stats with no one having any deeper knowledge of these players. If Mathie is determined to go down that route then you’re probably better trying to get a manager who already has that knowledge. Dundee did it with Bowyer and whilst I’m not certain on the success rate of his signings from down South, they basically exclusively recruited from there last season and won the league. 

You also can’t build a whole squad on calculated risks. You need a core of players who know the level. Thats where we’re struggling right now. It’s either down to money or we aren’t selling the club well enough. It’s probably a mix of both and again, a better manager makes a difference to the latter one. Whilst Lee Bullen might have garnered some respect in the game up here, I doubt many players are falling over themselves to come and play for him. 

Dipo was a perfect storm, a guy who was at a crossroads, wanted full time football, a new father and was in last chance saloon. Perhaps like Shankland in some respect. 
I am sure that when we signed Rose, they thought, he’ll at least get double figures and that’s something. 

Raith and Thistle have both made signings we could have made, had the other two not been interested, two proven Championship players that make supporters feel comfortable that they are building a competent squad. 

I really don’t see us doing that just now. 

19 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Aye, definitely a sign of getting old! When Josh O'Connor was listed as a sub v us recently I felt so ancient, as I was quite a Garry O'Connor 4 Scotland!!!! fanboy back in the day 🤣

anyone who watched that game on Saturday against Inverness would know that with no signings, Ayr will either be relegated or in the relegation play off. We’re just lucky Arbroath are rubbish this season however I can still see Arbroath winning on Saturday

Just now, Rossco500 said:

anyone who watched that game on Saturday against Inverness would know that with no signings, Ayr will either be relegated or in the relegation play off. We’re just lucky Arbroath are rubbish this season however I can still see Arbroath winning on Saturday

Arbroath and the other teams around us have realised that it wasn't working and pulled the trigger on their managers.

What have we done? Persisted with something that clearly isn't working while hoping that it suddenly starts working.

It's almost as if they're doing it to spite the fans who believe that change in the dugout is necessary. 

3 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Mathie and Bullen have both said nothing will happen unless players leave. So we can try and convince them to go on loan or they can want to go out on loan, or they might want to leave altogether. 

Ecripont has gone but it’s probably not going to cover a full, experienced pro’s wages. We may even be topping up his wage until the end of the season.
I would expect that Young and Senga will depart next week, but we may not have been picking up a full wage from them. So we’ll maybe have the wage for one player by next weekend.
The money from the player fund will cover a signing on fee. 

The club has been far from engaging to the fans to try to get them to buy in to what they are doing. Putting out hashtags and saying at every opportunity that they are close to the community doesn’t mean they actually are. Getting fans buy in and making them feel like they are part of the journey helped us pay to keep Shankland & Moore. 

The engagement is shocking, it builds up to a point the club has to do a Q&A or Mathie does a recorded interview. Player availability is non-existent week to week. Everything feels scripted when we get the weekly soundbites in the Post and Advertiser. Since Robbo took a vow of secrecy, we get nothing out the club that reassures people. They bring it on themselves. 

Thought McCall might have come in for bryden or mckenzie on loan

1 hour ago, D'Jaffo said:

Akinyemi was more of a freak than anything else. We aren’t likely to get that lucky again in any market. 

I think Albinson is roughly the standard you’re looking for. Fairly consistent with the odd standout moment. I think Dempsey is underrated by the majority and was a huge player for us last season, goals aside. Jack Young looks good and if we were able to get him permanently I would be all over that. Adeloye was Adeloye and in terms of a striker is probably the standard you’re aiming for. It’s pretty much what we’ve got in Dowds right now. Amartey should be playing far more often imo. 

I think the issue we’re getting in recruiting from that market is the unknowns. We look to be signing purely off of stats with no one having any deeper knowledge of these players. If Mathie is determined to go down that route then you’re probably better trying to get a manager who already has that knowledge. Dundee did it with Bowyer and whilst I’m not certain on the success rate of his signings from down South, they basically exclusively recruited from there last season and won the league. 

You also can’t build a whole squad on calculated risks. You need a core of players who know the level. Thats where we’re struggling right now. It’s either down to money or we aren’t selling the club well enough. It’s probably a mix of both and again, a better manager makes a difference to the latter one. Whilst Lee Bullen might have garnered some respect in the game up here, I doubt many players are falling over themselves to come and play for him. 

Part agree - they do go watch players.  

But aye if our focus is going to be on boys from the national league and below then we should be looking at a head coach from that level, the Scottish based players are actually pretty easy so go get a coach who has experience in the market you want to recruit from*, use their knowledge and contacts.  

Spoiler

*When you buy Ange Postecoglou on Temu.  

1 hour ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Who else did we get from the bargain bin that has been great? Certainly not Gondoh, Rose, Bangala, Pendelbury, Armaty (jury's out) sure Kenyan was from a higher league but was shite as well. 

Quite funny Pendlebury has the best minute per goal for any Ayr player this season. If you add in his 5 goals for Farnborough he's scored more goals than any of our players.

