The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Eh? An agenda against a player because I didn’t think he did much when he came on? Tap in aside of course. 

I make no apologies for not buying into the hype around him. I think he massively flatters to deceive and isn’t worth moving mountains to get him on a permanent deal. 

You just always seem to be criticising him. For me he’s a very, very good winger at this level. I highly doubt we’ll get better if he goes in the summer which I suspect he will.

As I’ve said before I’m 100% a card carrying Logan Chalmers fanboy so maybe I’m blinkered. 

For me there’s 3 basic options with Chalmers.

a) He just isn’t the player I thought he was last season and maybe showed up well in a team that was playing with a lot of confidence at that point.

b) He’s genuinely carrying an injury of some sort and the whole “bruised bone” thing isn’t just an excuse to cover up how poor he’s been for months now.

c) He’s already signed a pre-contract elsewhere and has lost interest a bit.

Hard to judge from today as Arbroath were hopeless with the game being played out as a training game by the time Chalmers came on.  The suggestion he showed his class during that 20 minutes seems pretty debatable.

I’d honestly be surprised if we offered him a contract in the Summer, assuming that’s even still an option.  

8 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

You just always seem to be criticising him. For me he’s a very, very good winger at this level. I highly doubt we’ll get better if he goes in the summer which I suspect he will.

As I’ve said before I’m 100% a card carrying Logan Chalmers fanboy so maybe I’m blinkered. 

I think he’s very frustrating and could be doing a lot more. 

I think he’s a good player at this level but that’s about it. My main gripes with him come from his decision making and positioning. He has a strange habit of trying to get into the box when if he just stayed wide he’d create a whole lot more opportunities for our other forwards. I think he suffered with Bullen giving him free rein as ultimately he isn’t good enough to just be let loose and do what he wants. And whatever Brown is telling him to do, he isn’t doing it well enough. 

I would happily keep him next season but I’m not breaking the bank for him. If he was able to accept a deal that fits into our structure then I’d be happy with him permanently but I have the fear we get drawn into prolonged negotiations for a month, miss out on other players and he ends up going to a Partick Thistle or a Raith regardless. Make him a good offer, if he delays for too long then move on. 

Chalmers is a great player that plays off confidence and freedom. I’m not sure we have been the best fit for him since Christmas but if you look at his goals scored and goals created, I’m sure he’s kept us off 9th place so far.

if we can’t accommodate a player who is a bit special then we need a style of play that has a working formula, I’ve not seen one yet under Brown, down to injuries and players available to him. 
Chalmers and Murphy are our most creative players. Murphy will be a year older and doesn’t play 90 minutes. 
Unless we sign really well in the summer, I can see us missing Chalmers next season. 

4 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

He has a strange habit of trying to get into the box when if he just stayed wide he’d create a whole lot more opportunities for our other forwards

For me, it is the way we play and Dowds that is the problem. If Dowds was capable and able to find space for crosses, or we were a free flowing team, he’d be able to hit players in the middle. 
As it is, Dowds will be covered by 3 players in the middle and the only player Chalmers will be able to pass to is a midfielder on the edge of the box or a fullback 10 yards behind him. 9/10 times we lose possession on the edge of the area without getting a shot off. Chalmers and Murphy both have to cut inside to try and create more angles for a cross. 

25 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I’m not bothered if players who back themselves to score them are arguing about taking them. Especially when they then score them. 

Sanders running 40 yards to square go a player in his own team, who’s already spotted the ball ready to take one is perhaps something we don’t need.

the massive gormless fanny 

If Willoughby was trying to remove someone like Murphy from penalties, then he deserved shit for it - I don’t think Sanders can be blamed for that. Murphy has achieved more in his career over a few games than Willoughby has throughout his career.  He fronted up and scored though, so fair play and it didn’t become an issue. 

Logan Chalmers now has NINE goals and four assists in twenty starts and four sub appearances. I genuinely think he would need to score a goal a game for some people to admit he contributes excellently at this level. His return this season has been fantastic. 

37 minutes ago, ComradeDiego said:

Obviously im delighted about that result but the feeling of dread still lingers after that Caley win

I'm an eternal pessimist but for Queens Park to escape the playoffs at Ayr's expense they need to hope Ayr lose all three remaining games and either pick up seven points themselves (from an admittedly easier run) or get six and overcome -6 GD. This is off the back of having lost three on the bounce in which they've scored zero and conceded eight. In addition to this, ICT would _also_ need to get at least five points, and Morten at least one.

