The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

6 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Top 2 should be automatically promoted. Play offs should be fired in the sea. Only appeases TV companies and the Prem team 

Top two straight up and bottom two straight down but there should be a third team promoted and that’s when the playoffs can be used. Winner of Partick vs QP plays third bottom of Premiership. 

4 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

Top two straight up and bottom two straight down but there should be a third team promoted and that’s when the playoffs can be used. Winner of Partick vs QP plays third bottom of Premiership. 

Agreed. Is it too late to change it for this season?

I think the playoffs are pretty much spot on. Of course 3rd/4th should have to play more games to reach the premiership. I also don't buy the arguement that it's in favour of the side finishing in 11th. If we are to get to the final of the playoffs we will have played 40 league/playoff games this season, the exact same as the premiership team. 

If I was to make any changes I would make it top 2 up automatically with bottom 2 down automatically from the premiership. 3rd plays 10th at Hampden for the final spot. 

The playoff format further down the leagues is flawed and unfair with 4th place having just as much chance as being promoted as 2nd. 

33 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

he playoff format further down the leagues is flawed and unfair with 4th place having just as much chance as being promoted as 2nd. 

That showed last season when a team finished in 4th  place more than 20 points behind second and won promotion 

Edited by Finlay21

I think the playoffs are pretty great but I also don't think 4th place team out of 10 should be in playoffs, it's mid table. 

Champ - 3rd v 2nd/2nd v 3rd - Prem v Winner/Winner v Prem

L1 - 3rd v Champ/Champ v 3rd - Winner v 2nd/2nd v Winner

L2 - 3rd v L1/L1 v 3rd - Winner v 2nd/2nd v Winner

Lowland/Highland (champions straight up) 2nd v 2nd/2nd v 2nd - Winner v 8th/8th v Winner. 

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

If we are to get to the final of the playoffs we will have played 40 league/playoff games this season, the exact same as the premiership team. 

Its not so much the number of games that's unfair, more the relentless schedule of two legged ties over a short period of time with little rest in between.

Edited by BukyOHare

1 hour ago, ayrunitedfw said:

I think the playoffs are pretty much spot on. Of course 3rd/4th should have to play more games to reach the premiership. I also don't buy the arguement that it's in favour of the side finishing in 11th. If we are to get to the final of the playoffs we will have played 40 league/playoff games this season, the exact same as the premiership team. 

If I was to make any changes I would make it top 2 up automatically with bottom 2 down automatically from the premiership. 3rd plays 10th at Hampden for the final spot. 

The playoff format further down the leagues is flawed and unfair with 4th place having just as much chance as being promoted as 2nd. 

The premiership team also always has the 2nd leg at home - this is an advantage albeit not a huge one.  The format of the play-offs also leaves the championship side jaded by the time they get to the final game having had potentially 5 knife-edge games to navigate that far. I know which I'd prefer to be.

Potentially 3 down from the premiership is too much - 25%.  Worse still 30% of the championship going up.  2nd top v 2nd bottom would make more sense if change was needed  although I'm not sure it is.

I agree the 1st/2nd div play-offs have a pretty serious flaw as you pointed out.

I dislike the inclusion of the upper-league team in Scottish playoffs. It is pure self-preservation. The even more rigged Champ->Prem system is even worse, even if it did lead to the hilarity of der ***'s march up the leagues getting unceremoniously halted.

Obviously also the leagues should be expanded and more slots added both up and down. But you'll never get your top flight to vote for that.

The best format I can think off the would be the easiest passable change would be:

Top league of 12, keep the split, but 2 automatic relegation spots.

Championship of 18, 34 fixtures, 1 straight up and an English style play of 2 legged semi and neutral final.  2 automatic relegation's.

League 1 of 18 teams and same scenario of the Championship.  Below have a North and South English conference style league format with teams like Talbot/Darvel etc included with Highland and Lowland league teams.  2 lower leagues of 18 mean you are only losing 1 home game, with only playing each other twice rather than 4 in the normal season which would be of more interest to fans IMO.

1 minute ago, Iain said:

What are the chances we get McLean as ref next week? Hoping the club would make a fuss if it happened, but can't see it.

As long as it's only for the first leg of the semi final I could stomach it.  If only to get him out the way.  

Looking like it's going to be Partick we get. QP have been a busted flush for weeks now. 

If, and it's a big if we get to the final which prem team would you prefer to play? I'd take Dundee Utd or Ross County. Couldnt handle 2 games v the DKBs, especially if we lost 

4 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Looking like it's going to be Partick we get. QP have been a busted flush for weeks now. 

If, and it's a big if we get to the final which prem team would you prefer to play? I'd take Dundee Utd or Ross County. Couldnt handle 2 games v the DKBs, especially if we lost 

Would rather Killie, best chance of winning IMO, they have a glorified Championship squad.  Honking away record and not an amazing goal threat, Dundee Unite have the best squad out the 3 and it's a trek up to the highlands for a big match.  FWIW I think Killie finish bottom, County 11th and Dundee United 10th.

6 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Would rather Killie, best chance of winning IMO, they have a glorified Championship squad.  Honking away record and not an amazing goal threat, Dundee Unite have the best squad out the 3 and it's a trek up to the highlands for a big match.  FWIW I think Killie finish bottom, County 11th and Dundee United 10th.

I've said for months I reckon it will be R County relegated, 11th place is the difficult one to call. Killie having 3 home games out the 4 may well "save them". Ross County have the worst sqaud imo especially if Brophy and a few others are still out injured, I reckon we could beat them so hope they pull the finger out and get 11th 

Would vastly, vastly rather have County or United second-bottom and see Killie drop straight down. That way they serve as a consolation if Ayr fail to get through the playoffs. Playing them would mean a) not being in the same league as them next season, b) possibly having to live with having kept them up, and c) possibly having to live with them having kept Ayr down.

2 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Would vastly, vastly rather have County or United second-bottom and see Killie drop straight down. That way they serve as a consolation if Ayr fail to get through the playoffs. Playing them would mean a) not being in the same league as them next season, b) possibly having to live with having kept them up, and c) possibly having to live with them having kept Ayr down.

Little or no killie fans expressing an opinion on here. Too busy brickin it?🫣 

17 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

..............Only way I see it working is if you move Musonda to left back.........

Thought we got the tactics right second half at Firhill in having Frankie muscle in on Graham rather than big Sean. So I'd leave the defence the way it is and get some more support for Paddy against Lawless. Same applies if we have Thomas to contend with.  

3 minutes ago, Jazzar said:

Thought we got the tactics right second half at Firhill in having Frankie muscle in on Graham rather than big Sean. So I'd leave the defence the way it is and get some more support for Paddy against Lawless. Same applies if we have Thomas to contend with.  

Albinson

McAllister Musonda McGinty Reading

O'Connor Murdoch Dempsey Mullin

McKenzie Dipo

That would be my shout for Partick away.  Think Mullin would help cover Reading a lot more, McAllister a lot more defensively sound.  However we all know Ashford will start so that will be O'Connor out and Maguire flung in the mix somewhere.

3 hours ago, Iain said:

What are the chances we get McLean as ref next week? Hoping the club would make a fuss if it happened, but can't see it.

For the record, if its McLean, I am blaming you and you will be the new jinx.