The Ultimate Super Ayr Thread

30 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Things hit the buffers by the middle of October. October was seven months ago.

I don’t think that’s accurate at all. We beat Partick at the end of October and  we then beat Accies, Arbroath and Raith whilst drawing with Morton and ICT. Our chances of winning the league began to crumble when we lost to Partick and Dundee in consecutive weeks but even then we were hanging in there. 

People can say that some of the wins or draws were achieved with terrible football and for some games I wouldn’t disagree with them but at the end of the day we were only five points off winning the league when we had all written it off way back in January or February. Now there’s about three other teams that could claim they were close to winning it but we’re still one of them and Bullen has to take credit for getting us closer than anyone else in the last twenty years. 

The most mental thing out of all of this is that Bullen could walk away on Friday and I genuinely don’t think I’d be that bothered despite what I’ve said above. I think most of us would be happy with what he’s done in his 18 months at the club but we’d also say “aye fair enough, it’s a good time to part ways”. I kinda wish Friday was already over and we could look to next season. 

9 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Just imagine for a second that the minor miracle started to take shape and you are sitting at home… 👀

I saw the last miracle we had with the helicopter. 

I hope I'm wrong but I just cannae see us overturning the 3 goal cushion Thistle have.

Knowing my luck if I bought a ticket they would announce McLean as the referee and I'd get a lifetime stadium ban for choke slamming him after he gave Partick a penalty and sent off an Ayr player.

Safer all round for me to stay at home.

Just now, Trogdor said:

I saw the last miracle we had with the helicopter. 

I hope I'm wrong but I just cannae see us overturning the 3 goal cushion Thistle have.

Knowing my luck if I bought a ticket they would announce McLean as the referee and I'd get a lifetime stadium ban for choke slamming him after he gave Partick a penalty and sent off an Ayr player.

Safer all round for me to stay at home.

This would be an even bigger miracle!

As much as it’s never happening I’ve been dreaming all week about a last minute equaliser!

Fair enough 😂

I’ll be happy if we just make some kind of game of it, so the season doesn’t just end in complete negativity. 

29 minutes ago, AUFC 1910 said:

A few in the home end too possibly

They have nearly still got 1000 tickets left to sell out their section so can’t see any need for them to try to get in home end , 

30 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Bullen seems confident of there being a massive crowd on Friday, not sure where he's getting that

Going by the number of home fans who have currently purchased a ticket and going by previous games we have a large percentage of fans who buy in last 48hrs 

26 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Does anyone seriously think the club won’t replace Dipo though?

Of course they will replace him, the problem isn't getting another body in.  

The replacement issue is that he's very good and the probability of finding someone just as good is low. 

27 minutes ago, Caledonian said:

No need. He is contracted to Ayr United. 

Here's what he thinks about it. No even a mention of hanging about. 

5 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Of course they will replace him, the problem isn't getting another body in.  

The replacement issue is that he's very good and the probability of finding someone just as good is low. 

I think we’re kidding ourselves on if we think we’ll get a replacement in as good as him. 

1 hour ago, Thumper said:

Things hit the buffers by the middle of October. October was seven months ago.

On paper it was a wildly successful season. But this is a weird, desperate league where few tread water for long. It'd going to probably be the start of September again before fans can gauge whether it's going to be a promotion or relegation scramble. And I don't see anyone raising their heads above the parapet to say that if Akinyemi isn't replaced it's going to be the former.

Hate to be pedantic but the 6 weeks from the end of October and through November we were unbeaten, with 5 wins and 2 draws (including away to Inverness). 

It was mid December when we struggled to put together wins. 

I'll be very disappointed if there's not at least 3000 Ayr fans on Friday night. Aye Thistle will travel in numbers but we should have a great home crowd for this game. 

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I think we’re kidding ourselves on if we think we’ll get a replacement in as good as him. 

This would've been said about the lad we had before him (and I've genuinely already forgot his name). 

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

I've said a few times our best hope is someone 60% as good and better service to them. 

10 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

Here's what he thinks about it. No even a mention of hanging about. 

He did mention he could be in the Premiership next season , he was obviously talking about being there with Ayr if they went up , as he was certainly not talking about English Premiership 

1 minute ago, Roxanne's man said:

Would there ever be a possibility of Tomi coming back? Or has he played for too many clubs, that going back to one where he was successful, would be him insulting himself?

I'd take Tomi back in a heartbeat but then I loved the guy. 

The encouraging thing is that we have managed to recruit Tomi and then Dipo in the last two summer windows. Which proves its possible.

Dipo is really exceptional though, very close to Shankland. It would be quite something to find a player that fills his boots snugly imo.

20 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

The encouraging thing is that we have managed to recruit Tomi and then Dipo in the last two summer windows. Which proves its possible.

Ayr passed on ex Dumbarton trialist Muhammadu Faal, who has went on to score a silly amount of goals in the lower English leagues. He was on trial at Ayr at the same time as Adeloye. Scored against Stranraer in a friendly match I think 🤔  (If he's not good enough for Dumbarton.....)

My fear with that is, it could go either way from bringing players up from down south. Gondoh being an Example 😬

There has to be a few diamonds down there, maybe not Dipo Akinyemi shaped but enough to get Ayr by. I'm confident that Mathie, Glendinning and co, will find what we need.

2 minutes ago, Roxanne's man said:

Ayr passed on ex Dumbarton trialist Muhammadu Faal, who has went on to score a silly amount of goals in the lower English leagues. He was on trial at Ayr at the same time as Adeloye. Scored against Stranraer in a friendly match I think 🤔  (If he's not good enough for Dumbarton.....)

He was a bit gangly if I'm remembering the right guy. I thought Tomi was the better of the two tbh.

4 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

He was a bit gangly if I'm remembering the right guy. I thought Tomi was the better of the two tbh.

He was utter mince in the couple of games he played for us , Tomi was miles  ahead of him 

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah. Really tall, really skinny and sorta jingly...... Like Jack Baird 😂

1 minute ago, Finlay21 said:

He was utter mince in the couple of games he played for us , Tomi was miles  ahead of him 

Credit where it's due though, he's only 25 years old and has scored quite a few goals down south. Tomi looked a better build for the rough and tumble of the Scottish game.