The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

3 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Am I right that this is what we have signed up for next year in (roughly) these positions:

Screenshot_20230522-125547.png

Doesn’t look much of a championship winning team out of that.  4-5 starters at best I would say

Just now, AUFC 1910 said:

Doesn’t look much of a championship winning team out of that.  4-5 starters at best I would say

I've always looked at next year more of a relegation battle than a continuation near the top. 

It will be a strong measure on where the Chairman wants is to be over the next season or two by the number of tried and tested players we sign.

I am sure that we will look to dabble in the lesser known names and markets down south again, but I wonder to what extent?

Maybe it will be a bit closer to home in the 1st and 2nd divisions also.

Every club in the league is going to have the same issue (some more than ourselves) of putting a brand new team together and hoping that it all gels.

I'd say we're in a better position than many given that we have the backbone of the team re-signed plus we're likely to have a decent budget bolstered by funds received from the sale of Dipo (I'd expect £200k+).

Over and above this we have Mathie and Glendinning actively identifying targets and a few good youngsters breaking through who should at least be able to make up the squad numbers.

It's been a bit of a disappointing end to the season in terms of performances but that said, it must have been better than our peers or we simply wouldn't have managed a 2nd place finish and I think that's what many people are forgetting.

Ultimately we're competing against Morton, Airdrie, Raith, Arbroath etc and NOT Bayern Munich, Man City, or Barcelona so relatively speaking I'm sure we're going to be just fine.....

9 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Every club in the league is going to have the same issue (some more than ourselves) of putting a brand new team together and hoping that it all gels.

I'd say we're in a better position than many given that we have the backbone of the team re-signed plus we're likely to have a decent budget bolstered by funds received from the sale of Dipo (I'd expect £200k+).

Over and above this we have Mathie and Glendinning actively identifying targets and a few good youngsters breaking through who should at least be able to make up the squad numbers.

It's been a bit of a disappointing end to the season in terms of performances but that said, it must have been better than our peers or we simply wouldn't have managed a 2nd place finish and I think that's what many people are forgetting.

Ultimately we're competing against Morton, Airdrie, Raith, Arbroath etc and NOT Bayern Munich, Man City, or Barcelona so relatively speaking I'm sure we're going to be just fine.....

The Smith brothers who faced off against each other in the Airdrie/ Hamilton playoffs might be worth a punt if they're available....

10 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

That's both a gift and a curse though as a lot of the players that are signed up are miles off the level required and our hands are tied unless we can move them on. 

6 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

That's both a gift and a curse though as a lot of the players that are signed up are miles off the level required and our hands are tied unless we can move them on. 

I'm thinking more of Albinson, Musonda, McGinty and Dempsey. That's 4 solid starters for next season who are definitely "top half" performers given what we've seen from them this season.

I get that McGinty is still not everyone's cup of tea but I think he's proven himself capable in the 2nd half of the season, especially if he has someone classy beside him and also if he doesn't get exposed trying to cover at FB.

Apart from full backs, we're definitely needing a hard man in the middle of the park, a ball playing #10 type and a couple of proven goalscorers up top plus a winger with a bit of pace who can cross a ball and take a decent set piece.

So while we've got a start on the squad there's no doubt that there's much work will need doing on the recruitment side.

56 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Am I right that this is what we have signed up for next year in (roughly) these positions:

Screenshot_20230522-125547.png

I don’t think McAllister and Hewitt are actually signed up. 

18 minutes ago, United1973 said:

Shhhh you’ll upset people saying that 

Assuming none of our squad players such as McKenzie, JML, Ashford, McAllister or Hewitt improve over the coming months (keeping in mind they're all still young), then I see no reason why they'd be anything other than squad players again this season.

If they ARE squad players, then they've already proven that they have something to contribute so that just provides decent squad strength in depth with a bit of continuity.

That said, we still need at least 6 new starters but if we lose Dipo, Mullin, O'Connor, McAlear, Kirk and even Murdoch ? and the 2 full backs, then I'm sure we'll get a minimum of 6 quality replacements.

If we go with Murdoch and Dempsey as our centre midfield pairing again next season we will just have the same problems we've had since December. Both are decent players and worth keeping but as a pairing they go missing far too often.

I also dunno if my memory is failing but did Murdoch not play just behind the strikers when McCall was here? I seem to have it in my head he did..

1 minute ago, pandarilla said:

Apologies as I've not been on this thread for ages but is there any chance we keep dipo?

And are we selling at £200k? That seems a touch cheap in my book. 

No chance he stays, family moved back down the road already for a start. 

We turned down £250k in January so are looking for a decent bit more (500k imo) 

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

No chance he stays, family moved back down the road already for a start. 

We turned down £250k in January so are looking for a decent bit more (500k imo) 

Nah, reckon we will do well to get 250k that was offered before.  Only way it rises is if there are a few interested.