Does play for a side that's sitting below a Torquay side that includes Brett McGavin so maybe CM in that league isn't up to much. Did see they signed Ethon Archer in November so would be typical if the player we appear to pass on turns out the best of the lot.

@diegomarahenry, you are coming out with some amount of nonsense on this thread today. Firstly suggesting we can hold players registrations for an indefinite amount of time. This is not the case. We were due a development fee for Shankland which was only valid while he was u23. 

Also suggesting we may be topping up Ecrepont wages. A player we released. We aren’t going to be paying a players wages who is no longer our player. We may have paid him money to get him off the books but I doubt this even happened. It was probably a mutual consention to allow him to sign for Stranraer. 

51 minutes ago, Rossco500 said:

Thought McCall might have come in for bryden or mckenzie on loan

I don't imagine the club would be answering Uncle Ian's calls tbh, and they'd be justified. Also, and it has to be stressed here: "not good enough for the Championship" does not automatically mean "good enough for a league or two down". The last ten years alone have plenty of examples of players who left Ayr and could barely get a game in non-league.

31 minutes ago, Thumper said:

I don't imagine the club would be answering Uncle Ian's calls tbh, and they'd be justified. Also, and it has to be stressed here: "not good enough for the Championship" does not automatically mean "good enough for a league or two down". The last ten years alone have plenty of examples of players who left Ayr and could barely get a game in non-league.

I’m not sure why we wouldn’t answer the phone to someone who has proven at our own club an ability to develop young players. It would be an excellent move for Bryden. 

Edited by No_Problemo

43 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

@diegomarahenry, you are coming out with some amount of nonsense on this thread today. Firstly suggesting we can hold players registrations for an indefinite amount of time. This is not the case. We were due a development fee for Shankland which was only valid while he was u23. 

Also suggesting we may be topping up Ecrepont wages. A player we released. We aren’t going to be paying a players wages who is no longer our player. We may have paid him money to get him off the books but I doubt this even happened. It was probably a mutual consention to allow him to sign for Stranraer. 

First point, I said he held on to his registration that stopped him signing for another club, I provided a link to the newspaper article. I then said, maybe we still do. The key word in that sentence is the word - maybe because I don’t fucking know. 

The word - might is the key word in the second point. It common in football for people to move to other clubs for less money that they are currently on to get them off the books, stop paying HR and insurance costs and paying the lesser amount to top up the wage for the remainder of the contract. Contracts are legally binding and a club can’t just essentially sack a player in the middle of it without ending up in court. 
Unless Ecripont agreed to a complete parting of the ways and took a financial hit because he thinks he will be better off playing for Stranraer. 
I don’t know this either, which is why I used the word - might. 

Maybe and might are not the same as definitely is and definitely has. 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

You've come into the thread swinging. 👊

24 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

All Ayr fans to Ayr United right now...

Episode 15 Hello GIF by The Simpsons

Don't even want a signing just want Smith to wake up like this:

Human Resources Parenting GIF by Children Ruin Everything

58 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

I’m not sure why we wouldn’t answer the phone to someone who has proven at our own club an ability to develop young players. It would be an excellent move for Bryden. 

For Ian McCall specifically, the very obvious answer is "if he got better, you wouldn't get him back afterwards".

Also McCall's talent is _redeeming_ players as opposed to nurturing them. If he had a magical ability to get young players to be much better then he wouldn't keep bringing his favourites with him when they were well beyond their early days.

7 minutes ago, Thumper said:

For Ian McCall specifically, the very obvious answer is "if he got better, you wouldn't get him back afterwards".

Also McCall's talent is _redeeming_ players as opposed to nurturing them. If he had a magical ability to get young players to be much better then he wouldn't keep bringing his favourites with him when they were well beyond their early days.

Daniel Harvie, Michael Rose, Luke McCowan and Alan Forrest would suggest otherwise. They were all very talented but moved up the way under him. 

I’m not sure how we wouldn’t get him back given you could extend his contract before sending him out on loan. 

Our young players need more experience, and that one seems an obvious move. 

Edited by No_Problemo

3 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Even quoting Wycombe isn’t the “gotcha” that some people seem to think it is when Jack Young has barely put a foot wrong and is emerging as a very decent midfielder at this level. 

My original post was not a dig at Jack Young, he’s been a useful signing.

I was just pointing out we no longer seem to be able to get players from the bigger sides. 

Has to be a reason for that….,,

1 minute ago, Hazbart said:

My original post was not a dig at Jack Young, he’s been a useful signing.

I was just pointing out we no longer seem to be able to get players from the bigger sides. 

Has to be a reason for that….,,

I don’t see why. We did really well with Kirk and I thought Brad Young had his uses but unfortunately didn’t settle. 

We may have been offered players that we didn’t feel were in the positions we needed or the timing wasn’t right in the window to sign them. 

It’s absolutely clear that the signings of Syla, Young and Senga were made in desperation though. We might see a better quality come in this month.