I fully expect Ayr to get pumped by Dundee United and Partick and to be looking for a home win on the last day to be mathematically safe. But if QP don't pull off a really quite unlikely big win at EEP next weekend (let alone ICT needing to also quite likely beat Raith) then it'll be all but settled.

Edited by Thumper

If we were rebuilding the team for next season, Teale of Arbroath looked not too bad today. I believe he's on loan from Fleetwood? Scott brown link there? (I don't know) I think he'd do well with a older, wiser defender next to him such as McGinty, like Kirk did last season (he came from Arsenal, a much bigger team)......

(That and I'd love to have Teale on the back of my Ayr shirt again, with reason 😂)

12 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

If Willoughby was trying to remove someone like Murphy from penalties, then he deserved shit for it - I don’t think Sanders can be blamed for that. Murphy has achieved more in his career over a few games than Willoughby has throughout his career.  He fronted up and scored though, so fair play and it didn’t become an issue. 

Logan Chalmers now has NINE goals and four assists in twenty starts and four sub appearances. I genuinely think he would need to score a goal a game for some people to admit he contributes excellently at this level. His return this season has been fantastic. 

Willoughby had picked up the ball, told Dowds he was taking it, turned round and told Murphy he was taking it, placed the ball and at this point, Sanders thought - NOT ON MY WATCH.

If an opposition player did what he did, he’d be getting abuse for it. He had to be restrained by Dempsey. 

I’m counting the sleeps till he’s not an Ayr player any more. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

Willoughby had picked up the ball, told Dowds he was taking it, turned round and told Murphy he was taking it, placed the ball and at this point, Sanders thought - NOT ON MY WATCH.

If an opposition player did what he did, he’d be getting abuse for it. He had to be restrained by Dempsey. 

I’m counting the sleeps till he’s not an Ayr player any more. 

I wouldn’t really care if an opposition player did it. The only person with explaining to do is Willoughby, if he decided for himself that he was taking penalties off of Murphy or Dowds. 

Anyway, who cares really -  we won 5-0 and should be okay from here! 

He made the run in on goal which got us the penalty guess he felt he won it he should take it, as long as he score I’m not too bothered.

Think Saunders was pointing out that Max Boruc was standing on the penalty spot and perhaps trying to rough it up. I’m sure they will sort it out in training next week.

Dowds missed 3 good chances in the second half and at least one against Morton so needs someone putting a bit of pressure on him.

Do like Chalmers but he sometimes try’s to make a  simple pass in an all to difficult way.  

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Fucking hell Diego we won 5-0 and you’re still looking for issues that aren’t really there. 

Eh? 
it was a bizarre situation. Folk have argued that Willoughby shouldn’t have taken the ball from Dowds. folk have argued that neither of them should have overridden Murphy to take it. I’ve not argued any of that. 

I don’t see it being a controversial to suggest that one of our players shouldn’t try and distract a penalty taker in his own team to the point he needs to be physically restrained. 
This being a penalty at 0-0

3 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

Aye, similarity with Josh Clarke. 

I think more so with Sanders. I think he was a signing that Brown has actively made to improve the defence. Whilst we have improved a bit we still switch off and make unnecessary errors. 

I think Clarke was more of a reactionary signing based on whatever has happened with Albinson. I think Brown had planned to run with him for the rest of the season but the injury to Mutch and Albinsons form nosediving made him act. 

I trust Brown if he decides to keep Sanders but I think we need someone different as our first choice goalie. 

If you were to put together a montage of the biggest f**k ups of season 2023-24, Jack Sanders would be the star of the top 5 

he was faultless for the first time against Morton. Today he took the ball under no pressure in the first half, stood next to it for maybe 10 seconds and then lost possession in the most dumbfuck defending I’ve seen in a while.

Clark, I’d be ok with signing if our other option wasn’t poor. 

Surely Josh Clarke is not going to be especially keen to leave Celtic to sign for a Championship side who more often than not are fighting relegation anyway?

I'd be extremely hesitant to ascribe any long-term transfer strategy to Brown based on the handful of players he managed to get in when he started, which to reiterate was after the transfer window had shut.