The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

Do agree that the club probably could do more in terms of supporters buses but we took 1000  to Hampden on Saturday without a supporters bus and Glasgow isn't exactly hard to get to.

There was guys from the Shoot soccer at Whittlets trying to organise buses earlier in the season and didn't get much response either.

40 minutes ago, Scott-ish said:

Do agree that the club probably could do more in terms of supporters buses but we took 1000  to Hampden on Saturday without a supporters bus and Glasgow isn't exactly hard to get to.

There was guys from the Shoot soccer at Whittlets trying to organise buses earlier in the season and didn't get much response either.

Remember we have a big car support as Bill McWilliams says...

episode 2 car GIF

If I lived in Ayr, I’d be right up for organising regular bus / buses, especially if we could get the hub involved etc.

Unfortunately I’m in Glasgow, but might consider setting up a wee “Glasgow Ayr Supporters Club” as I think there are a few of us kicking about the place.

I don't quite know where this modern phenomenon of the club regularly  organising buses to away games has suddenly came from.

The likes of Grigor, Dalton, Doddsy, Cookie and McWilliams were all part of groups who'd run buses from pubs in the town and from the surrounding villages off their own back with the help of others.

The club running buses themselves was generally only for one off occasions.

Maybe thoughts and attitudes have changed but there's nothing stopping groups organising their own buses, licensed premises I would have thought would be delighted in this day and age to have a regular supporters bus leaving from and coming back to their pub on away days.

Several pubs have apparently run into problems getting buses organised because our support is full of wee tadgers, which I find believable considering we were fairly recently one of a tiny number of clubs in the country who required a police presence at games.

The club running into the same difficulties would seem logical. But no Smith must walk!!!!1!

10 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Just going back to this? 

Are we expecting a biggish name signing to be happening? Feel like it’s always a risk at this time of year when you go for a recognised name that maybe hasn’t been playing as much and they inevitably never get up to speed. 

Just the name I've heard from a source that's been not bad this season.  Suppose it is a risk, however everyone is in terms of experienced pro's or young inexperienced players that we deal in.  Hopefully done and dusted early today.

33 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

I don't quite know where this modern phenomenon of the club regularly  organising buses to away games has suddenly came from.

The likes of Grigor, Dalton, Doddsy, Cookie and McWilliams were all part of groups who'd run buses from pubs in the town and from the surrounding villages off their own back with the help of others.

The club running buses themselves was generally only for one off occasions.

Maybe thoughts and attitudes have changed but there's nothing stopping groups organising their own buses, licensed premises I would have thought would be delighted in this day and age to have a regular supporters bus leaving from and coming back to their pub on away days.

Some of my best memories are of being an absolutely honking drunk teenager up the back of the bus from the Hunner n ten.

Used to go to Scotland games on Grigors bus from the Vulcan as well. Good times.

6 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

On McNulty - I would far rather have May, who was at least relatively successful last year. I’m not sure when you could last say that about McNulty!

Looking over both their stats overall, McNulty with a better goals to game ratio playing at a higher level than May.  May a goal every 3.4 matches, McNulty a goal every 3 matches.  Obviously not much in it, but McNulty played regularly at English Championship level.  May more goals in Scottish football, but spent most his career here obviously. 

7 hours ago, Thumper said:

Much like when Liz finally popped her clogs and no bus shelter could advertise trainers for about a month, this benefits nobody.

A football club that can't run away buses is basically not fit for purpose. If the opinion of the owner is that fans should watch away games from the pub that he, rather than than club, owns, then he should be run out of town.

The club does show apparent contempt for the support when it comes to things that benefit individuals. The match highlights are a prime example. It took months of moaning for Mathie to say in the summer that apparently it was important to fans based on the feedback that they wanted a better quality, and they would definitely start looking at the possibility of attempting to find a solution to the notion that the highlight package should be better. 
seven months on and we now have a highlights package that is fine which is the bare minimum. Junior teams manage good highlight packages. 

The club is supported by volunteers and the club definitely needs to be more vocal in asking for help in certain areas. Posting a list of things the club needs support on and asking for people to give up spare time. 

The busses are a minefield and I think the club want to support it but at arms length. If the club run it. They are then responsible when someone is left somewhere because they decided on a quick pint on the way back to the bus, or a bus gets pulled by the police and they find alcohol. It’s no longer a bus full of Ayr United supporters, it is an official Ayr United ran bus. 
They have offered support to anyone who wants to run one, I’m not sure what your point about the hub is, all profit goes to the club and not Smith. He owns the building, he paid for it. 

Local pubs need to step up, a lot of them are struggling but would get good trade on match days as well as the free advertising they would get. 

9 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Looking over both their stats overall, McNulty with a better goals to game ratio playing at a higher level than May.  May a goal every 3.4 matches, McNulty a goal every 3 matches.  Obviously not much in it, but McNulty played regularly at English Championship level.  May more goals in Scottish football, but spent most his career here obviously. 

McNulty has struggled goals wise outwith league two in England and the Championship here. According to this he only played 13 times in the English Champ?

Ultimately both have been on a downward spiral, I just think McNulty’s has been steeper - plus you then add in the lack of game time. 

ETA, May actually has far more appearances in the English Championship with 50 appearances and eight goals.

IMG_2683.png

Edited by No_Problemo

41 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

McNulty has struggled goals wise outwith league two in England and the Championship here. According to this he only played 13 times in the English Champ?

Ultimately both have been on a downward spiral, I just think McNulty’s has been steeper - plus you then add in the lack of game time. 

ETA, May actually has far more appearances in the English Championship with 50 appearances and eight goals.

IMG_2683.png

You're right, I had it in my head his stints at Coventry and Sheff Utd were in the Championship :1eye:lol:.  If it was a toss up between the 2, then May would probably be my pick in terms of probably more up to match speed etc.  We seen last year that Maguire hadn't played for months and that would be the same with McNulty.  Cue a jobber midfielder from Colchester U23s with no senior appearances.

4 minutes ago, ryanayr1987 said:

Is mcnulty out of contract? That would mean he wouldn’t need to be signed today. We need a right back too 

Yeah according to Wikipedia he's out of contract after leaving Orange County Soccer Club who are based in Irvine.

Jack Spong, highly rated midfielder released from QP, aparently one of their higher earners and they are seemingly gutted to lose him.  On further investigation, his is managed by Elite Management who are followed by a certain Graeme Mathie.